Vegetarians please look away to avoid offence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
My Favorite Vegetarian Recipe​
First, catch one vegetarian.
Gut, drain and skin in a standard manner for large game.
Remove head, hands and feet, preserve with skin on for final presentation.
Given the lean quality of most vegetarian flesh, stewing is an excellent cooking method. Poaching or braising will also work well. Roasting, frying, or broiling will require basting, tenderizing or added fat for best results.
Veggie Stew​
Ingredients (quantities are flexible, use your judgement):
one vegetarian
water
red wine
rosemary
thyme
a few juniper berries (optional)
black pepper
pearl barley (optional)
carrots
parsnips
mushrooms (wild preferable)
celery
green beans
worchestershire sauce
bay leaves
bouquet garni

Cube meat into one inch square, leaving excess in larger chunks for freezing.
Marinate in herbs (recommend rosemary,thyme, pepper, and perhaps juniper berries) and good red wine for several hours, to help tenderize.
Set water to boil in an appropriately sized cauldron or pot. You may need an extra large burner or open fire if you're making a very large quantity.
Add several bones to the water and boil briskly.
Brown meat lightly in small batches in a large skillet with butter and copped onion. Brown lightly and drain when finished on a paper towel.
Remove bones from water and add barley, if desired.
Add carrots, parsnips, and meat.
Add bay leaves, bouquet garni, and a few generous splashes of worchestershire sauce and more red wine.
Add celery, mushrooms (wild recommended), chopped onions and firm fresh green beans.
When done, serve hot with crusty bread. Can be presented in large tureen with seasonal greens or flowers intermingled with head, hands and feet arrayed around the serving bowl.
Especially festive for a holiday meal!

Pete

mr_hippo said:
Veggie Stew​
worchestershire sauce
No good, Hippers me lad! Worcs. sauce isn't veggie, it contains anchovies!

I can see Soapbox beckoning, on this one! All good fun!

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
Gerry Attrick said:
As a committed, caring human being, I have read the above posts with a great deal of interest and some dismay. I love animals..........................they are delicious:tongue:

Particularly Gloucester Old Spot. :ohmy: As a rare breed, the advantage is that the more I eat of it, the less rare it becomes. :evil:

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Patrick Stevens said:
Particularly Gloucester Old Spot. :ohmy: As a rare breed, the advantage is that the more I eat of it, the less rare it becomes. :evil:

Particularly rare breeds. I like to think I'm eating something that the common hoi-polloi don't:biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
miloat said:
dom tyler i can assure you meat is worth spending money on i cant stand cheap beef or pork simply because of the taste not the ethics though that does play a part for me.

The meat that comes from Costco is in large catering quantity sized packs. The meat is fantastic quality, it is what you would get from many middle of the road restaurants and gastro pubs for instance. It is only cheap(er) in the sense that I employ the economy of scale. You could easily do the same by going direct to a farmer and buy a whole or half a lamb/pig for instance if you have the freezer capacity to hold it.

Having said that it does not make any claims for being hand reared on organic acorn and dry roasted peanuts. It may well have slept with the farmers wife though.

The cuts tend to be pretty generous I must say compared to supermarkets too. I certainly didn't notice any particular lack of quality although it is a slightly different experience to buying meat from, say, borough market, where I would expect to pay at least four times the price for the same quantity of meat.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Patrick Stevens said:

I prefer beef rare but pork (like another tasty meat) should be nicely moist:ohmy:

Pete

mr_hippo said:
Did you read the first line of the text and also the top ingredient?
That's OK, vegetarians don't count as meat since you won't find them in butchers' shops...:sad:

Top Bottom