Vatternrundan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Kablinsky said:
The smart money is saying you'll need a new pair of shoes by the morning.

..and so close to being right! Now that is something I don't want to repeat.

OP
OP
Kablinsky

Kablinsky

Bollo said:
..and so close to being right! Now that is something I don't want to repeat.

So you got it sorted? Or am I just looking out for the rider with masking tape wrapped around his shoes?

des.o

Veteran
I'm booked for this year and have done it before - wouldn't worry about reflectors, they don't check at all, just a cursory glance at lights. The computer chip is is in a velcro band you strap round your ankle - it records your time at the various checkpoints on the course. The gym accommodation is fine, you get a hot shower and secure bike parking/fettling space. Earplugs are a good idea though unless 200 odd snoring cyclists floats your boat.

Is anyone riding down from Stockholm/Skavska airport? - I like the idea to save on car hire costs, but can't work out the logistics and what to do with the bike bag at the airport.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Hi deso. Thanks for the reflector info.

I think Zoom is intending riding from Stockholm. PM him here, or try and catch him on yacf or bikeradar.

Zoom

Über Member
You rang Sir?

Yes I'm travelling from Stockholm; I hate Ryanair and their bike policy so much I went for BA to Arlanda and thence airport bus to the city centre (locking up my bike bag in a left luggage locker, not sure if Skavsta have these Arlanda do); this has the slight disadvantage of a 115km extra journey to and from the start but hopefully it will be a pleasant tour; I'm landing on the Wed a.m and then riding to Vingaker where I'm in a hostel (230Skr a night) thence riding on to Motala on the Thu. Reversing the process on Sunday/Monday (reminds me must book a hostel there too)

I can stick a Bikely route up if you are interested; could even meet you 1/2 way.

Thanks for the heads up re the 4 reflectors Bollo; it's 4 more than I currently have :biggrin:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Kablinsky said:
So you got it sorted? Or am I just looking out for the rider with masking tape wrapped around his shoes?

Just about. Chances are my shoes are the only bit that won't require masking tape by the end of the ride.

Back to reflectors. I've managed to cannibalise the cateye reflectors fitted to my trailer. I've got a suspicious face that seems to draw the wrath of officialdom, so I'm taking no chances with the 'requirements'.

des.o

Veteran
Thanks Zoom - very helpful. Also not a fan of Ryanair's bike charges, but the total cost f still just beats BA and Skavsta is 90km closer to Motala which may sway it for me. I'm going to email them re left luggage facilities. Your bikely route would be much appreciated, as you say our paths could cross on route.

Zoom

Über Member
des.o said:
Thanks Zoom - very helpful. Also not a fan of Ryanair's bike charges, but the total cost f still just beats BA and Skavsta is 90km closer to Motala which may sway it for me. I'm going to email them re left luggage facilities. Your bikely route would be much appreciated, as you say our paths could cross on route.

it was the fact of having a friend close to Heathrow (plus the bike goes free) which swung it to BA for me; interestingly when I costed it at Ryanair's "1p" (ha ha) fare it was still £10 more after taking the trek to Stansted into account.

here's the route I'm planning on

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Vattern-Voyage

des.o

Veteran
Cheers Zoom - looks a good route. Seems ryanair are about to add on even more luggage surcharges so I'd better make a decision soon. Plus there's the small matter of getting some training in.

Brainstorm

Ryanair only allow 15kg, if you are 0.0001grams over you're gonna have to pay. They know that nobody can travel with 15 kg, which is why they set the limit at 15 kg, so they can take your money when you are a smidgen over 15kg.

By the way, a hard bike case weights like 12kg with no bike in it.

Whatever airline you are flying with, check their latest policy re big cases, overweight and bikes. They are all hard up and are looking for cash! I used to work for one, they recently went bust. So now I have time to cycle!

Zoom

Über Member
Brainstorm said:
Ryanair only allow 15kg, if you are 0.0001grams over you're gonna have to pay. They know that nobody can travel with 15 kg, which is why they set the limit at 15 kg, so they can take your money when you are a smidgen over 15kg.

By the way, a hard bike case weights like 12kg with no bike in it.

The bike bag is exempt from the 15kg as you've paid an extra charge (twice what you've paid to sit on the plane) for it; last year we bought a little wine on the way to Nimes and this put our combined pre-paid holdall over the 15kg so we just stuffed a load of extra clothes etc in with the bikes (on the check in person's advice) :smile:

I used to want to have Ryanair's babies but after their stupid charges (latest one today; £40 charge if you don't print out your boarding card online before you arrive at the airport :laugh:) they can go to hell unless there is no alternative.

Zoom

Über Member
I jst went through the motions of booking a "free" return flight from Stansted to Skavsta and return on the dates required either side of the ride;

total cost £129.81!! and presumably you have to pay £5 extra to use a card to pay (not sure how else you are supposed to pay online)

Caveat Emptor; you can still just about get to Arlanda on BA for that and I can probably sort you out a bed near Heathrow and a lift to the airport (for the price of a couple of pints and half a curry for my mate) . My experience of many of the airports Ryanair use in France and Italy is that apart from a Ryanair check in desk and a cafe/bar there are zero facilities so don't bank on being able to leave a bike box/bag there.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Zoom said:
total cost £129.81!! and presumably you have to pay £5 extra to use a card to pay (not sure how else you are supposed to pay online)
...which is what I'll be paying in bridge tolls there and back (Storebaelt and Oresund bridges).;):smile:

That's the price I pay for my eco-credentials (and being poo-scared of flying :sad:)

BTW - anyone got their start card yet? I think they're supposed to send them out around now.

OP
OP
Kablinsky

Kablinsky

Bollo said:
...which is what I'll be paying in bridge tolls there and back (Storebaelt and Oresund bridges).:smile::sad:

That's the price I pay for my eco-credentials (and being poo-scared of flying :sad:)

BTW - anyone got their start card yet? I think they're supposed to send them out around now.

Yep, start card came thorugh yesterday. I'm in group 12. I make that in the first 700 odd to set out. I may hammer it for the first hour just so I can be in the lead. . . .then blame a mechanical for dropping out ;)

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Kablinsky said:
Yep, start card came thorugh yesterday. I'm in group 12. I make that in the first 700 odd to set out. I may hammer it for the first hour just so I can be in the lead. . . .then blame a mechanical for dropping out ;)

Thanks K - I'll be checking the post over the next few days.

Instead of a planned mechanical breakdown, I'm packing an elderly Scottish local councillor and Rotarian. If I have to stop, then everybody stops!

Top Bottom