V.excited, Hewitt Cheviot SE fitting next weekend...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
The Cheviot frame utilizes Reynolds 631 main tubes with an oversize downtube to enhance the lateral ridgidity. The seat stays, chainstays and forks are in Reynolds 525 tubing.

The Cheviot SE frame utilizes Reynolds 725 main tubes with an oversize downtube to enhance the lateral ridgidity. The forks are Reynolds 531 tubing. Stainless Steel dropouts front & rear.

GrahamG

Guru
bike_the_planet said:
As a matter of interest, how much extra was your custom audax frame compared with the off-the-peg model?

Probably not a good case study for guidance - the off the peg Chiltern audax (which I think is basically a lighter gauge tubing and shorter chainstays version of the cheviot) is £380 F+F. However I went and got the fancy 'Alpine' version with light gauge Columbus life tubing with carbon fork, which I don't think they do off-the-peg and ended up costing £850 F+F with a two tone colour scheme.

P.H

Über Member
oxford_guy said:
I'm not sure, but the other main difference is that most of the components are Deore on the standard Cheviott, rather than Deore XT - you can compare the specs here:
http://www.hewittbikefitting.co.uk/index.php?page=hewitt

Hope this helps

Hewitts will build either to whatever spec you wanted, the price difference for the same spec is £160. For that you also get to choose the colour, which is a £50 extra on the Cheviot.

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
P.H said:
They are more powerful, whether they're better is a matter of opinion, but most people seem to think they are.

BTW Paul Hewitt advised me to go for the Tektro 720 brakes in the end, he said they were more powerful than the Shimano brakes and are £10 cheaper! I got measured for the bike a few week's back, will hopefully be picking it up in a couple of weeks, can't wait! :tongue:

Top Bottom