Vegetarians

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Any others out there, or is it just me? Cyclists, vegetarians, environmentally-conscious tree hugger types tend to get grouped together, so I'll put it to the test...... Is there such a thing as a vegetarian or vegan cyclist?

<Bridge approached with caution. Trolls have been seen in the area.>

I met a vegetarian and vegan married couple doing Eurovelo Six a fortnight ago. we shared the same camp sites on several occasions The vegan was having difficulty adhering to a vegan diet in Slovakia and Hungary and resorted to eating cheese to get some protein. She wasn't devastated by having to do so. Her husband was lactose intolerant and I used to wince seeing him eat dry muesli for breakfast.

atbman

Veteran
Robert MIllar, KoM TdF

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I read a book about the history of Lands End to John O Groats record attempts. Many of the early record holders were vegetarians.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
1988257 said:
IMAG0772.jpg

Not me
Someone throw a grenade in your fridge?

Saddle bum

Über Member
I'll eat anything that once had a pulse.

Veggie children should be taken into care as being potentially malnourished.

Sandra6

Veteran
I'll eat anything that once had a pulse.

Veggie children should be taken into care as being potentially malnourished.

Really?
Both my boys are veggie, by choice not through parental influence. Eldest is 18 and youngest is 14, and they haven't eaten any meat or related products (it is amazing how many things have pork and beef gelatin in) for about 3 years now.
As a family we have "meat free monday" and probably a third of our meals over a month are meat free.
I couldn't give it up completely though.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I would suggest (or at least hope) Saddle Bum was trolling there.

In answer to the question at the top, yes there are many vegetarian and vegan cyclists, including tour riders. THere is no reason why a vegetarian diet should be any better or worse than an omnivorous one.

I'm not a vegetarian but quite often go days without eating any meat. I've never had any personal political/ethical objections to animal farming though, probably because I happen to know many farmers in that business.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I grew up around farming and have no objection to eating animals, but was put off for nearly a year when I was at the Suffolk Show cooing over piglets while eating a roll from a hog roast, and a horrible connection was made in my head that took me a while to get through. Those nine months were the hungriest of my life!

Top Bottom