Varifocal spectacles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
dont know what u mean?
You watch tv with normal vision part...
Lying down pretty well flat across the settee even with my head propped on my hands, I'm looking more through the bottom, reading, part of mine & the TV is out of focus at room distance. You must be able to crane your neck up or have a different proportioned lens I guess.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Lying down pretty well flat across the settee even with my head propped on my hands, I'm looking more through the bottom, reading, part of mine & the TV is out of focus at room distance. You must be able to crane your neck up or have a different proportioned lens I guess.

ahhh I see..
I got punched in the face by my ex for watching tv while she was astide me on the sofa....
I said I was trying to control my excitement but I was board if im honest..

think I was watching snooker or something, you do have to be careful

Back to basics

Most opticians realise that varifocals are not for everyone

Most will offer a trial basis, and if you do not get on will replace

Discuss it with an optician

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
just under a week with mine - the best thing since HD TV (If could have previously seen it)

first few days - a bit like feeling 'tipsy' especially when walking.:wacko:
Football looked great the other night & not just because we won :cheers:
Nearly fell down the stairs at work today - but overall generally a HD world :becool:

AlanTh

I have been wearing varifocals for nine months now and have no problems at all. They took no time at all to get used to.

I have been using Vision Express and Specsavers for a good number of years, but when I decided to get varifocals I used my local independent optician. I would recommend this. The quality of service is massively better, and the cost of the specs was only very slightly higher than the big chain stores. I will never use Vision Express or Specsavers again.

Last edited:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I've been using varifocals for a good few years now, they don't seem to interfere with my peripheral vision except that I am able to read the speedo with them but it's blurred without, equally I can read my Garmin with them on. When I go down steps I tend to make a point of looking downwards & not relying on peripheral vision, but I've always had a problem with steps & stairs. With one eye shortsighted and the other longsighted working out how far away something is has always been a problem, hence I can't play ball games, but I wouldn't be without my varifocals now.

postman

Legendary Member
A couple of months ago,i felt that i needed some new specs.Had varifocals for years.So this time a smaller narrower frame and tinted Reactolite.Nice frame great tinting,but i wish i had stayed with my larger frames.I have found it has taken longer to bed these in.Too narrower a sight line.But i will change again in a couple of years.My advice go larger frames and lenses.

I have had varifocal glasses for about 10 years now, with no problems at all. As others have said, you need to get measured up very precisely for them, so the "sweet spot" is positioned exactly right.

I did once or twice experience a very slight sensation of the room "swimming" when looking round, but I cant say I have noticed this happening for a long time, so maybe my brain has got used to it.

My wife also tried varifocals but could not get on with them at all. Despite several adjustment sessions at the opticians, she just never could get comfortable with them, and went back to having separate glasses for distance and for reading.

Incidentally, there used to be an opticians in Gravesend, where I lived much of my life. You entered the shop and immediately had to go up 2 steps into the reception area. So when they fitted you with new glasses, you walked across the shop, with everything swimming in your view, and were promptly faced with 2 steps to negotiate! I have often wondered how many people went A over T within about 30 seconds of taking delivery of their new specs........

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm currently in a bit of a varifocal quandary... advice welcome :okay:

I used to have excellent eyesight, so much so that people used to comment on it (e.g I could read the approaching bus number well before they could).
When I was 39, (I remember the day) the eyesight in one eye deteriorated overnight. I now know that this was wet macular degeneration.

I had an eye test, and went home with some specs, which I was told I didn't have to use all the time, but should prob use for driving. I did this (mild short-sightedness) and the good eye has always compensated well for the 'degenerated' eye. In more recent years, I've only used them for night driving.
The macular degeneration was 15 years ago, and it has never got worse. I haven't, till last week, had my eyes tested again in all that intervening time.

Recently, two things have happened. My eyesight has changed, in that the 'night driving' glasses were no longer doing their job (I could see better without); also, I've found the need for reading glasses. Cheapo ones at +1.0, bought from a pound shop, seem to be perfect.

Anyroad, I went and had my eyes tested last week, and it was confirmed that I needed glasses for distance/driving and for reading. They recommended varifocals. They had some deal on, and I ordered 2 pairs (not 'break the bank', but not cheap either.)

I will, of course, speak to the opticians, but after trying one pair out for a few days (they said to try them for 2 weeks before they make the second pair up), I've realised that for most everyday things, I simply don't need to wear specs, and my cheapo reading goggles are just fine and dandy.

My question is... to you experienced glasses-wearers, should I just go for simple 'distance' glasses (at my prescription strength, slightly different for each eye) and stick with the reading glasses for reading/PC viewing (I have the cheapo ones on now... I'd have to tilt my head back to use the reading part of the varifocals)..

Advice and thoughts welcome :okay:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
[QUOTE 4158346, member: 259"]Yes, just take your specs off when you want to read, get normal prescription specs and save loadsa money. Many opticians are out to get you to spend money on stuff you do not need. Especially the ones that can afford large TV advertising campaigns.

Anyway, if you have to tilt your head back to read you have been given the wrong strength and you should be able to get your money back.

My niece is an ophthalmologist and she is very uncomplimentary about some of the rubbish that is sold.[/QUOTE]
It's just that if I want to read the PC screen, I'd need to tilt back with the varifocals, the reading part being at the bottom of the lenses. They are fine for reading a book.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I have a similar dilemma.
I need varifocals for distance, middle and close viewing. However, the distance from eye to computer (desktop) screen falls just between the mid and close ranges.

Some years ago, I got varifocals and the second pair were a fixed focal length for eye-to-screen distance. Great for reading the screen but a real PITA if trying to write something from a piece of paper/letter next to me ! :cursing:

My latest varifocals were meant to sort this out but haven't fully succeeded ... :sad:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
[QUOTE 4158366, member: 259"]But it should all be in balance. I have varifocals which work with my screen, my phone, a book and a laptop. The person testing my eyes asked me to bring all of that stuff with me for the test.[/QUOTE]
Ah, I see (pardon the pun). I shall mention that to the optician too.

grumpyoldwoman

I'd recommend them myself.I've worn varifocals for a few years now,drivin and cycling with no problems.I found they took a bit of getting used to at frst,esprcially going up and down stairs,as well as nearly going flying when coming across a kerb :shy:
Would never go back to single lense or bifocals!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
My issue, I guess, is that 95% of the time, (apart from reading)* I simply don't need to wear them. I don't wear them cycling, for example, just not needed.

*The need to wear them reading has arisen very recently, like 2 months ago),

Top Bottom