Vandalised or a practical joke?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
I'm not planning on going in to work shouting the odds, ringing the branch and yelling at the manager in question.
But if I knew where he worked I might actually know him, and would know if this was the sort of thing he did a lot, or if he would be likely to be planning on cleaning off the bike and sorting it out in a "I was only joking" way. It might be helpful to know the sort of bloke he is in general.

I gather you are a Halfords manager?: Ask Craven to pm you with details :thumbsup:

Sandra6

Veteran
I gather you are a Halfords manager?: Ask Craven to pm you with details :thumbsup:
Not a manager no, on very good terms with mine though.
I have no idea what the official Halford's view on this would be as I've never heard of anything like it happening before.
The worst prank we play is security tagging people's belongings so they set the alarms off.
I don't think running to the press or head office is necessarily the way to go - I'd be starting with the person in question, but then I'm not a 16 year old scared of losing my job.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I've seen managers dismissed for pulling pranks like this on vulnerable employees. The lad would have protection as a whistleblower if he lodged a grievance with HR. If the manager tried anything on as a consequence the employee would be in a strong position legally.

For all you know, there may be other complaints and the higher management may be looking for a good reason to dismiss. He may have had previous warnings. I'd be lodging a formal grievance about this.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I've probably mentioned this on here before, but when I was about 17 I worked in warehouses where stuff like this was considered quite reasonable (which I hated). I knew that one day it would be 'my turn' so when the thugs arrived and wrapped me in industrial stretch wrap (which is fricken dangerous for starters) I put up a very weak show of fending them off. I was then lifted onto the top of a large stack of palleted stock (about four metres high) with a forklift truck and left. Once the others had left the warehouse I carefully wriggled out of my 'cocoon', threw it to the floor and climbed down the side of the stack. When at the bottom I wriggled back into the cocoon and laid in an awkward position with my eyes wide open, staring and unblinking until someone found me.

I very much doubt those pale faced, dry heaving idiots carried out many more practical jokes on any other children (I as under 18 after all).

I should also add that this was all twenty years ago and my memory might be relaying what I should have done rather than what I actually did!

ushills

Veteran
I would recommend getting photos of the damage and writing a letter to the HR Manager. The manager needs sacking!

If you don't do something the bullying will continue, if you confront the manager he may well wait for an opportunity to get rid of you. HR should deal with this and you will protect your position.

Keep all letters and put everything in writing. Bullying should not be acceptable in 2012.

mangaman

That's out of order.

Personally I'd take a less confrontational line and say something like 'I don't mind a bit of messing about and I can take a joke, but damaging my property and putting me in a hazardous situation (by making me make my way home without my transport at 10pm) isn't funny'.

If the response is an apology, then fine. If it's not, then I'd be contacting either his manager or HR. I'd imagine that Halfords will have some sort of 'ethics' policy that this is a contravention of.

I agree - start by talking to the manager.

Although it was wanton vandalism, you have to be practical and you don't want some middle manager bearing a grudge against you when you've found a job aged 16. Next thing you know he'll be trumping up stories and getting you the sack. Equally you don't want to be seen as a doormat that this bloke can bully with impunity.

If the manager persists, then escalate. Halfords is not some LBS with a few employees - it will have very clear written guidance on bullying and a proper HR department to fall back on.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
My first instinct is for the lad to quietly speak to the manager and ask, politely, if he's going to put right the damage. If he does, fine - end of story and the lad will be all the better for being a "good sport" and "one of the team". I'd lay odds that this is exactly how the manager will react.

However, if the manager makes any kind of negative reaction. the lad should say no more and contact HR. They are trained to deal with this and it's more likely the manager will be transferred or reassigned without ever being told why, meaning there will be no comeback on the lad. Creating any kind of scene or getting his dad to fight his battles will only make things worse in the long run.

Paul99

Über Member
Do any of those that think that this 16yo child should confront an adult and ask for money to repair the damage actually have kids?

If you do, would you let your child confront an adult in these circumstances? I don't get it.

Cress1968

I'd rather my child tried to sort this herself first to be honest, confronting bullies at work is part of growing up and becoming an adult in my opinion, if she got no joy then I would step in but sorting it for her , in my opinion, teaches her nothing and could leave her open for more bullying. I'd do same for sons when they reach working age

Top Bottom