V.excited, Hewitt Cheviot SE fitting next weekend...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oxford_guy

Über Member
Have finally decided to get myself a proper touring bike, the Shimano hub gear on my Ridgeback Neutron hybrid is now totally FUBAR after much abuse and I've decided to turn the Neutron into a narrow(ish)-tyred single-speed winter commute hack/pub bike... After much deliberation have decided to get a Hewitt SE, after reading rave reviews (espc. about his hand-built wheels, and the thorough fitting service offered) as have a few tours planned this year...

Anyway, am getting fitted for it next weekend, combining with an overdue visit to an old friend in Lancaster. Am v.excited! ;)

Was not intending on changing much from the base spec, apart from a change from bar-end shifters to Campag Veloce Ergo levers (maybe not as reliable, but better for commuting) and upgrading the rack to a heavier-duty more low-loading one, but are there any other changes to the standard spec people would recommend? Spec. is here: http://www.hewittbikefitting.co.uk/index.php?page=cheviot-se-spec

Maybe upgrade the cassette to XT? What pedals to get? Was thinking of dual flat/SPD-sided Shimano ones for versatility.

Was thinking of a dark green, maybe something akin to British Racing Green, for the frame colour, though am not exactly sure of the colour options. Want it to look good, but not to stand out too much...

Am planning a cycle-camping tour in the Scottish Western Isles this spring with some friends and maybe a short tour in France or Spain in the summer. Have a longer-term plan (a year or more from now) to tour extensively in New Zealand and Australia, where I have a number of relatives (one of them a keen tour cyclist!)... Think the Cheviot should be up to the job.

P.H

Über Member
Paul Hewitt will go through the options when you're there. The changes you could make will be for aesthetic or personal preference reasons. I don't think there's alot to be gained in quality.
I'm as happy now with my Cheviot SE as I was when I collected it 5 years ago. Changes I had at the time;
Used a Schmidt hub I already had.
Left the rack off as I had one.
Maras foam under the bar tape.
Campag Ergos.
Pump peg on seat stay and Zefal frame pump.

I've replaced stuff as it's worn out, chains, cassettes, rims, otherwise it remains pretty much the same. I changed the saddle to a brooks within a month and recently changed the front brake to a wide arm canti.
The colour is the hardest choice, choose well, you'll be living with it a long time. Despite getting used every week the finish on mine is hardly marked.
Have fun.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member

. . . . that, and the colour is all you really need to decide upon. The rest can be swapped eventually.

Ergos are a good idea (even with shimano rear wheel).

Got to be dark blue 'Oxford guy':smile:

I'm sure you'll have a great time - be sure to take some pics of the bike but it would be of interesting to see a 'diary in pictures' of your actual fit - if that's possible...assuming there would be opportunity etc...

just jim

I like mine. I like the colour, which is a dark green. I liked Paul, who knows his stuff. Pump pegs are now fitted as standard!
I went for the SE frame. Something about those stainless steel dropouts was hard to resist.
Take your time with the fitting, ask any question you want and enjoy the momentary pampering experience.

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
P.H said:
Paul Hewitt will go through the options when you're there. The changes you could make will be for aesthetic or personal preference reasons. I don't think there's alot to be gained in quality.
I'm as happy now with my Cheviot SE as I was when I collected it 5 years ago. Changes I had at the time;
Used a Schmidt hub I already had.

Am tempted to get a Schmidt hub, have a cheaper Shimano hub on my Ridgeback (which I will keep on this for as will be using it for winte commuting), which has been great for my daily commute, though it almost seems a shame to replace the XT hub! The Shimano still has a bit of resistance when "off", is this the same for the Schmidt or is it a more advanced design?

Left the rack off as I had one.
Maras foam under the bar tape.

A bit more padding on the bars would be nice

Campag Ergos.

I've replaced stuff as it's worn out, chains, cassettes, rims, otherwise it remains pretty much the same. I changed the saddle to a brooks within a month and recently changed the front brake to a wide arm canti.

What are the best, reasonably-priced cantis I could put on it? I will be spending most of the time on the hoods, so would be able to get full leverage much of the time, so want to get good brakes.

The colour is the hardest choice, choose well, you'll be living with it a long time. Despite getting used every week the finish on mine is hardly marked.
Have fun.

Glad to hear it! ;) Bike theft is quite high in Oxford (not surprising, I guess, given the high proportion of cyclists here), so don't want a paintjob that draws too much attention to the bike - also a consideration when touring in less developed parts of the world, though already have a black bike (my Ridgeback), so fancy something a bit different - will probably go for green as I said, or maybe blue.

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
Aperitif said:
Got to be dark blue 'Oxford guy':smile:

I'm sure you'll have a great time - be sure to take some pics of the bike but it would be of interesting to see a 'diary in pictures' of your actual fit - if that's possible...assuming there would be opportunity etc...

I'll certainly try to put up some pictures of the bike when I get it, though as will be going up to get fitted on my own, not sure will be able to get photos of the fitting

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
just jim said:
I like mine. I like the colour, which is a dark green.

Would you be able to post any pictures? This is currently the colour I'm favouring most

I liked Paul, who knows his stuff.

Yes, I had a very helpful chat with him on the phone, very much got the impression that he wanted to make sure I got the bike setup in a way that was best for me

Pump pegs are now fitted as standard!
I went for the SE frame. Something about those stainless steel dropouts was hard to resist.

I know what you mean, dropouts always seem to get the paint chipped around them, and this should keep that area nice and tidy ;)

ny question you want and enjoy the momentary pampering experience.[/quote]

Percy

P.H said:

I was carrying my Zefal using the pump peg on my Cheviot SE and, thanks to a large pothole somewhere in France, the pump bounced out and into the spokes, shredding the valve fitting end of the pump and rendering it near useless - I certainly couldn't put it back on the peg again (had to cable tie it in the end). The lesson here, obviously, is to avoid potholes, but worth bearing in mind!

And on the other very important point, mine's red. Here he is, relaxing in Spain:

attachment.php

P.H

Über Member
oxford_guy said:
Am tempted to get a Schmidt hub...The Shimano still has a bit of resistance when "off", is this the same for the Schmidt or is it a more advanced design?

Any hub will have a bit of risistance, on the Schmidt it's too minor for me to notice. The latest top range Shimano hub is as good in terms of efficiency. If using a LED light, and with the current choice it'd be silly not to, you have the option of using the Schmidt R20. Originally designed for smaller wheels, it's lighter, smaller, has lower resistance and is so cute.
http://www.nabendynamo.de/produkte/SON_20R.html

What are the best, reasonably-priced cantis I could put on it?

Tektro 520. There was a recent thread, worth a search.

don't want a paintjob that draws too much attention to the bike - also a consideration when touring in less developed parts of the world, though already have a black bike (my Ridgeback), so fancy something a bit different
I went for grey on much the same thinking and because in my yoof I wanted a grey Cortina. At the time it was an unusual bike colour, I got much ribbing about it being undercoat! Now there's grey bikes everywhere...
27547182_af14ceea5f.jpg

just jim

Here's mine:

newhew1.jpg

The seat post slipped a bit on it's first outing, - my fault.
The brakes are (some would say the dreaded) Tektro Oryx. They're O.K though, for now.

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
Percy said:
I was carrying my Zefal using the pump peg on my Cheviot SE and, thanks to a large pothole somewhere in France, the pump bounced out and into the spokes, shredding the valve fitting end of the pump and rendering it near useless - I certainly couldn't put it back on the peg again (had to cable tie it in the end). The lesson here, obviously, is to avoid potholes, but worth bearing in mind!

Indeed, also I'm not sure if there will be space for it, as am thinking its fairly likely I will need a small frame, as I'm only 5' 8". Also I already have a fairly decent Topeak hub with a built in pressure gauge, so many ask the pump pegs to be omitted, as they're just another thing to catch things on.

And on the other very important point, mine's red. Here he is, relaxing in Spain:

attachment.php

Looks very nice, that's some load you've got on there!

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
P.H said:
Any hub will have a bit of risistance, on the Schmidt it's too minor for me to notice. The latest top range Shimano hub is as good in terms of efficiency. If using a LED light, and with the current choice it'd be silly not to,

Do you mean LED rear light or a seperate LED stop light? I certainly intend to use an LED rear light.

you have the option of using the Schmidt R20. Originally designed for smaller wheels, it's lighter, smaller, has lower resistance and is so cute.
http://www.nabendynamo.de/produkte/SON_20R.html

Looks nice!

Tektro 520. There was a recent thread, worth a search.

Thanks for the info., I may request this upgrade, or possibly even the 720s

I went for grey on much the same thinking and because in my yoof I wanted a grey Cortina. At the time it was an unusual bike colour, I got much ribbing about it being undercoat! Now there's grey bikes everywhere...
27547182_af14ceea5f.jpg

Looks quite classy ;)

Top Bottom