V.excited, Hewitt Cheviot SE fitting next weekend...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
oxford_guy said:
Do you mean LED rear light or a seperate LED stop light? I certainly intend to use an LED rear light.

Ah - I think you mean a dynamo powered front LED light, I see what you mean now. Isn't that hub meant for smaller 20" wheels though, like on Bromptons?

Percy

oxford_guy said:
Looks very nice, that's some load you've got on there!

Yeah, I was away for around 10 months, camping. There's little I would omit with the benefit of hindsight - I was literally living on my bike.

I have to say though that if (when) I do another trip like that I will be using a bike with 26" wheels. I found the 700cs to be a bit fragile with the load and such extended abuse.

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
Percy said:
I have to say though that if (when) I do another trip like that I will be using a bike with 26" wheels. I found the 700cs to be a bit fragile with the load and such extended abuse.

Yeah, I did consider 26" wheels, but prefer 700c wheels both aesthetically (this is important! ;)) and for the ride. The touring I have planned for the near future is currently only in Europe and Australasia, where as I understand 700c wheel/tyre availability is good.

P.H

Über Member
oxford_guy said:
Ah - I think you mean a dynamo powered front LED light, I see what you mean now.

Yes LED front light, current options from B&M, Schmidt, Solidlights and Supernova. Beam patterns here, which shows why they're better than halogen lights. Plus you'll never have to buy another bulb.

Isn't that hub meant for smaller 20" wheels though, like on Bromptons?
It was designed for them, but because LEDs reach full power at such low speeds Schmidt are saying it's suitable for larger wheels. My Supernova E3 light reaches full brightness at less than 5mph, with a 20R it would be around 7mph. It's a bright steady light at lower speeds, basicaly as soon as it's moving, so I doubt I'd notice the difference. The Solidlights might be an exception to this as it uses 2 LEDs. In comparison, my Halogen lights reached full brightness ar around 9mph.

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
P.H said:
Yes LED front light, current options from B&M, Schmidt, Solidlights and Supernova. Beam patterns here, which shows why they're better than halogen lights. Plus you'll never have to buy another bulb.

Sounds good...

It was designed for them, but because LEDs reach full power at such low speeds Schmidt are saying it's suitable for larger wheels. My Supernova E3 light reaches full brightness at less than 5mph, with a 20R it would be around 7mph. It's a bright steady light at lower speeds, basicaly as soon as it's moving, so I doubt I'd notice the difference. The Solidlights might be an exception to this as it uses 2 LEDs. In comparison, my Halogen lights reached full brightness ar around 9mph.

Won't the OLN size be too small? Though I suppose you could use lots of spacers

Percy

oxford_guy said:
Yeah, I did consider 26" wheels, but prefer 700c wheels both aesthetically (this is important! :evil:) and for the ride. The touring I have planned for the near future is currently only in Europe and Australasia, where as I understand 700c wheel/tyre availability is good.

I agree - aesthetically and for the actual ride they are preferable. Depending on where you're going in Europe, you may find sourcing replacement tyres slightly problematic, depending on your requirements for width (a lot of places only stock very thin racing tyres in 700c) - that was the main problem I had, as well as a slight (!) problem with the rear hub (see attached pic).

I've not actually looked into it since I've been back - the wheel itself got left in Italy - but I think the wheel (which was made by Paul Hewitt especially with a Sun Rhyno rim just before I left) may have simply been too strong, putting increased pressure on the hub (which was XT, as came with the Cheviot SE). My load obviously didn't help, and I had been riding pretty much every day for about 5 months when it went, but it wasn't as heavy as it looked, the load was well distributed and I tried to avoid big bumps wherever possible and...well, I just never expected such a good quality hub to go like that, to be honest. Still - you live and learn!

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
BigonaBianchi said:
I like British racing green, looks nice, goes well witha leather brooks...reminds me of an old e type jag

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines, though am not sure if my backside could cope with a Brooks saddle, may stick with the San Rolls...

johnb5271

You will really appreciate the wait for the bike when you get it, mine is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden and they look well too.

When you go to Paul's shop for the fitting you will have to show a good degree of patience during the fitting, as like any other bike shop he has a staff unfortunately many of his customers prefer to deal personally with him either by phone or in person and that will happen during your fitting.

I have seen postings on some forums where people were enraged that this happened during their fittings,but on that I wasnt bothered but during one of my outings last summer I made an adjustment to my drivetrain and when I got back on the bike I couldnt change gears, a quick phone call to Paul, panniers pulled off, bike upturned and he talked me through the adjustment and bike as good as new, all this on a Saturday afternoon when no doubt he had a customer sitting on the jig having a fitting. so it works both ways.

On the Chevoitt SE He is now using Shimano BR550 Canti brakes and they are excellent.

Enjoy your bike and here is a few pics of mine with the Blackburn supplied rack and the Tubus Cosmo stainless rear and the Tubus Nova front, the Tubus racks are far superior to anything else out there in my opinion

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
johnb5271 said:
You will really appreciate the wait for the bike when you get it, mine is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden and they look well too.

When you go to Paul's shop for the fitting you will have to show a good degree of patience during the fitting, as like any other bike shop he has a staff unfortunately many of his customers prefer to deal personally with him either by phone or in person and that will happen during your fitting.

I have seen postings on some forums where people were enraged that this happened during their fittings,but on that I wasnt bothered but during one of my outings last summer I made an adjustment to my drivetrain and when I got back on the bike I couldnt change gears, a quick phone call to Paul, panniers pulled off, bike upturned and he talked me through the adjustment and bike as good as new, all this on a Saturday afternoon when no doubt he had a customer sitting on the jig having a fitting. so it works both ways.

Sure, thanks for the advice, I'm usually pretty patient about things, so I don't think this would bother me too much. I haven't ridden a drop bar bike since my teens, so think its going to be worth waiting for a decent fitting.

On the Chevoitt SE He is now using Shimano BR550 Canti brakes and they are excellent.

Do you reckon its worth sticking with these rather than going to the Tektro 520/720s?

Enjoy your bike and here is a few pics of mine with the Blackburn supplied rack and the Tubus Cosmo stainless rear and the Tubus Nova front, the Tubus racks are far superior to anything else out there in my opinion

Looks very nice! :thumbsup: I may hold on the front racks for now, and just go for a bar bag, but the Tubus Cosmo looks like a good choice - expensive, but probably bomb-proof.

Did you stick with the stock gear ratios? BTW are those Campag Veloce shifters you've got there? Was thinking of going that route, so would be interested to hear how you got on with them. I think bar end shifters would just annoy me when commuting, though I understand the arguments in favour of them, particularly on an extended tour.

johnb5271

View attachment 2148

View attachment 2149
Do you reckon its worth sticking with these rather than going to the Tektro 520/720s?
Paul used the Tektro 520 on the SE before changing to the Shimao BR550 he said it was in effect an upgrade and he was right, I have the tektros on a Galaxy and they are a far better brake.

Did you stick with the stock gear ratios?
Yes he reccomended a 22 32 44 front and a 34 rear for cyclecamping which suits me fine but he said if I was not going to use it for camping a 26 36 48 front and a 32 rear would be better suited.

BTW are those Campag Veloce shifters you've got there? Was thinking of going that route, so would be interested to hear how you got on with them.
Yes they are the 2006 version and I find them great to use compared to the Shimano Tiagra I have on the Galaxy, especially if you are thinking of using a barbag

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
johnb5271 said:
Paul used the Tektro 520 on the SE before changing to the Shimao BR550 he said it was in effect an upgrade and he was right, I have the tektros on a Galaxy and they are a far better brake.

Okay, thanks, will probably stick with the BR550s then

Yes he reccomended a 22 32 44 front and a 34 rear for cyclecamping which suits me fine but he said if I was not going to use it for camping a 26 36 48 front and a 32 rear would be better suited.

I'll be using it for cycle camping, but also for general commuting - not sure what the best compromise would be for gear ratios...

Yes they are the 2006 version and I find them great to use compared to the Shimano Tiagra I have on the Galaxy, especially if you are thinking of using a barbag

Yes, it was the 2006 version Paul Hewitt was recommending I go for. I assume the reference to the bar bag is because of better cable routing with the Campag Veloce?

johnb5271

Yes, it was the 2006 version Paul Hewitt was recommending I go for. I assume the reference to the bar bag is because of better cable routing with the Campag Veloce?
yes these pics will give you a better idea off it

P.H

Über Member
johnb5271 said:
View attachment 2148

View attachment 2149 Paul used the Tektro 520 on the SE before changing to the Shimao BR550 he said it was in effect an upgrade and he was right, I have the tektros on a Galaxy and they are a far better brake.

Are you sure you're not mixing your Tektros up?
The 520 have only been available for a year or so. Hewitts used to come with Tektro Oryx. I was happy enough with the Oryx, only changing to accomodate a new light bracket. A wide arm canti will be more powerfull than a low profile one, it's a matter of leverage rather than opinion.

Nice photos BTW.

Top Bottom