v-Brake spring adjuster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pauluk

Hi. I have an old mountain bike that I intend to play around with mechanically. I've just successfully adjusted the bottom bracket to take out a lot of play and now have gone on to the brakes.

The bike's fitted with v-brakes that don't seem to have a spring tension adjustment screw so I can't centre them at the moment. Does anyone know how I would do this.

Thanks as always for any advice.
vBrake.jpg

lpretro1

A v-brake should have an adjuster screw even if it is just on one side. It has probably dropped out!

OP
OP
P

Pauluk

lpretro1 said:
A v-brake should have an adjuster screw even if it is just on one side. It has probably dropped out!
They probably should, but these don't and as far as I can tell by close inspection there is no place for an adjustment screw. All 4 brake arms are the same so it would be difficult to believe all 4 adjusters have somehow come adrift or vanished.

OP
OP
P

Pauluk

lpretro1 said:
Mmmm - is it not just a little tiny allen key hole instead?
No, no allen key hole either, not even a little one.

I've since found out that early v-brakes didn't have the spring adjuster screws. Apparently you have to loosen the bolt and pull down on the lug that sticks out from under the arm mount (the one in my pic), at the same time holding the brake pad against the rim. You have to do this on each side until the tension feels the same on both sides. What a pain in the a*se.

If I needed the bike I would just replace the brake arms now, but as I don't need it I'll have a play around with the lug when a get a spare few minutes.

Top Bottom