Varifocal spectacles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I wear varifocals, find them great for general wear, just make sure you know where the kerb is, by looking down. When driving the reading portion enable me to read the speedo, its a bit blurry otherwise.

Sometimes I read with the varifocals but I never use them at the computer, a desktop, since the screen is in the wrong place.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I wear varifocals, find them great for general wear, just make sure you know where the kerb is, by looking down. When driving the reading portion enable me to read the speedo, its a bit blurry otherwise.

Sometimes I read with the varifocals but I never use them at the computer, a desktop, since the screen is in the wrong place.
I can see the advantages, but I guess my dilemma is that apart from driving, or perhaps being in a large room looking at summat (theatre maybe, but not cinema) I won't be wearing them.
I'm convincing myself that I don't need them.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Got a pair of varifocals (upgraded lenses) a couple of years ago and got used to them within days.
Had an eye test last year and was told my prescription had changed so ordered a "designer" pair, again with premium lenses. Couldn't get oin with them at all. Went back to the opticians three times for checking and adjusting, before they finally agreed to retest my eyes and found that my prescription hadn't changed after all...
To be fair they were apologetic and changed the lenses for me, but I've never been happy with the new glasses - apparently it's down to the shape of the frames moiving the lens further away from my eye...which beggars the question why they didn't mention that when I chose them.
Turns out that I shouldn't have gone to you know where.
I'm due a test next month so I'm going to try a different optician.:eek:

Angusthewestie

I hope it's OK to continue this discussion :smile:

I'm on my second pair of varifocals - the first were an utter failure where I felt that I couldn't see much properly at all as the sweet spots were tiny for everything. These were the Platinum option from Boots.

I have since got a pair on trial from another high street store that reckoned they could solve the problem. I have gone for the best quality option again and for distance/driving they are great - little or no noticeable distortion and a much bigger sweet spot. The problem is reading ... I understand there is a compromise here and this is quite a small zone but should I be able to read the width of a novel-sized book page without moving my head? At the moment, I have blurry edges at the periphery on both sides which seems a pretty small area. Using my iPad is a pain as the sweet spot is much smaller than the screen but my iPhone is ok.

I just need to know if this is normal and I will get used to it or if I could get a better reading area by opting for even more bespoke lenses (perhaps from one of the upper end manufacturers). I desperately want to get used to varifocals as my job involves looking up at people and then down at notes a lot, so they could be perfect!

All help and advice gratefully received. Not tried them on my bike yet, but that will be the next stage :smile:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I hope it's OK to continue this discussion :smile:

I'm on my second pair of varifocals - the first were an utter failure where I felt that I couldn't see much properly at all as the sweet spots were tiny for everything. These were the Platinum option from Boots.

I have since got a pair on trial from another high street store that reckoned they could solve the problem. I have gone for the best quality option again and for distance/driving they are great - little or no noticeable distortion and a much bigger sweet spot. The problem is reading ... I understand there is a compromise here and this is quite a small zone but should I be able to read the width of a novel-sized book page without moving my head? At the moment, I have blurry edges at the periphery on both sides which seems a pretty small area. Using my iPad is a pain as the sweet spot is much smaller than the screen but my iPhone is ok.

I just need to know if this is normal and I will get used to it or if I could get a better reading area by opting for even more bespoke lenses (perhaps from one of the upper end manufacturers). I desperately want to get used to varifocals as my job involves looking up at people and then down at notes a lot, so they could be perfect!

All help and advice gratefully received. Not tried them on my bike yet, but that will be the next stage :smile:

Generally I use a desktop computer so I find varifocals useless for that. For my netbook, Kindle or slightly larger tablet I find them fine. I've tried reading a two column technical journal and I find the only difference between reading with varifocals and without is the distance I hold it at.

Angusthewestie

Thanks my bike!

So it sounds like I should be able to see more when reading. The distance side is so much better than the ones I tried before but the reading seems poorer. I'm surprised that I cannot see clearly across one line in a novel or on my iPad ... I guess this all boils down to the question of whether I should need to be moving my head to keep my focus on just one page width of text? Could better quality lenses from an independent optican improve this, I wonder ... although these are supposed to be the bespoke option!

byegad

Legendary Member
I've been wearing varifocals for well over 25yrs. I have no issues at all with them, except trying to read a printed sheet pinned high on a wall where I can't lean back far enough to get a focus.

A friend uses three pairs of glasses, reading, screen and distance so decided after an eye test to try varifocals on the back of my success. He really couldn't get on with them and the optician refunded the costs and made up three pairs to the new prescription.

I suspect some people cannot manage with them and it is because they can't learn to lift and nod their head to get a focus. Not a fault in them,merely part of us all being different.

Angusthewestie

Thanks byegad :smile:

I took the specs back this morning, as several friends who wear progressives said they could read across a whole page without any blur or head movement. I think the reading zone was just too narrow for me. I'm fine in lifting and nodding my head, I think, so I'm going to see a local independent optician tomorrow who uses Essilor Physio and swears by them (with a 30 day refund policy if not satisfied though). I wonder if I just need to get 'better' quality lenses to satisfy my awkward eyes ... will get a retest too, so belt and braces!

Anyone used the Essilor Physios (or other recommendations)?

Top Bottom