Vatternrundan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Got home and my start card is there. Brings it all home a little bit. :ohmy:

Last big training ride on Saturday - only 100km but includes some unpleasant hills around Watership Down.

OP
OP
Kablinsky

Kablinsky

Bollo said:
Thanks K - I'll be checking the post over the next few days.

Instead of a planned mechanical breakdown, I'm packing an elderly Scottish local councillor and Rotarian. If I have to stop, then everybody stops!

So that's the real reason you're taking the car. O don't blame you. Ryanair's surcharges for carrying elderly scots are criminal.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Kablinsky said:
So that's the real reason you're taking the car. O don't blame you. Ryanair's surcharges for carrying elderly scots are criminal.
Its not so much the ageing kirkster that costs the money - its the weight of all those carpet tacks!

Brainstorm

Well at least it is not raining this weekend. The only good thing about rain is no bugs. But I prefer sun and bugs between my teeth. I hear they contain lots of protein.

Booked with BA, they claim all the normal baggage plus a bike in a bike case for free. Sounds too good to be true. Perhaps they are assuming that I will be sitting on the bike.

Zoom

Über Member
Bollo said:
...which is what I'll be paying in bridge tolls there and back (Storebaelt and Oresund bridges).:ohmy::sad:

That's the price I pay for my eco-credentials (and being poo-scared of flying :sad:)

BTW - anyone got their start card yet? I think they're supposed to send them out around now.

yep arrived today; I'll be the first in the queue to climb up the 120m radio mast as mentioned in the tourist brochure.

Made a slight booboo was expecting to sleep in the gym Thu but it doesn't open until Fri; what's Swedish for Bus Shelter? :smile:

Brainstorm; what day/time you arriving in Stockholm?

Brainstorm

I'll be there on the 5th as I am spending a few days in Stockholm with friends. When I sober up I guess I'll make my way to the start line. Somehow.

But I am wondering, what if my bike case falls off the trolley and gets run over by a 747 or a fuel truck or something, do I get a new one?? Airlines usually only cover up to something like £500 if your bag gets damaged or ends up in Peru. I spent my life's savings building a nice bike, its even got stripes down the side. And it's got one of those seats with a hole in the middle to save any embarrassments in the bedroom.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Zoom said:
Made a slight booboo was expecting to sleep in the gym Thu but it doesn't open until Fri; what's Swedish for Bus Shelter? :biggrin:
Whoops! I'd guess that alternative accommodation around Motala will be pretty difficult to find. Maybe the local tourist info might be able to find somewhere?

Looking at the map, the campsite where I'm staying is around 3km from the start. Now that is going to be the hardest 3km I've ever had to pedal.

OP
OP
Kablinsky

Kablinsky

Zoom, I'll have a word with the trustees if you like to see if our Stugors are full? Maybe there will be a spare space.

Bollo, yep very tough 3k. especially after your free beer and massage at the finish. Getting back on a bike will be the last thing on your 'to do' list.

Anyone know what the 2010 date for this is?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
monstadog said:
Anyone know what the 2010 date for this is?
Mr Largedog

I had a quick look on the website but there's not much info about 2010 on there.

B'storm

If you're worried about your bike, get some insurance. The CTC do travel insurance that can cover accidental damage to your bike and has some provision for hiring, although I wouldn't fancy doing 300km on a hire-hack.

Zoom

Über Member
Kablinsky said:
Zoom, I'll have a word with the trustees if you like to see if our Stugors are full?

thanks but I'll be ok under the stars if need be; it will mean I can doze on Friday pm so as to be vaguely human at 0200

Has anyone any ideas on side reflectors? I was thinking a couple of orange spoke ones cable tied to the head tube; it will only be for 18 min for me anyway

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Zoom,

I bought a couple of Cateye universal clips, attached these to the front forks and then attached the cateye reflectors from my trailer on to these. They're white, but I believe that's ok. As I had the reflectors, it only cost me a fiver for the clips, but it could become a little expensive to do from scratch.

After a bit of experimentation, the front forks seems to be about the only place that didn't catch and weren't obscured by my legs.

I'll take a photo when I get home.

Zoom

Über Member
I'm ok with front and rear reflectors; got a pair that came with my son's BMX along with a front brake none of which are ever going to be fitted (be seen at night on a bmx; what's that? :o) just need the side pair; white will be ok if I can't find orange but a clubmate has some small oval orange spoke ones he can lend me.

no reason I couldn't steal some out of some pedals I suppose (good idea; just found a pair and have zip tied them to the drops) I'm sure if The Man from Del Motala he say No there will be some entrepreneur selling something on Friday.

the rules don't mention a bell do they?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Here's my solution. I did a longish ride this weekend and the clips held ok on the forks so I'll trim the excess on the tabs. I suppose the extra drag would affect my 10k time, if I had such a thing as a 10k time.

Can't decide between the full carbon campy ergo-bell or the shimano dura-ding.;)

picture.php

picture.php

Top Bottom