Varifocal spectacles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Really? I don't find myself tripping up any more wearing varifocals. Perhaps the issue is your sobriety... ;)
It's usually when off road, out on the hill that the problems arise:smile:
Anyway, just about everyone has stopped taking alcohol since the drink drive level was lowered:sad:

Took me a month, or more before I got used to mine but I wouldn't be without them now, I could do with the transition point being slightly lower and have a bigger near area (I'm not sure I use middle much) but for a first pair I imagine it might be par for the course.
Does anyone know if it posssible to get line-less bifocals? I like my bifocal photochromic ski glasses but the Mrs says when clear the bifocal bit makes me look old !!

KEEF

Veteran
upload_2015-4-10_12-0-52.jpeg
These work for me. Don't waste your money on VDU specs as I did once you are ok with varifocals they will repose in the drawer unused.

Last edited:

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I have worn varifocals for over 10 years, the only problems I had was when I got a pair from specsavers with cheap lenses and I couldnt get on with them at all, but I have now found a lens combination that works well with my prescription so as long as they are setup properly then I dont get any problems.

Levo-Lon

Guru
The trick with bi focal or vari is to make sure the lower part of the frame is close to your face and corectely angled, hence my " get a good fitter" if the reading part sits too high or too far away it interferes with normal vision.

I absolutely love being able too read stuff on lables , and print without having to strain or change specs.
I ride nasty mtb trails with bi focals too but as there set right I dont get the blured vision when looking down.
I have to physically move my eyes down to get the focussed print.

but do persist as its a big change after standard vision lenses.
you must move your head more but you soon adjust

good luck

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Care to produce some evidence to back that up? Given the number of people wearing varifocals who are driving, if your statements are true there'd be substantive evidence out there.
glance out of the side of your lenses>>
can you see as well as with normal glasses?
answer >>no its a bit blurred
there is your evidence (you numpty^_^).

if you want to drive around with sub optimal vision then carry one, the chances of us beng on the same bit of road are miniscule.but dont try to justify it by saying your all round vision is as good. It probably doesnt matter.youmay welldrive for the rest or lif e in them and be fine, but its just my observation,I am much happier driving and cycling in standard lenses.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
glance out of the side of your lenses>>
can you see as well as with normal glasses?
answer >>no its a bit blurred
there is your evidence (you numpty^_^).

if you want to drive around with sub optimal vision then carry one, the chances of us beng on the same bit of road are miniscule.but dont try to justify it by saying your all round vision is as good. It probably doesnt matter.youmay welldrive for the rest or lif e in them and be fine, but its just my observation,I am much happier driving and cycling in standard lenses.

So I presume that means you have found no evidence then :becool: and judging on your own experience only ?

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Actually I can see as well out of the side as with normal glasses. Maybe you just have crappy varifocals?

The fact is, there is absolutely no evidence to back up your suggestion that its not safe or appropriate to drive wearing varifocals.

Yes me too, I used to get all sorts of problems with cheap varifocals like blurring at the edges and if I looked through the reading part and turned my head from side to side while looking at an object I would get a swimming effect on the object I was looking at, but with the lenses I use at the moment they are fine even at the edges.

A certain angle is not a clear as normal glasses, it's the perfect ogle angle, which is shame but on my head, normally shaped (ish), my peripheral vision shows me the arms of my glasses. I fail to see tomo's point about safety, I think it's a red herring....or is it blue, wait I'll just look.

Levo-Lon

Guru
If you have probs with vari or bi focal your optition is a nob end

get the right fit and life is great..
I wanted laser eye treatment whatever but I'd not go near that risk now

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Hi folks - I'm sure this has been done many times in the past, but I'm going to ask anyway.

I'm in need of varifocal glasses and I don't want to spend a fortune on them in case they don't work for me.

So before I take the plunge, can anyone give me the benefits and drawbacks of varifocal lenses?

Thanks
If you like lying down on the settee and watching TV then you'll be disappointed, the short distance reading part is at the bottom and renders the telly out of focus.

Apart from that you get maybe a tad more than the usual new glasses woozy eye feeling but it soon goes and you are unaware that the lenses are varifocal in normal use.

One thing tho on the sort of 2 for 1 offers shops do. I got a pair of non varifocal sunglasses too but I tend not to wear them at all as I get a headache quite quickly without the varifocal ease. A pair of polarised clip ons with my vari's work just as well.

Levo-Lon

Guru
If you like lying down on the settee and watching TV then you'll be disappointed, the short distance reading part is at the bottom and renders the telly out of focus.

Apart from that you get maybe a tad more than the usual new glasses woozy eye feeling but it soon goes and you are unaware that the lenses are varifocal in normal use.

One thing tho on the sort of 2 for 1 offers shops do. I got a pair of non varifocal sunglasses too but I tend not to wear them at all as I get a headache quite quickly without the varifocal ease. A pair of polarised clip ons with my vari's work just as well.

dont know what u mean?
You watch tv with normal vision part...

subaqua

What’s the point
I'm very pleased with mine. The sweet spot as described can be a bit fussy. Better to pay for premium rather than standard lenses which give a larger usable central area, and don't go for small lenses. I made that mistake last time round and found them a bit crap.

They are expensive, but worthwhile if you have a complex prescription.

They take a bit of getting used to... I was violently seasick when I woke up the morning after first wearing them, but not everyone suffers this.

One drawback is watching TV from a recliner. You need to tilt the glasses so you are watching through the right bit of the lense. You need to be very precise with how you hold a book or tablet to read.

the TV in bed thing is the one for me . took about 7 days to get used to them and wouldn't go back to single vision. if i fancy a cheap night i just tilt my head wrong and get the 10 pints in feeling in seconds without the expense or the crap feeling the next day !

pay for good quality lenses . I got mine with reactolites too so great out on the bike

Top Bottom