Valve

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
This is the valve I have on my Giant TCR Advanced which are tubeless. The tyre on the front is keeping the air in but the rear tyre is not. What could be the issue? I'm aware that tubeless loses air more quickly but its not that because its not keeping air in sufficiently long enough for a ride.

Attachments

• IMG_20200412_113839.jpg
    IMG_20200412_113839.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 6

C R

Guru
This is the valve I have on my Giant TCR Advanced which are tubeless. The tyre on the front is keeping the air in but the rear tyre is not. What could be the issue? I'm aware that tubeless loses air more quickly but its not that because its not keeping air in sufficiently long enough for a ride.
Not sure what is the question. So the rear tyre does not keep the air in. Have you established that the valve is the culprit?

Ajax Bay

Guru
What's an out of focus presta valve got to do with a tubeless tyre losing pressure? What could be the issue? Rim tape. Bead/rim seating. Inadequate amount or spread of sealant. Perhaps the OP could share what wheel, what rim, what tyre.

13 rider

Guru
The value core is removable and you could try tightening it the the tool that should have come with the bike . Have you checked the sealant levels . You can do it with a syringe through the value core .My guess is dried out sealant or loss of sealant

Reactions: C R

boydj

Legendary Member
Agree with the above - you need to get some sealant in there. You can do this either through the valve if the core can be removed, or by peeling back a bit of the tyre bead.

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Thanks for all your replies guys. I've never replaced the sealant - how do I do this and what sealant should I use? I'm a complete newbie when it comes to tubeless, so you have to give me loads of info!

Thanks in advance

13 rider

Guru
Search YouTube for how to set up tubeless tyres loads of useful videos I like the GCN ones .
How long have you had the bike ? . As a tough guide your sealant needs checking every six months or sooner

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
Given the OP seems not to have mounted/fitted this tyre themselves, I'd recommend removal, cleaning, rim tape replacement and then setting it up themselves, using the 'tough' advice from @13 rider for assistance.

D

Deleted member 23692

Doesn't look like a tubeless valve to me. Was it bought as a tubeless set up? New bikes rarely come tubeless due to the shelf like if the sealant being relatively short. I can't see any flats on the valve core do if not be surprised if there's a tube in there

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Doesn't look like a tubeless valve to me. Was it bought as a tubeless set up? New bikes rarely come tubeless due to the shelf like if the sealant being relatively short. I can't see any flats on the valve core do if not be surprised if there's a tube in there

Its definitely tubeless

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Tube...1Kasce981gMIrmM-kxobdeOBdMNuV8IaAoLzEALw_wcB#
Something like this makes life easy . You can get similar sryinges for feeding lambs which will be cheaper . You will need the little key to remove the valve core . Giant do their own sealant which is what was probably fitted . I am currently using muc off and can vouch for it working . Stan's sealant appears to the well rated as does orange sealant

Thanks for that. How much sealant do I put in?

And is this the key I use to remove the valve core?

Attachments

• IMG_20200413_112500.jpg
    IMG_20200413_112500.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Yes that's looks like it will fit the valve core.
I run about 30ml in a 25 mm tyre if your not bothered so much about weight and speed add more it won't do any harm . Bigger tyre will require more but I presume yours are giant gravia 25mm that are on my TCR as well

Top Bottom