Vandalised or a practical joke?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robson3022

Yes I have a child and would fully expect her to deal with this herself. With my full support. If the lad got himself the job (which is brilliant, the amount of kids I work with who have no intention of going to work is frightening) then he should be able to attempt to deal with the situation. If needs be I would step in to help. Infact he's a young person not a child.

When would you stop intervening in his work? Your not going to be able to be by there side all the time?

postman

Legendary Member
Why not copy the post and forward it on to Halfords from here?

Crosstrailer

I think something needs to be done, because unfortunately I have seen instances in the past (in team sport) where someone who is the butt joke will continue to be so until they do something about it. As a coach I have stepped in in the past and then had a word with the person explaining quite clearly they have to fight back (even if it is verbally) or it will continue.

I would say, however, that in this instance which involves a 35 year old man bullying a 16 year old then parental or external involvement is entirely justified.

Unless it is made quite clear to this person that their behaviour was completely unacceptable then it will happen again, if not with this chap then with other young people in the workplace.

Nebulous

Guru
I really don't think forcing the child or young person to confront this is the way to go. It reminds me of people putting children who had been bullied back out to fight the battle over again. Having said that we don't know the young man concerned and he may be happy to.

Bullying / harrassment policies usually say that you should deal with things at the lowest possible level by speaking to the person concerned first. They then go on to give alternative options if you do not feel that you can do that. The young man or his family doing some research on the company policy and structure would be a starting point.

The decision needs to be his, possibly in consultation with his family though. Its not our employment / well-being thats at risk here.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get your dad to go in and speak to the manager. At 16 he is still a young lad, and I assume you may be fairly young. Sending in your dad will in no doubt put it in the managers head that he better not do it again. No argy bargy needed, just a firm word.

RWright

Guru
Sounds like the parents may have handled it properly whether they actually participated or not, as it should be. It is their kid. They are normally more attuned to their child's disposition than anyone. I hope it got resolved favorably for the boy.

Drago

Legendary Member
Lucky your bro didn't knock his teeth down his throat.

Never ever mess with someone's sickle. Apart from being the lowest thing you can do, it can have unintended consequences. I know of a incident in another force where a bobby thought it would be hilarious to undo the seat clamp on a lady colleagues bicycle. On she jump, seat collapsed and she was left with serious spinal injuries. Hah hah hah. Not.

OP
OP
craven2354

craven2354

ANOTHER UPDATE

I had to pick my brother up so got the full story off him rather than it being laid back through parents turns out there's two Andys in his work one who is the manager and one who is the bike mechanic it was I'm told the bike mechanic that put the grease on the handle bars andy has been given a warning and if he does anything like it again he will face disciplinary action I'm told the manager is very annoyed at andy for what he did this is all I know and he will be replacing the bar tape for him as the manager has told him he has to. My brother is happy with this outcome

hotmetal

Drago:
Agreed. When I was 16 my sister's ex thought it would be hilarious to undo the wheel nuts on my Vespa and put sugar in the tank. "Luckily" the engine siezed before the wheel fell off. Oh, how we all laughed! –NOT.

This same sub-human specimen was also stupid enough to take my sister's scoot out for a ride without asking her. Unfortunately for him, she'd just had it sprayed and the brakes were not attached. If only I could have been there when he hit the back of the Transit van. Now that would have been funny, what with being self-inflicted justice and all that. James Cannon, have you actually grown up yet?

Craven, that's good news! So it wasn't actually the manager after all? Still very annoying but not as bad seeing as there's no abuse of position. Glad your bro is happier.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
That sounds like a good outcome for your Brother. Lets hope that Mechanic Andy doesn't do anything like this again and that your Brother can get on with getting as much experience in his job as he can without further mither.

Oldspice

After he has repaired the bike I will introduce his face to my spokes:evil: . Happy to hear it was not the manager.

Top Bottom