Vauxhall Mokka Petrol........anyone drive one??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am thinking of changing my car. I presently drive a 1.6 Astra petrol auto. I have been happy with it.
OK...........I want petrol (don't do much mileage now) and I want auto (cos I like it). All that does limit what is available as they are not, obviously, so common as manual drive.
I want 2nd hand....perhaps 2 years old.
I test drove a Ford Focus (again petrol auto) and was quite impressed.
Went to the local Vauxhall dealer and all they can offer (in petrol auto) is a 1.4 turbo Mokka.....and that one is in the Midlands.
I sat in one and it actually felt good. The "problem" is......the reviews slate it for handling, sluggishness, noise etc etc.
I don't really trust reviews but 3 of them say similar.
Just wondering if any CCrs have one and what you think of it.
Before anyone says it............I will have a test drive in a manual.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, quite recently. Punchy motor, but horrendous tyre noise in the rear on the big alloys (19's I think they were). Back in August Vauxhall were telling us it'd be December at the earliest before they could deliver a new one in the spec we wanted (after initially telling us 4-6 weeks), and upon that news we cancelled the order. Undeterred, were went to the Kia dealer and 10 days later were in a new Sportage, which is bigger inside and far, far, far more refined.

I am thinking of changing my car. I presently drive a 1.6 Astra petrol auto. I have been happy with it.
OK...........I want petrol (don't do much mileage now) and I want auto (cos I like it). All that does limit what is available as they are not, obviously, so common as manual drive.
I want 2nd hand....perhaps 2 years old.
I test drove a Ford Focus (again petrol auto) and was quite impressed.
Went to the local Vauxhall dealer and all they can offer (in petrol auto) is a 1.4 turbo Mokka.....and that one is in the Midlands.
I sat in one and it actually felt good. The "problem" is......the reviews slate it for handling, sluggishness, noise etc etc.
I don't really trust reviews but 3 of them say similar.
Just wondering if any CCrs have one and what you think of it.
Before anyone says it............I will have a test drive in a manual.
My number 2 at work has one. Although it's not German in it's refinement, it doesn't come with a German price tag, there is also a neat little extra you can add, an integrated bike rack, that pushes away into the rear of the car, like a cup holder.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Yes, quite recently. Punchy motor, but horrendous tyre noise in the rear on the big alloys (19's I think they were). Back in August Vauxhall were telling us it'd be December at the earliest before they could deliver a new one in the spec we wanted (after initially telling us 4-6 weeks), and upon that news we cancelled the order. Undeterred, were went to the Kia dealer and 10 days later were in a new Sportage, which is bigger inside and far, far, far more refined.

The Sportage is a nice looking vehicle............but..........
The Mokka is basically on an Astra chassis so not too big.........The Sportage "appears visually" to be much bigger.
The Mokka appears to be good value e.g. the one I have been offered is 15 plate, 11,600 on the clock, top of the range (all the bells & whistles)..........for £13K. I cant imagine getting that in a Sportage.
I am more than happy to be corrected.

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe try it and other vehicles of similar ilk and size? and then see which one you like the most

Soft roaders aren't my bag but I can (sort of) see the appeal

For your budget, you could get a Skoda Fabia VRS estate DSG...I can highly recommend this very model, very comfortable, spacious, quick and economical considering :whistle:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
A having driven both, a Focus is a far nicer car to drive with great handling.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Mokka is based on the previous Corsa platform and compared to the Sportage is miniscule inside. It doesn't just look it, it actually is.

Sportages hold their value very well (we're on our third, second new one) compared to the Mokka, and they drive better by a country mile - one is a brand new car from the ground up, the other is a fairly old model based on a Vehicle first sold in 2006 , and the press reviews are reflecting this. Not even the same league. Not even in sight. No comparison whatsoever. Go drive them and see for yourself.

We only looked at the Mokka as Woman fancied something trendy and funky, but in retrospect I was not at all disappointed the Vauxhall dealer jerked us about.

Last edited:

tony111

Veteran
I bought a 2 year old Citroen grand Picasso last year. I'd looked at Kia Sportage and similar style cars but found the cabin size to be the same as some estates. The Citroen is huge inside and a bonus is it has 7 seats when needed, but this leaves you with a boot the same size as an old Mini.I am getting approx. 60 mpg. but it is the diesel automatic.Very pleased with it, paid £11500. It was £27000 when new.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
The Mokka is basically a Corsa / Astra platform pumped up higher to appeal to people that want that 4WD point of view. You don't get any more room or capacity.
Around my way (where they're made) it seems to be a real housewife's favourite... I wouldn't bother unless all you want is to sit a little taller in the traffic.

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4652486, member: 259"]

The new Sportages are chuffing brilliant cars. My wife has a top range one and it's a really good, quality car to drive and the stereo is quite good too:music:[/QUOTE]

As usual, Mort is correct. The Gen IV has really come of age. As good, if not better, than anything in the same category, superb value, excellent warranty. Kia can't get enough of them, that one model alone is now outselling the rest of the range combined in the UK. I'm not really a car person but I'm genuinely blown away by how good it is. Even my oldest daughter who drives a new Porsche Cayenne was seriously impressed.

The ix35 is the old GenIII Sportage styled differently, but priced higher with less warranty. Hyundai have now reverted to the Tuscon name for the new model, which is a new Gen IV Sportage in a party frock.

Top Bottom