Van Nicholas Stockists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
I would only stretch to the Ventus or the Boreas for the VN and if I sit on one and it's not right then it will be else where.

The EX-LBS who runs a mobile bike maint/repair has someone who is going to let me try out his Sabbath Mondays Child as we're roughly the same height.

The SPA prices at the moment are also very very nice.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I had a used Ventus...didn't like it all.. @cosmicbike bought it off me. 57cm would be far too big

I test rode the Skeiron, I don't think vN geometry fits me for some reason. The J.Guillem on the other hand was gorgeous but too spendy

It's a Yukon as opposed to a Ventus. Pleased to say I get on with it, done most of my 100 mile rides on it, just over 8000 miles since I picked up from you. Still purple in places too!

wonderloaf

Veteran
Hmmmm Ribble Ti is just a 3 year warranty their frames which is a little disappointing.

If a VN fits it's looking more like the winner, dependent on the Mondays child as well.
You're right to be wary of the Ribble 3 year warranty; earlier today on my CGR Ti I discovered two long cracks running from either side of one of the cable ports at the top of the downtube, I reckon the length of the cracks are around 30% - 40% of the circumference of the downtube. I've just about scraped in with two weeks of the 3 year warranty left and I've literally just sent an email with photos etc over to Ribble, in my view it should be an open and shut case but the pessimist in me is not expecting it to be straight forward... :sad:
Seeing as earlier today I was going down a descent at about 30mph I just feel lucky to be alive!

Johnno260

Veteran
You're right to be wary of the Ribble 3 year warranty; earlier today on my CGR Ti I discovered two long cracks running from either side of one of the cable ports at the top of the downtube, I reckon the length of the cracks are around 30% - 40% of the circumference of the downtube. I've just about scraped in with two weeks of the 3 year warranty left and I've literally just sent an email with photos etc over to Ribble, in my view it should be an open and shut case but the pessimist in me is not expecting it to be straight forward... :sad:
Seeing as earlier today I was going down a descent at about 30mph I just feel lucky to be alive!

oh wow first off least you aren’t hurt, also please let us know how you get on with their customer service and ask for help or advise here if they start being difficult.

also wow I thought Ti usually cracked at a weld if it goes, to have the actual tube go isn’t the norm I think?

Last edited:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
also wow I thought Ti usually cracked at a weld if it goes, to have the actual tube go isn’t the norm I think?
I think the very first Ti used to cracked at weld.

My VN is the Euros I've had it 6 years I think, maybe longer. VN used to offer lifetime warranty but they are under new ownership since so I have no idea wha the warranty is nowadays.

Mine is being great. Mileage is over 10k and it hasn't missed a bit.

I bought the frame and forks from Planet X, the groupset is mostly Dura Ace. I would never sell it.

wonderloaf

Veteran
oh wow first off least you aren’t hurt, also please let us know how you get on with their customer service and ask for help or advise here if they start being difficult.

@Johnno260 Thanks for the sympathy, as you say the most important thing is that I'm OK. I'll keep you updated on progress, I would post some photo's to get opinions but don't want to jeopardise my future discussions with Ribble.
What I would like to say is that if there any other Ribble Ti owners reading this I would suggest they check their frames regularly & very carefully, I'm pretty sure there was no sign of these cracks just a couple of days ago so they must have happened in the last ride or two.

Johnno260

Veteran
@Johnno260 Thanks for the sympathy, as you say the most important thing is that I'm OK. I'll keep you updated on progress, I would post some photo's to get opinions but don't want to jeopardise my future discussions with Ribble.
What I would like to say is that if there any other Ribble Ti owners reading this I would suggest they check their frames regularly & very carefully, I'm pretty sure there was no sign of these cracks just a couple of days ago so they must have happened in the last ride or two.

100% don’t post pictures as you don’t want to risk putting a warranty claim in jeopardy

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Ribble is up for sale
Can't be arsed four hours in the car each way or six on the train, I found a bike I like, I was just curious about a Ti bike.
not much of a commitment given the £ outlay on the bike.

I did a 3 hour each way journey to test out my best bike when i bought it. Had a fitting, a super test ride around some new countryside, the decision made a chat / final selection on spec etc. All in all a grand day out. It was couriered to me a week or so later with with seat post already marked with tape as to where to insert from the fitting session....

and as pointed out Harrogate is lovely, worth it for a trip to Betty's alone...

vickster

Legendary Member
The OP was made in Feb 2020 so he may have bought now. Don’t think he’s active on the forum anymore

Johnno260

Veteran
Ribble is up for sale

not much of a commitment given the £ outlay on the bike.

I did a 3 hour each way journey to test out my best bike when i bought it. Had a fitting, a super test ride around some new countryside, the decision made a chat / final selection on spec etc. All in all a grand day out. It was couriered to me a week or so later with with seat post already marked with tape as to where to insert from the fitting session....

and as pointed out Harrogate is lovely, worth it for a trip to Betty's alone...

I'm looking at a 2.5hr drive to one stockist for a VN, but I can also maybe drop in a see a relative or take the kids to Duxford again as they liked it there!

Top Bottom