Valve

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
After a year I suspect there will be very little sealant left in the tyre . I was recommended to do it every six months
Your wheel rims are designed to be tubeless so I believe you will need to fit a tyre that is designed to be tubeless
Yes you can use tubes in the giant gravia tyres . As the wheel and gravia tyre were designed together these will be the easiest to fit .

Thanks for getting back to me. I've basically got two options - stick with the tubeless and replenish the sealant or put tubes in and use the gravia tyres/wheels. To me tubeless seems more of a faff but it is the first time I've had tubeless and I do like the way they roll.

Of note, if I were to change to tubes on the gravia tyres/wheels, is it a bit of a mess to do it?

Ajax Bay

Guru
The front tyre keeps firm for about a week.
With functional sealant I'd be disappointed if my tyre(s) became soft within 14 days, let alone 7. Once you've sorted the rear tyre (by putting in more sealant or using a tube) I recommend attention to the front.
"Is it a bit of a mess?" I suspect not because any sealant is completely dried up. I'd pull the tyres off, clean off the dried sealant on the edges of the rims where the tyre beads sit, and then (having taken out the valves) bang in tubes and ride on.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
The two options are the easiest choices with a limited knowledge of setting up tubeless .
The only mess involved will be removing the old sealant which I suspect there won't be any in the rear wheel .
My choice would be to add sealant through the valve core to the rear wheel spin the wheel and see if it seals nothing to lose .
Tubeless are just different to traditional tubes and just require some new skills andcI think the pros out weigh the cons

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
After a year I suspect there will be very little sealant left in the tyre . I was recommended to do it every six months
Your wheel rims are designed to be tubeless so I believe you will need to fit a tyre that is designed to be tubeless
Yes you can use tubes in the giant gravia tyres . As the wheel and gravia tyre were designed together these will be the easiest to fit .

Thanks - you've been very helpful.

Is this what you're using:

View: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Muc-Off-827-Puncture-Hassle-140ml/dp/B07DWHYVGH/ref=sr_1_2?crid=NVRIB940JMFK&dchild=1&keywords=muc+off+sealant&qid=1587564132&sprefix=muc+off+sea%2Caps%2C159&sr=8-2

Should I buy a separate syringe thingy?

13 rider

Guru

Yes that's what I use ,only been using it for 2 months but it has sealed 1 puncture . You can add this straight from the bag as it has a nozzle but you have no way of measuring it ,A syringe is not a bad price if kit to have to enable you to check what's in the tyre and add the correct amounts

Ajax Bay

Guru
You have Giant Gravia 25mm.
1587637472050.png

If you're going to run your tyres tubeless, then you need tubeless (sometimes styled with an additional 'ready' in their name). Here's a comparison site and a test site:
https://road.cc/content/buyers-guid...-tyres-all-your-options-new-technology-rubber
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews

13 rider

Guru
Does this mean I'm limited as to what tyres I can buy?
The answer is maybe , unfortunately tyre and rim manufacturers haven't agreed a standard and tolerances vary so a tyre that fits 1 rim you will struggle to fit on another and until you try you won't know . The easiest option is fit what you know fits that is the giant gravia which I run on my giant and it seems a decent tyre and I'm in no rush o change to another brand

Top Bottom