Veg growers what should I put here ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Not sure what chemical you would use anyway? Picking them off before they get in.
Checking regularly and using the peppers before they start to rot.
Joining a site which is more likely to know the answer. Obvious choice https://www.allotment-garden.org/ they don't expect you contribute before answering questions. This is actual part of the site to go to https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=1.0
Thank you. I do keep an eye open for the entry hole and bin those with one. Eating them before they rot isn't an option. Cutting one open will usually reveal an earwig living inside and lots of earwig pooh!!!! xx(

I'm not generally squeamish but this makes me gag. Why I'm unsure I just find it really horrible though I'm well aware disposing of the live earwig and a good wash of the fruit is all that's needed.

I've never tried drying it - they're about the size of a medium onion - so i imagine its possible.

I find they're too tasty to store for long - i just want to eat them up.

I've seen them stored in olive oil and eaten whole that way - and then of course you're left with garlicky olive oil for all manner of deliciousness :smile:
Bought some from the garlic farm isle of Wight. A bit wet at the moment when the latest you would plant it. Lincolnshire.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Bought some from the garlic farm isle of Wight. A bit wet at the moment when the latest you would plant it. Lincolnshire.

i would get it in the ground asap - its not really for drying like 'true' garlic - its more for eating fresh .

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I sometimes plant it in an old pots/trough overwinter, then pot it on in the border in spring.

That could be a useful technique on a smaller scale, esp if your soil gets very wet over winter, or smothered with weeds in early spring.

We were specifically referencing elephant garlic here, rather than the 'ordinary' sort.

But I don't see why your method wouldn't work for either, so long as the transplanting is done without root disturbance.

Although upthread we did make the point that garlic in general needs some overwintering frosting if it is to divide into cloves.

So pots / troughs outside, rather than babied in a heated greenhouse would be required.

That could be a useful technique on a smaller scale, esp if your soil gets very wet over winter, or smothered with weeds in early spring.

We were specifically referencing elephant garlic here, rather than the 'ordinary' sort.

But I don't see why your method wouldn't work for either, so long as the transplanting is done without root disturbance.

Although upthread we did make the point that garlic in general needs some overwintering frosting if it is to divide into cloves.

So pots / troughs outside, rather than babied in a heated greenhouse would be required.

Small scale, wet and weedy :-) and yes they're left outside. They do put on a fair amount of root growth and I generally put then in the ground earlier (start of aprilish).

Last edited:
Top Bottom