V.excited, Hewitt Cheviot SE fitting next weekend...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnb5271

Are you sure you're not mixing your Tektros up?
The 520 have only been available for a year or so. Hewitts used to come with Tektro Oryx.

PH you are indeed right my mistake it was the Oryx, sorry about that.

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
johnb5271 said:
PH you are indeed right my mistake it was the Oryx, sorry about that.

So are the 520 and 720s better than the Shimano BR550s as fitted to the current spec. Cheviot SE?

johnb5271

So are the 520 and 720s better than the Shimano BR550s as fitted to the current spec. Cheviot SE?

Sorry I cannot answer that for you as I have not used them or even seen them,good chance someone else here will have if not you will get an unbiased view during your fitting as Paul will order what you spec

asterix

Comrade Member
Percy said:
I was carrying my Zefal using the pump peg on my Cheviot SE and, thanks to a large pothole somewhere in France, the pump bounced out and into the spokes, shredding the valve fitting end of the pump and rendering it near useless - I certainly couldn't put it back on the peg again (had to cable tie it in the end). The lesson here, obviously, is to avoid potholes, but worth bearing in mind!

]

When I bought a zefal recently I gave Spa Cycles the frame details and they sent a size longer pump than I expected. It fitted very well and the shorter size may not have been firm enough on the peg.

G'day

After much deliberation have decided to get a Hewitt SE, after reading rave reviews (espc. about his hand-built wheels, and the thorough fitting service offered) as have a few tours planned this year...

Anyway, am getting fitted for it next weekend, combining with an overdue visit to an old friend in Lancaster. Am v.excited!

I'd be interested to hear about your fit goes - Paul Hewitt has a reputation for a comprehensive fitting service. But if I understand things correctly, the frames of bikes such as his Cheviot only come in four sizes anyway - a sadly common problem with most of-the-peg bikes these days. This means that, unless your dimensions are such that your measurements fit nicely on to one frame, the fitting will be a compromise requiring an excessively short/long stem or a seat post requiring excessive set back.

The only off-the-peg 700c-wheeled tourer that seems to come in enough sizes to really fit most people is the Thorn Club Tour - I think they come in 10 sizes now.

When I last looked at the Cheviott specs, at 6'3", I wouldn't have fitted even the largest one without an excessively long stem.

Good luck.

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
bike_the_planet said:
G'day
I'd be interested to hear about your fit goes - Paul Hewitt has a reputation for a comprehensive fitting service. But if I understand things correctly, the frames of bikes such as his Cheviot only come in four sizes anyway - a sadly common problem with most of-the-peg bikes these days. This means that, unless your dimensions are such that your measurements fit nicely on to one frame, the fitting will be a compromise requiring an excessively short/long stem or a seat post requiring excessive set back.

The only off-the-peg 700c-wheeled tourer that seems to come in enough sizes to really fit most people is the Thorn Club Tour - I think they come in 10 sizes now.

When I last looked at the Cheviott specs, at 6'3", I wouldn't have fitted even the largest one without an excessively long stem.

I'm only 5' 8", hopefully one of the frame sizes will be suitable for me

Percy

asterix said:
When I bought a zefal recently I gave Spa Cycles the frame details and they sent a size longer pump than I expected. It fitted very well and the shorter size may not have been firm enough on the peg.

Yes, the measurements quoted on the different sizes seem to give quite a loose fit. I found the same thing and sent the first pump I bought, which was 'meant' to fit, back and got the larger size, which was a much tighter fit.

GrahamG

Guru
bike_the_planet said:
G'day

Good luck.

They offer a custom frame building service too - I ended up getting one after my fit showed up some unusual dimensions. That was for an audax bike though.

Oxford Guy - If you're thinking of a Schmidt, I'd suggest just mail ordering one to take up there and leave with Paul to build into the wheel for you to save paying for a front hub you're unlikely to use.

I'll second the 'size-up' recommendation for the seat stay pump pip - mine is absolutely solid on there, and don't forget it should really have a velcro tie or something similar as a backup.

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
GrahamG said:
They offer a custom frame building service too - I ended up getting one after my fit showed up some unusual dimensions. That was for an audax bike though.

Oxford Guy - If you're thinking of a Schmidt, I'd suggest just mail ordering one to take up there and leave with Paul to build into the wheel for you to save paying for a front hub you're unlikely to use.

SJS have the 36 hole version of the SON 28 for £172.99
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Schmidt-Schmidt-28-Disc-Dynamo-Front-Hub-36-Hole--Silver-3988.htm

Before I order, is there anywhere else I could get this cheaper (e.g. from Europe)? Thanks

johnb5271

oxford_guy;581781][quote=GrahamG said:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Schmidt-Schmidt-28-Disc-Dynamo-Front-Hub-36-Hole--Silver-3988.htm

Before I order, is there anywhere else I could get this cheaper (e.g. from Europe)? Thanks

Not this but by all accounts just as good, I have the older version of this and it is an excellent piece of equipment. Plus you would still have a £100 spare to go towards your racks.http://www.roseversand.de/output/controller.aspx?cid=156&detail=10&detail2=9829

P.H

Über Member
oxford_guy said:

That link is for the disk brake version. The standard hub is £144 from SJS or £130 from Bike Plus;
http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/cgi-bin/q...s_seen=10&page=search.html&and=1&affiliate_id=

It'd be worth asking Paul Hewitt first though, he may be able to get a better price.

P.H

Über Member
oxford_guy said:

They are more powerful, whether they're better is a matter of opinion, but most people seem to think they are.

As a matter of interest, how much extra was your custom audax frame compared with the off-the-peg model?

I've just fitted a Schmidt to my nomad (retrofitted with a rohloff) and my wife's club tour. We're very impressed with them. They work really well with the Lumotec LED Fly front lamp with auto-sensor. I fitted 32 hole versions as our rohloffs are already 32 hole anyway. It's a relief not having to worry about whether your batteries will hold out.

Good luck

U

User482

Oxford Guy - very nice!

I know that the standard Cheviot uses a cheaper tubeset - does anyone know how it rides in comparison to the SE?

johnb5271

User482 said:
I know that the standard Cheviot uses a cheaper tubeset - does anyone know how it rides in comparison to the SE?

I have never ridden one but I think the standard one is the same frameset that is sold by Byers cycles and a few other shops rebadged and I have heard it is a nice frame to ride, the Aravis I think it is called.

Top Bottom