Vandalised or a practical joke?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I think if this guy tried this on the average cyclist off the street he would be picking his teeth up with broken arms.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
I'd be there the following morning taking pictures of the damage (because thats what it is), then I'll be saying to the manager, you either replace the tape for new or you'll find I'll be posting the images to the area manager, you might think it's a joke, I think it's an insult.

Some of the guys I worked with thought it would be funny to fill my car door locks with silicone sealant, leaving me stranded at the race course (100 miles from home) for over two hours, they didn't find it funny at the next meeting when I hid the crew bus keys (all locked up), leaving them stranded in the pouring rain, then rang them an hour later (driving home) to tell them the keys were in the exhaust pipe.

Boy was the team leader pizzed off with me (next working meeting) .. it's simple I told him .. take the pizz out of me, expect the same in return, he just raised his eyebrows and walked away shaking his head .. my car was never touched again.

OP
OP
craven2354

craven2354

I'd be there the following morning taking pictures of the damage (because thats what it is), then I'll be saying to the manager, you either replace the tape for new or you'll find I'll be posting the images to the area manager, you might think it's a joke, I think it's an insult.

Some of the guys I worked with thought it would be funny to fill my car door locks with silicone sealant, leaving me stranded at the race course (100 miles from home) for over two hours, they didn't find it funny at the next meeting when I hid the crew bus keys (all locked up), leaving them stranded in the pouring rain, then rang them an hour later (driving home) to tell them the keys were in the exhaust pipe.

Boy was the team leader pizzed off with me (next working meeting) .. it's simple I told him .. take the pizz out of me, expect the same in return, he just raised his eyebrows and walked away shaking his head .. my car was never touched again.

That kind of thing is how I stopped people giving me sh*t when I started on a building site :smile:

I always find that "adults" who take the p*ss out of me are surprised when I give it them back me only being 19 like ;)

Oldspice

Report him to head office. That's blatant vandalism, and extremely unprofessional. Should have charged him for taxi fare and reported him to the police for vandalism.

Contact the head office. If a manager can think he can do this and say it is just for fun, i shudder to think what else would be amusing to him.

Tell us how you got on with the head office.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Take a d-lock in to work and crack his skull open with it.

I suppose in a more sensible way tell him to replace the tape cos it was funny for 5 seconds or he will be reported.

D

Deleted member 20519

Maybe smear the grease over his brake pedal?

I might be taking this too far.

Reactions: akb

simon.r

Person
That's out of order.

Personally I'd take a less confrontational line and say something like 'I don't mind a bit of messing about and I can take a joke, but damaging my property and putting me in a hazardous situation (by making me make my way home without my transport at 10pm) isn't funny'.

If the response is an apology, then fine. If it's not, then I'd be contacting either his manager or HR. I'd imagine that Halfords will have some sort of 'ethics' policy that this is a contravention of.

HovR

Über Member
Agreed, that's taking it too far. I'd want new bar tape minimum, and possibly compensation for any public transport or other that had to be payed for due to lack of bike.

On cork bar tape that'd be unpleasant and you'd never get it out. On more slick plastic or leather bar tape it could be downright dangerous.

400bhp

Guru
I'm guessing that the OP's brother is relatively young and this is one of his first jobs?

I think it's easy for us to say do this/report that/make him pay for damages. In reality, if I am correct, it would take guts to do what has been suggested.

Your brother might just want to put this one in that little box in the brain called experience.

Clearly, if it happens again, then perhaps you might invite some of the cyclechatters to go round to the [named] store.

put the same grease on his car door handles see if the thinks it's as funny

Allegedly......

When the traffic wardens in london got fed up with "diplomatic" cars parking illegally and not being allowed to do anything about it, they developed a method of reprisal.

Apparently if you force a matchstick into the door lock and break it off, it disables the lock, and is a complete replacement job.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Hazing is illegal in this country, so if this is an 'initiation' thing, the manager is breaking the law.
You didn't say how old your little brother is, I'm guessing its his first job though. This, to my mind is bullying/vandalism by this manager. At 35 years old, he should know better. How on earth did he make manager, even at Halfords, when he is still playing infantile 'jokes' on people who work for him.

As for denying someone the use of their transport so they couldn't get home at 10pm? It just beggars belief. A phone call to HR and asking for a copy of their anti bullying policy might well be in order. Being refunded the public transport costs and being supplied with new bar tape at the very least should be happening.

Liking the matchstick in the door lock thing :evil:

Top Bottom