Vegetarians please look away to avoid offence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just put a large piece of Gloucester Old Spot rare breed organic pork in the oven. It was bred and and slaughtered locally and bought from a traditional family butcher. Not only do I feel very virtuous, I'm looking forward to eating it.:biggrin:

Patrick Stevens said:
I've just put a large piece of Gloucester Old Spot rare breed organic pork in the oven.

what time should we come round then? :biggrin:

Patrick Stevens said:
I've just put a large piece of Gloucester Old Spot rare breed organic pork in the oven. It was bred and and slaughtered locally and bought from a traditional family butcher. Not only do I feel very virtuous, I'm looking forward to eating it.:thumbsup:

MEAT IS MURDER!!!:ohmy::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::biggrin:

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
stevenb said:
Sounds delicious....did you get any cracklling to go with it....:biggrin:

Yes (drools at thought) it's got a huge amount on it and I've put so the crackling is uppermost and started it off at 200 C. for twenty minutes, before dropping it to 170.

jonesy

Guru
Ah, brings back memories of the Gloucester Old Spots that my parents reared a few times while I was a child. Delicious! :biggrin: One of the stalls at our local farmers market does sausages from them, sadly I missed the last one.

domtyler

Über Member
My oven also has pork in it, well it will do soon. But not the airy fairy stuff, real Costco special, industrial pork. Buy in bulk and fill the freezer my friends, it's the way forward.

I can guarantee the quality will be virtually indistinguishable from any of your Gloucester Old Spot's! :biggrin:

at the risk of enraging Spire and Chuffy, I'm going to mention St. John twice in an afternoon. They do a lovely Old Spot sandwich with pickle. Anybody who doubts that happy pigs of the right breed make better pork should give it a go. And........lest you forget. I worked on a pig farm for six years. Pork is a special favourite. You can't compare fishmeal fed pigs with pigs fed on grain and nuts. You can't compare pigs transported 100 miles to the slaughterhouse to those stuck the back yard.

Pete

Vegetarians please look away to avoid offence
Not merely vegetarians, but any Jews or Muslims as well, I'd reckon.

Anyway, it's not the meat-eaters enjoying their meat that irritates veggies - and others - and me. It's their constantly lecturing - smugly - about their 'moral high ground' - how right and 'normal' their eating style is, how anything different is weirdo beardy sandal-wearing stuff.

Also I'm mindful of alarming (maybe alarmist maybe not) prognostications of world famine - here in the affluent West as well as famine-stricken Africa and Asia. Might the day come when we can't afford to eat so much meat? Wait and see.

Of course, if you want to sing fulsomely the praises of your dish of pork, you could always sound out your nearest Islamist cell and see if they'll give you an ear... best of luck! :biggrin:

jonesy

Guru
Pete said:
Not merely vegetarians, but any Jews or Muslims as well, I'd reckon.
Also I'm mindful of alarming (maybe alarmist maybe not) prognostications of world famine - here in the affluent West as well as famine-stricken Africa and Asia. Might the day come when we can't afford to eat so much meat? Wait and see.

Very likely I suspect. There are very good sustainability arguments for eating less meat. But less is not the same as none and meat still has a role in sustainable agriculture: as part of crop rotation, in environments unsuitable for crop production, and in consuming waste food products.

Of course, if you want to sing fulsomely the praises of your dish of pork, you could always sound out your nearest Islamist cell and see if they'll give you an ear... best of luck! :biggrin:

You are not, I trust, equating vegetarianism with militant Islamism?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Pete said:
Anyway, it's not the meat-eaters enjoying their meat that irritates veggies - and others - and me. It's their constantly lecturing - smugly - about their 'moral high ground' - how right and 'normal' their eating style is, how anything different is weirdo beardy sandal-wearing stuff.

Yes...because you don't ever get any self righteous, moral high ground, 'meat is murder' rants from vegetarians do you?

*nips off for bacon roll*

Top Bottom