Van Nicholas Stockists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
@Johnno260 Thanks for the sympathy, as you say the most important thing is that I'm OK. I'll keep you updated on progress, I would post some photo's to get opinions but don't want to jeopardise my future discussions with Ribble.
What I would like to say is that if there any other Ribble Ti owners reading this I would suggest they check their frames regularly & very carefully, I'm pretty sure there was no sign of these cracks just a couple of days ago so they must have happened in the last ride or two.

How did it go with Ribble? are you waiting to hear back still?

wonderloaf

Veteran
How did it go with Ribble? are you waiting to hear back still?
All going well, a new frame is being posted out to me today. To be fair to Ribble so far their Customer Service & Returns Departments have been exemplary, I sent my initial claim in late at night on Thursday 16th Sept, had a phone call with the CS Dept on the Friday and since then the returns process has been very smooth.
Now I just need Parcel Force to do their bit and get the frame to me, hopefully I'll have it by the end of the week so I can spend the weekend building the bike back up and I can get back out on the gravel before the weather gets too rubbish!

wonderloaf

Veteran
I've now received my new frame from Ribble so as promised a few pics showing the extent of the downtube cracks on my old CGR Ti:
1632949935558.png
1632949999904.png
1632950102653.png

The frame was just under 3 years old with about 11,000 miles on it, mostly ridden on the road but probably with a few hundred gravel miles as well.
I think the bottom right hand crack may have originated from a sharp corner in the welded in cable port surround, causing a stress raiser which eventually gave way causing the catastrophic failure you can see in the pictures. I feel lucky to be alive and undamaged as just before my last ride in the New Forest I checked these cable ports as the screws have a habit of coming loose and I'm certain they didn't exist then, so they must have propagated in the 20 odd miles of that ride. About 1/2 mile from the end of this ride I was going down hill at 29.4mph (according to Strava) so if the cracks had completely gone around the downtube the results don't bear thinking about!
Anyway Ribble have been very good and replaced the frame without any argument and have been very polite and efficient in arranging delivery of the new frame to me. The only hiccup has been the new frame has external headset cups which I cannot fit so it's in the local LBS to have them fitted and should be ready tomorrow, hopefully I'll be back out by the weekend!

Attachments

• 1632950052983.png
    1632950052983.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 6

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've now received my new frame from Ribble so as promised a few pics showing the extent of the downtube cracks on my old CGR Ti:
View attachment 611458 View attachment 611459 View attachment 611463
The frame was just under 3 years old with about 11,000 miles on it, mostly ridden on the road but probably with a few hundred gravel miles as well.
I think the bottom right hand crack may have originated from a sharp corner in the welded in cable port surround, causing a stress raiser which eventually gave way causing the catastrophic failure you can see in the pictures. I feel lucky to be alive and undamaged as just before my last ride in the New Forest I checked these cable ports as the screws have a habit of coming loose and I'm certain they didn't exist then, so they must have propagated in the 20 odd miles of that ride. About 1/2 mile from the end of this ride I was going down hill at 29.4mph (according to Strava) so if the cracks had completely gone around the downtube the results don't bear thinking about!
Anyway Ribble have been very good and replaced the frame without any argument and have been very polite and efficient in arranging delivery of the new frame to me. The only hiccup has been the new frame has external headset cups which I cannot fit so it's in the local LBS to have them fitted and should be ready tomorrow, hopefully I'll be back out by the weekend!
really good news to hear that Rubble handled your claim well.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Good to hear they handled the claim well, but still those cracks are something else.

Cheers for keeping us updated.
Ribble have had a few few negative reviews just recently so it's nice to put them in a more positive light. Must admit when I heard about their potential sale I did worry how it would affect my claim but it really couldn't have gone much better.
I'll be keeping a very careful eye on the affected area's on the new frame, hopefully my experience is just a one off!

Top Bottom