Vanity: Polishing the Steed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotjimland

Car polishes, such as Autoglyme, Mer etc all have a cleaning and slightly abrasive compound in them .. good if you need to remove a lot of built up grime and restore the finish.. after which I suggest sealing and polishing with a wax polish containing carnauba wax

On a 'clean' frame I would only use a wax polish such as Simoniz which polishes up beautifully and protects the paint and chrome parts from the elements.. when you come to wash it, the dirt just falls off .. only needs doing a few times per year

Don't use Lux soap flakes to wash your bike as my brother did on his motorbike and then found that all the roads were greasy .
I have found Meguiars Ultimate wash and wax very good on my cars making them look like they have just been polished. It may be a bit expensive but it does work well .

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Car polishes, such as Autoglyme, Mer etc all have a cleaning and slightly abrasive compound in them .. good if you need to remove a lot of built up grime and restore the finish.. after which I suggest sealing and polishing with a wax polish containing carnauba wax

On a 'clean' frame I would only use a wax polish such as Simoniz which polishes up beautifully and protects the paint and chrome parts from the elements.. when you come to wash it, the dirt just falls off .. only needs doing a few times per year
If you've got a dual action product that polishes and waxes then you need only use that product, surely?

scotjimland

If you've got a dual action product that polishes and waxes then you need only use that product, surely?

sorry, no, by definition it can either be a polish or a wax.. not both

this may help to explain the difference between a polish and a wax ..

http://www.performancemotorcare.com...en-car-wax-and-car-polish-and-why-it-matters/

What is the difference between car wax and polish?
Firstly let’s start with the question What is a Wax? A wax in its natural form comes in many guises from vegetable waxes i.e carnauba to animal waxes i.e. bees wax. Its is the natural properties of some of these waxes that make them ideal for use in car waxes. The most popular for use in the automotive industry is carnauba wax.

What is a Car Polish?
In contrast to a wax a car polish is a product that uses an abrasive action to remove very fine layers of the top coat protection to flatten out the surface to ensure and equal reflection of the light and thus a highly polished look. Such products come in varying degrees of abrasiveness from medium to ultra fine.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
by definition it can either be a polish or a wax.. not both

this may help to explain the difference between a polish and a wax ..

http://www.performancemotorcare.com...en-car-wax-and-car-polish-and-why-it-matters/

What is the difference between car wax and polish?
Firstly let’s start with the question What is a Wax? A wax in its natural form comes in many guises from vegetable waxes i.e carnauba to animal waxes i.e. bees wax. Its is the natural properties of some of these waxes that make them ideal for use in car waxes. The most popular for use in the automotive industry is carnauba wax.

What is a Car Polish?
In contrast to a wax a car polish is a product that uses an abrasive action to remove very fine layers of the top coat protection to flatten out the surface to ensure and equal reflection of the light and thus a highly polished look. Such products come in varying degrees of abrasiveness from medium to ultra fine.
I know that, but your use of language was slightly confusing :okay: "...I suggest sealing and polishing with a wax polish containing carnauba wax..."

Actually, not strictly true, as some manufacturers do produce hybrid products which claim to do both - Zymol produces a Cleaner Wax, Sonax something similar, for instance. A bit neither fish nor fowl, but the Zymol's not bad, actually.

scotjimland

but your use of language was slightly confusing

ok.. I do apologise..

but If you don't want to polish an expensive frame with an abrasive polish, then I would only use a pure wax .. not a hybrid, which is still abrasive ..else it wouldn't also clean

Zymol
Cleaner Polish
Pros have reported that Zymol car wax is more of a cleaner polish, but not exactly like a regular wax. Also, they say it's not very durable and it's best to follow up with your favorite wax.

bpsmith

Veteran
I suspect because easy and readily to hand and better than nowt. A car "detailing spray" would be better, and a polish with something like Autoglym SRP, then protecting with something like Collonite synthetic wax would see you through a season of use very happily.

I brought my daughter's rather scuffed white spotty Frog back to as-new condition with a mild cutting polish when I bought it for her.

Doesn't take long with the right kit.
The first poster in this thread to actually understand and use the word polish properly. :smile:

bpsmith

Veteran
Sealants are the best product to use on a frame that doesn’t have any marks that need polishing out. It lasts longer than a Wax, but doesn’t quite have the same depth of shine. Or sealant then wax if you really want.

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I got given some Auto Glym show shine & never used it on the car, but on painted bike frames I found it worked as well as anything at cleaning, adding a shine & keeping dirt at bay. Never used it on the Ti though, that just gets the baby wipe treatment, or occasionally oil & grease wipes (expensive baby wipes ^_^)

Top Bottom