Vandalised or a practical joke?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Herbie

Veteran
Hello :smile:

My brother returned from work today without his bike when I asked him why he said that his,manager at work approx aged 35 had smeared brown grease all over his white handlebars on his 4 weeks old road bike which had made it un rideable so he had to make his own way back home

My brother is 16 and it really annoys me that his manager had made him have to make his own way home at 10pm at night because of this "practical joke" my brother doesn't want to take it any further as he doesn't want his life made hell at work because of his manager

And to top it all off this was at halfrauds -.-

Just wanted to know whether you think he has taken it to far?

I'm guessing these are his initiation pranks as he started only 2 months ago I just think he went to far

This is a disgrace and not a funny practical joke.Any one who did that to any bike of mine would deserve a smack...although i understand your brothers young age and i'm sure he must feel quite intimidated by this moron of a boss.I hope he makes a complaint to more senior management about this
I'd like to know if he gets any satisfaction...will you let us know? tell him not to let the b@@@@@@s grind him down

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
absolute arse, no doubt about it.

OP
OP
craven2354

craven2354

I shall have a look when my dad collects the bike as its un rideable if its as bad as I'm thinking it is there will definetly be a complaint or even a "conversation" with the "manager" in question :whistle: I don't mind small jokes but this is taking the piss :smile: my brother is 16 and this is his first job :smile:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Have a look, take photos, get all the details and report it to HR or Head office or whoever is "manager"'s line manager. :angry:

It is bullying, plain and simple and needs to be stopped quickly. :stop:

Herbie

Veteran
I'm guessing that the OP's brother is relatively young and this is one of his first jobs?

I think it's easy for us to say do this/report that/make him pay for damages. In reality, if I am correct, it would take guts to do what has been suggested.

Your brother might just want to put this one in that little box in the brain called experience.

Clearly, if it happens again, then perhaps you might invite some of the cyclechatters to go round to the [named] store.

Yeah....lets get a posse of cycle chatters round to the Halfurds store in question....we could all wear Wiggo masks and copy that scene from the film "Looking for Eric" anyone see that movie? t'was so funny :laugh:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
If your dad's going I'd suggest that this may help.

Check the bike over - and he should be asking to speak to the manager. If there's damage, then this should be paid for. He should also be compensating for losses.

Get your brother to write down what happened first - you don't want him losing his first job over this. Also photograph the damage/grease as well as evidence.

I'd suggest that, once confronted, the manager will back down, apologise and offer to cover the costs. If he continues, causes issues, etc. then HR should be informed through the anti-bullying procedure. Written documentation at the time, with photographs, helps.

There's at least one Halfords staff member on here already; they may be able to help.

hotmetal

If this is how 'managers' at Halfrauds behave it's no wonder they have such a poor reputation (generally). :ohmy:
I've witnessed all sorts of 'initiations' from being sent to stores for a long weight, 240 volts, a bag of halftone dots etc, right up to a fairly violent one at a printers where 6 'adults' wrapped the apprentice in industrial sized cling film, tied him to a chair and did the printing equivalent of tar-and-feathering. I personally have experienced an attempted 'de-bagging' on a building site, and when I fought to resist (5 guys) I had bricks thrown at me. Thankfully they missed! These 'jokes' do tend to get out of hand fairly quickly. The OP's brother's experience probably scores a 5 on the Hotmetal Scale of Initiation Rite Intensity, but it's still bullying, especially if the manager doesn't apologise and repair the damage/compensate for the fares/inconvenience. It's probably a case of trying to reinforce who is 'boss', rather than something intended to amuse anyone. If so, his managerial skills make him unfit in his role, especially as he must realise a 16 yr old new employee is not going to want to make a complaint. I hope this muppet realises the error of his ways once he's had time to think about what a gimp he's been.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Hello :smile:

My brother returned from work today without his bike when I asked him why he said that his,manager at work approx aged 35 had smeared brown grease all over his white handlebars on his 4 weeks old road bike which had made it un rideable so he had to make his own way back home

My brother is 16 and it really annoys me that his manager had made him have to make his own way home at 10pm at night because of this "practical joke" my brother doesn't want to take it any further as he doesn't want his life made hell at work because of his manager

And to top it all off this was at halfrauds -.-

Just wanted to know whether you think he has taken it to far?

I'm guessing these are his initiation pranks as he started only 2 months ago I just think he went to far
I would be sorely tempted to seek out the managers car and put some dog excrement under the door handle of his car. All the door handles. And the boot catch. Just for a joke. As a bit of a laugh. Then perhaps talk about boundaries.
Having said that at 16 I would probably do exactly the same as your brother. Jobs are not exactly easy to come by these days which only makes what he boss did worse.
Realistically I think he should photograph the vandalism and make an accurate as possible note of what happened in case this turns into a case of consistent bullying in the worl place rather than just a one off incident of bullying, which I think it is. There is nothing funny about having to walk home at 10pm and then having to replace your handlebar tape.
I would say definitely report it but then again in the real world this can often make things worse. This story has really got to me and I can feel myself welling up with anger at the completely impossible position it puts your brother in. We all have to survive and often to do that we end up taking crap when we shouldn't have to. God, this has made me cross. On my behalf please pass on something nice to your brother, some encouraging words or a pat on the back or a pint (or suitable beverage) for which I will have to owe you. (nothing fancy, Im quite stingy).
Hope this doesn't get any worse.

D

Deleted member 23692

I wonder if the grease was the manager's bought and paid for own property or lifted of the self at Halfords? I'm assuming it's the latter, and I bet HQ would be interested to know what one of thier 'trusted employees' is doing with thier stock

Robson3022

If your brother wants to keep working here running to HR and reporting him is not going to do any favours. Yes he is 16 but the time comes when you have to be able to talk to people. He was competent enough to get through an interveiw so surely he can go and speak to his manager and ask if he is going to put it right. Yes it's a little harsh and not fair the laddo has had to walk home but bullying??? Do we really think its that strong? Manager might be a nice guy who has made a bad judgment call. Admittedly if something like this happens again then look to take it further.

If he needs some support take someone with him but at somepoint he's got to stand on his own two feet. Might as well be now!

Top Bottom