Vasectomy and bike saddles (Mod edited title)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Depends how you have it done. I had mine privately under a local on a Thursday evening and was fine, if a little sore from the stitch pulling for a few days. Once I removed the stitch, it was one of those dissolving one, but having checked I was healed on the Tuesday night I used my Swiss army knife scissors to snip it and pull it out, I was out on the bike the next Friday night. My then boss, having been appraised as to why I may be off the day after the surgery was amazed to see me at work and asked me if I'd chickened out.

Nearly everyone I know opted for a general and had real issues. My surgeon had advised a local because 'Then you can properly relax and I don't have to grab them and drag them down to access the Vas.'
My brother in law walked into the house after discharge and promptly fainted onto his front, not doing the lads any good at all! Another friend was practically using a wheelbarrow to carry his spuds for a few days!
Do they do it under a general anaesthetic? I had it done on the NHS a long time ago and it was a quick outpatient visit with a local anaesthetic. Not exactly pleasant but nothing to really moan about and I would have thought a general anaesthetic was overkill unless someone is very nervous or squeamish.
I started using a Selle SMP Extra split saddle a year or more ago on my gravel bike because of other issues and have found it so good I fitted one on my road bike.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
The OP seems to have drifted away about 2 1/2 pages ago.
Cut off in his prime.

It isn't about being "adult", it is about it being the wrong word for eth procedure.

You might have noticed the first response was from a mod asking if he actually mean vasectomy, so then the title was changed to be correct.
still don't see the sense or agree to be honest.
Cripes - there's lots of wrong words used for stuff all across cyclechat, lots of wonky possibly barmy arguments/views - "wrong" can be enlightening, interesting, funny etc etc.
Nowt stranger than folk, truth often stranger more interesting than fiction - hence my REALLY TRUE odd factoids thread.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Do they do it under a general anaesthetic? I had it done on the NHS a long time ago and it was a quick outpatient visit with a local anaesthetic. Not exactly pleasant but nothing to really moan about and I would have thought a general anaesthetic was overkill unless someone is very nervous or squeamish.
I started using a Selle SMP Extra split saddle a year or more ago on my gravel bike because of other issues and have found it so good I fitted one on my road bike.

No. Local, and if you are lucky it takes. One side no pain, one side no anaesthetic, and considering they burn you 3 times I was finding it hard to stay still.

My wife referred it to feeling like a back street abortion clinic. Queue of blokes one after the other with partners outside. You walked in to the room with the smell of the previous guys burnt bacon. Pretty disgusting experience. And some other doctor just walked in when I was all out, whilst the doc was scrabbling round for a needle and thread to patch up the bleeding.

They did when I was done early eighties. Ward full of men coming round from the anaesthetic and their hands going down under the sheets to have feel to make sure all was in tact. :laugh:
My snip was in1985 and I'm not sure GA was even an option. A GA op puts a lot more workload and bed space on the , but saying that I know some people who had GA for throat endoscopies.

byegad

Legendary Member
My snip was in1985 and I'm not sure GA was even an option. A GA op puts a lot more workload and bed space on the , but saying that I know some people who had GA for throat endoscopies.
Mine and the others I alluded to were all mid 80s. Here in NE England, and in the NW it appeared to be NHS policy to use a General, certainly my Brother in Law had no choice. As I paid for mine I had the choice, there were considerable financial benefits to having a local. Not being over squeamish I saved the cash, a 'Good Yorkshire decision!' Overall it was simpler than a tooth extraction, and not much more expensive, but at the other end, so to speak.

CXRAndy

Guru
You might have laughed. I winced. :unsure:

And as to a saddle, maybe one of these?

View attachment 631163
I used the ISM Adamo saddle for quite a few years. Pretty comfortable even on big rides. But I eventually found the perfect saddle

Selle Italia Superflow
20220216_192115.jpg

Top Bottom