Vanity: Polishing the Steed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Ahem. No innuendo here.

But in all seriousness i'm wanting to give my bike a real detail wash and clean tonight before the sportive tomorrow (including components) but after that how do i make it all shiny and sparkly? Does anyone else polish their bike and if so what with?

Wipe it over with an oily rag. Haven't washed/polished a bike frame in years.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Wipe it over with an oily rag. Haven't washed/polished a bike frame in years.

I can't be arsed cleaning and polishing scruffy old hacks either, but a tidy-looking machine is worth looking after if you like it and it's a keeper. When I was young I got into the habit of nicking my mum's tin of furniture polish and using that to keep it looking pretty. Also learned back then that wax polish does NOT help the braking properties of Raleigh chromed steel rims! Next time my Pioneer needs a spruce up I'll try some liquid car wax on the frame, as the paint on that bike is quality and I like the colour so want to preserve it in good condition.

I can't be arsed cleaning and polishing scruffy old hacks either, but a tidy-looking machine is worth looking after if you like it and it's a keeper. When I was young I got into the habit of nicking my mum's tin of furniture polish and using that to keep it looking pretty. Also learned back then that wax polish does NOT help the braking properties of Raleigh chromed steel rims! Next time my Pioneer needs a spruce up I'll try some liquid car wax on the frame, as the paint on that bike is quality and I like the colour so want to preserve it in good condition.
May reconsider for one bike. Should stress that whatever the bike I keep drivetrain, allamoving bits, rlmsl and pads well cleaned.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Why is Mr Sheen better than car wax?

Is there a magic ingredient ?
I suspect because easy and readily to hand and better than nowt. A car "detailing spray" would be better, and a polish with something like Autoglym SRP, then protecting with something like Collonite synthetic wax would see you through a season of use very happily.

I brought my daughter's rather scuffed white spotty Frog back to as-new condition with a mild cutting polish when I bought it for her.

Doesn't take long with the right kit.

Top Bottom