Veg growers what should I put here ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes so long as the pot is of a good depth.

I wouldn't bother with anything shallower than a foot deep, preferably more, and plenty of water once they get going.

They grow fast in warm weather, and will try to go to seed if they get dry.

Just keep cutting the leaves -
- and eating them :smile:

OK, thanks, I got a few large planters that will do. They've currently got logs in, but I can put those in something else. I like spinach, but think chard will be less faff.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
OK, thanks, I got a few large planters that will do. They've currently got logs in, but I can put those in something else. I like spinach, but think chard will be less faff.

Yes true spinach, although tasty, goes to seed far more quickly.

If you don't want the thick stalks of chard, try 'spinach beet' instead.

It has a similar flavour, and growth habit -

Cut and come again all year - you might need to liquid feed (seaweed or similar) if it's in a pot

Yes true spinach, although tasty, goes to seed far more quickly.

If you don't want the thick stalks of chard, try 'spinach beet' instead.

It has a similar flavour, and growth habit -

Cut and come again all year - you might need to liquid feed (seaweed or similar) if it's in a pot

Either will do. Just looking for something green and leafy that's reasonably easy to care for.

I have a gallon of tomato food - that should do, I reckon.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I like spring green cabbage and curly kale which are lovely finely chopped and fried in butter...

Yes, Kale isn't really difficult to grow,
But it does need to be netted against cabbage white butterflies in summer - otherwise you have nothing left - same with all the other brassicas.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't know if it was posted on here, but this is as good a way as any to deter the sneaky little slimers...

I was booked to construct something similar for a pal but we have put it on hold until the restrictions have been eased...

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I don't know if it was posted on here, but this is as good a way as any to deter the sneaky little slimers...

Personally I wouldn't bother if growing in raised beds. I turned my whole allotment over to raised bed production four years ago. It's a side effect I hadn't expected but I haven't any slug or snail damage since.

The other solution, which brings many benefits, is to raise crops which can be transplanted in pots before planting out. For example I grow my brassicas in 10-13cm pots until they're around 20cm tall. Plant these out with the first true leaf at soil level to give well established strong plants from the word go.

The larger the plant you can put in your beds the faster they will establish and will be less susceptible to pest attack during this time.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@BADGER.BRAD you've plenty of advice on what to grow so I'll stick to three points

You spoke of "concentrating on volume" I suggest this would be a mistake unless you want to spend time preparing and freezing surpluses. You'll get far more benefit from growing small regular batches of things the family enjoy. This is the important word, enjoy, I grow spinach, chard and pak choi which my wife and I both like and prepare in numerous ways. However you mentioned kids, they may not be so keen.

If you buy a plastic greenhouse be aware they blow over easily! My wife has bought one on two occasions. The frame makes great shelving in my glasshouse otherwise I can't think of a real benefit to buying one.

Should you decide to grow in containers, grow bags etc. try to place these as close to your water source as possible. There's nothing more miserable than an evening trudging from tap to garden with a couple of 10 litre watering cans.

Apple surpluses can be turned in to crumbles for the freezer, peel and slice to freeze blind before packing in bags/containers, make puree and freeze, apple chutney is good

Rhubarb crumble for the freezer, cut sticks in to 1" lengths freeze blind and pack in bags, rhubarb chutney is good but can be acidic.

If you make crumbles for the freezer I find an oat topping works better than the traditional one.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Personally I wouldn't bother if growing in raised beds. I turned my whole allotment over to raised bed production four years ago. It's a side effect I hadn't expected but I haven't any slug or snail damage since.

The other solution, which brings many benefits, is to raise crops which can be transplanted in pots before planting out. For example I grow my brassicas in 10-13cm pots until they're around 20cm tall. Plant these out with the first true leaf at soil level to give well established strong plants from the word go.

The larger the plant you can put in your beds the faster they will establish and will be less susceptible to pest attack during this time.

Definitely raise transplants if you have facilities..
I probs raise 80% of my cropping that way.

Or buy them in if you don't have capacity to look after them

Although it might be harder to source bought in plants this year, I know a few nurseries have packed up for now, but I guess online sales will soar.

Transplanting, also gives a chance to get the ground weed free. But they don't want to be too big when you transplant, or it will stress them.

Re the raised beds / mollusc issue I'd sound a slight note of caution though.

Depends on the soil type, and what is used to edge the beds.

Slugs and snails will enjoy the crevice btxt soil, and edging material. to hide in in the daytime.

It's worth going out with a head torch and a pair of scissors, to catch em at it, at night .

And if the soil is very light and sandy then raised beds will dry out quickly.

I'd agree re plastic greenhouse, they are wind prone, and to extremes of temperature, because of their relatively small size.

I've seen far more abandoned / repurposed ones, than any being put to their intended use - although if you're there all day to babysit it, it could work out better.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Cupidon is the best bean I’ve grown. Very prolific.

Probs too scruffy (?) but a few old wooden window frames knocked together makes a good DIY greenhouse for raising seed to transplants. Hung on wall even, like a window with shelves.

Alpine strawberries can be grown in hanging baskets. Delightful hit of fruit flavour in one tiny berry. Not a bowl filler but tasty.

Consider future years and look at cordon fruit tree for the wall

Couple of ones for slightly longer term, leeks and spinach can give you some easy/fresh veg during the winter. However, Id get sowing the stuff mentioned above asap (indoors/under glass).

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Definitely raise transplants if you have facilities..
I probs raise 80% of my cropping that way.

Or buy them in if you don't have capacity to look after them

Although it might be harder to source bought in plants this year, I know a few nurseries have packed up for now, but I guess online sales will soar.

Transplanting, also gives a chance to get the ground weed free. But they don't want to be too big when you transplant, or it will stress them.

Last Monday I went to my local retail nursery and purchased potting compost, grow bags (I use the peat in containers for tomatoes in my glasshouse), the veg transplants they had available as it's early and tried to buy seed. ALL the veg seed had been wiped out over the weekend so I had to go to B&Q. I don't have the varieties I usually grow but at least have all I need though I did forget spinach beet.

Lockdown the next day so I'm very glad to have had the foresight to do this.

A tip for tomato growers if using containers. Get a two litre plastic bottle, make 3 holes in the cap with something like a bradle, cut off the bottle bottom. Insert a 9/10cm pot in your compost and then place the bottle in cap downwards. Fill with water or feed as necessary. This will allow slow release of the water in to your compost and avoid wasted water draining straight through. It also allows one to regulate the amount of water or feed given to the plants - overwatering or erratic watering is the single biggest issue with growing tomatoes at an amateur level. The cap will block from time to time, remove the bottle and cap, was thoroughly and replace. Tomatoes need a regulated constant amount of water - not drought and flood.

I use two bottles per container as I have two plants in each. The containers are approximately 90cm in length

Top Bottom