Vatternrundan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zoom

Über Member
Brainstorm said:
My start time is about 3 in the morning, and after 2.50 you don't need lights or reflectors.

mine's 02.32

I may (very briefly) catch you :ohmy:

nice job Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Thanks Z, I'm flattered. I'm sure it will be as des.o said and the marshals won't be that discerning, especially at 20 minutes before sunrise.

Zoom

Über Member
I'm not even sure when they do the bike check (if at all) you collect your start number from a big tent/hall like all these events.

On PBP it was supposed to be the day before but the grass was waterlogged so they did it as you trudged out to the start line also in the rain; "light front and rear; hiviz vest, yep off you go"

OP
OP
Kablinsky

Kablinsky

When the charity last did the ride in 2006 they said that there were no checks for side reflectors (that's not to say they won't check them this year). They did check lights and front/back reflectors. Reflective stickers are not allowed.

OP
OP
Kablinsky

Kablinsky

Bollo said:
Looks very civilised, although any forecast beyond five days is really only a rough guide. I can cope with rain, but strong winds could make me struggle.

Just something to keep an eye on as the big day approaches. The wind is my biggest problem too. I'll settle for no wind, no rain and fairly warm. Not too much to ask for.

Zoom

Über Member
if anybody is still here; see you all Thu in Motala; I'll be watching the weather (and especially wind) forecast keenly between now and then

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Hiya - weather looks crap - wind and possibly rain. I've just cross-checked this with the Swedish Met Office and they're saying the same. We can only hope that the 5 day forecast is still a little untrustworthy.:rofl:

Bike packed - leave on Wednesday. See ya there!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Kablinsky said:
Real feel -6 degrees! WTF?!?!?!?!

Apparently it snowed one year during the ride. See you there Zoom. I'll be the one towing a St Bernard.

This is where we are staying. Let us know if it's far from you.
http://gulasidorna.eniro.se/query/referring_what/all/what/ip/advert_code/65025374_GS/search_word/wetternbyn/from/web_comp_name

My campsite isn't too far away here....

picture.php

des.o

Veteran
Hi all - heading off tomorrow and riding down from Skavsta at a leisurely pace Weds and Thursday. Weather really does look a bit rubbish - that minus 6 is a bit of a worry. Was almost tempted to bail this morning, but hopefully it will come good. From previous experience my advice is to dress warm for the night bit and then dump the excess kit at one of the feed stations when it warms up a bit. The return and pick up service is really efficient - your stuff will be back before you.

My route down is a bit different from Zoom's but we cross over towards the end, so you never know we may bump into each other on Thursday.

Hope everyone has a good (and dry) ride, I'm on a red Condor fratello, do say hello if you see me. Am going to stay in the closest school gym before and after the ride, so may bump into you then.

OP
OP
Kablinsky

Kablinsky

Our flight lands in Stockholm at 17.20 so we won't be in Motala until late Thursday. Hopefully we can get together briefly on Friday, once I've figured how to put my bike back together, then obviously on Saturday evening for a quiet drink or two. Apparently we've got a table booked at a place called Harrys Bar for a meal and copious amounts of grog.

There'll be approximately 30 of us wearing these jerseys. I'll be the one moaning about the weather the most.

http://www.cyclistsfc.org.uk/

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Just got back from my LBS with a new pair of winter gloves - I left my last pair on the train a few months ago and <makes scoffing sound> didn't think I'd need any until the Autumn. LBS manager took pity and let me have them for a discount. Also packed a set of slightly more suitable tyres for very wet weather.

Top Bottom