Vatternrundan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Brainstorm said:
What have you guys done to prepare for this, what type of mileage?
Other than wrapping myself in a cocoon of denial and wishful thinking?

I'll ride a minimum of 40-50 miles a week commuting anyway, but since about March I've increased this to at least 100-150 miles a week. I'll do this with a mixture of commuting, dedicated training rides of between 40-80 miles and some half-hour turbo sessions a couple of times a week. Nothing too structured though. I'm doing this for fun after all.

Although I've done the odd imperial ton in the past, I've not hit the magic hundred for this event. Instead I've concentrated on shorter, more intense stuff. This is partly a time thing and partly to protect a guffy knee that could scupper the whole shooting match if it goes wrong. Also, where I live is pretty hilly, which makes the miles count for more.

Zoom

Über Member
Kablinsky said:
Does 'gym' mean something else in Swedish?

no it means gymnasium and is where they are offering cheap basic accomodation; bring a sleeping mat and bag; I intend to use this Thu and Sat night ;)

Zoom

Über Member
Brainstorm said:
What have you guys done to prepare for this, what type of mileage?

done 100km more than this event last weekend ;) for me the challenge is to ride it fast; you don't get that on Audax and I'd like to beat my previous 300 time by 2 hrs.

honestly; it's not about the distance it's about being well fed, rested and above all comfortable on the bike; once those are in place you can ride and ride especially on this terrain :smile:

Don't fret

but I'd recommend a few 100-150 km rides over here beforehand

Brainstorm

For me the challenge is to get to Motala on my bike rather than on a stretcher! I have done about 1500 km since Christmas, usually 50 or 75 km each time with as many hills as I can find, but am trying to do longer rides now. Have also done some turbo sessions.

Shall head out for a longer ride today, too bad it is raining in Bristol!

OP
OP
Kablinsky

Kablinsky

My preparation has so far included. . . an aggravated disc in my back (6 weeks of physio), severe knee pain on a century ride as LBS messed up bike setup (never again) and this week a mild chest infection. I guess I'm just lucky.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Zoom said:
no it means gymnasium and is where they are offering cheap basic accomodation; bring a sleeping mat and bag; I intend to use this Thu and Sat night :biggrin:

I've just booked myself into a fancy 4* hotel in Lund (near Malmo) for the Thursday night. I'll be thinking of you on your gym floor, Zoom :rolleyes::o)

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Kablinsky said:
My preparation has so far included. . . an aggravated disc in my back (6 weeks of physio), severe knee pain on a century ride as LBS messed up bike setup (never again) and this week a mild chest infection. I guess I'm just lucky.

Memo to self - avoid Kab like plague. He is cursed!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I was just checking the prevailing weather conditions in that part of Sweden and came across the Swedish met office website. Here's a link to their quite funky forecast page. You'll need to zoom into Motala to get the benefit.

Also note that the wind speeds are in metres per second - 1 m/s equals about 2.2mph to save you looking it up. The prevailing directions and strengths seem to be quite UK-like.

http://www.smhi.se/cmp/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=5236&l=en

OP
OP
Kablinsky

Kablinsky

Bollo said:
Memo to self - avoid Kab like plague. He is cursed!

Funny you should say that. I took half the office out just after christmas. Swine flu is not the worry there. It is referred to as the 'Guarnieri Plague'

Wind?!?!? Nobody told me there would be wind.

and finally. . . .on a lighter note. Out training last night, approaching mini roundabout, unclipped left shoe, rested foot back on pedal, bike comes to a halt. Imagine my horror on hearing the dreaded 'click' as the shoe slipped back into the pedal. I got as far as 'FU. . .' before I hit the pavement. OH THE SHAME!!!!!! What an amateur!:smile:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Kablinsky said:
Funny you should say that. I took half the office out just after christmas. Swine flu is not the worry there. It is referred to as the 'Guarnieri Plague'

Wind?!?!? Nobody told me there would be wind.

and finally. . . .on a lighter note. Out training last night, approaching mini roundabout, unclipped left shoe, rested foot back on pedal, bike comes to a halt. Imagine my horror on hearing the dreaded 'click' as the shoe slipped back into the pedal. I got as far as 'FU. . .' before I hit the pavement. OH THE SHAME!!!!!! What an amateur!:tongue:

:biggrin:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
A serious question now. I've just been going through the website blurb and its seems we'll need front, rear and side reflectors! I can just about scrape together a front and rear, but side reflectors FFS!? They also warn about spoke reflectors being dangerous! It's H&S gone mad I tell you.....(waves copy of Daily Wail in air)

Brainstorm

I was reading about it too. Looks like we'll all have a computer chip inserted...somewhere, so that they can monitor us. Not joking now, that is what is says. Never even heard of that before.

Mobile phones are banned. I suppose that is a good thing, that way my mates can't call me up and poke fun at me for falling off the back.

And there will be police there to check that we don't try and drive anywhere within 6 hours of finishing as it is dangerous, even if we are wearing our approved cycle helmets. How would they know anyway? Through the chip I guess.

On the bright side we are not required to wear life jackets and strobe lights on our heads, unless I missed something in the fine print.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Kablinsky said:
Well whadayano. . .I managed to stay upright on my bike yesterday!
:biggrin::biggrin:

I have cleat problems of a different class - I'm going to have to drill out the top set of screws on my speedplay cleats tonight. I can't get purchase with the screwdriver as they're worn to buggery. Will I trash £100+ worth of cycling shoes......?

Kablinsky said:
Re: reflectors. I was just going to buy 2 gross of these and cover every part of my bike in them. It'll light up like a christmas tree.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BIKE-IT-REFLE...S-BIKE-IT_W0QQitemZ250351700969QQcmdZViewItem

I seem to remember that in the promo video on the Vatternrundan website there's a shot of someone waving a packet of reflectors like he'd just won the lottery. I'll take some stickers and ankle reflectors just in case.

OP
OP
Kablinsky

Kablinsky

Bollo said:
:angry::biggrin:

I have cleat problems of a different class - I'm going to have to drill out the top set of screws on my speedplay cleats tonight. I can't get purchase with the screwdriver as they're worn to buggery. Will I trash £100+ worth of cycling shoes......?

The smart money is saying you'll need a new pair of shoes by the morning.

Top Bottom