Vegetarians

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was veggie for about 6 months many years ago when I moved in with veggie girlfriend and her veggie family. She was fit so it seemed worth it at the time. Lentil roast brings such happy memories to mind.

Now some 30 years later have a veggie daughter so we often have veggie meals. Only thing I cannot stand is quorn mince; just had a really odd aftertaste but this is overcome with a pint of HSB so i live with that too.

I think bacon would be the deal breaker for me.

seashaker

Could never be a veggie, like meat too much! Don't have too much though as try to buy british free range and thats expensive so have more veggie bits n less meat. I don't understand vergetarians (unless its health related), Vegans I can deal with, brother in Law was a Vegan for a few years and did enjoy cooking for him and his misses but cannot understand the whole won't eat meat but will drink milk situation. The direct killing of thousands of bull calfs each year as a result of the milk industry kinda spoils the whole don't harm animals debate for me.

For the fitness aspect, bro in law does triathlons and started when a vegan, fair enough he doesn't have excess baggage to his person but he was very healthy and had lots of energy so if you eat the right things then can be fine.

Anywho thats my tuppence.

Drago

Legendary Member
Pulses, legumes, nuts, green vegetables, some grains. Eggs, cheese and milk. Tempeh and quinoa if you want to annoy Linf. Lack of protein really isn't any kind of problem in the Western diet. Most people are getting far more of it than they need.
Cheers. I could do with improving my diet while keeping the protein levels high. Downside is I'm dangerously alergic to nuts, though fine with peanuts, which aren't actually nuts but are legumes...I think...?

Ajay

Veteran
Bacon has a face?
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjN1OnGNJe6MfBEWFRawA6ZRSOa8LXTg7QNopSwMX7bNyQowIaqA.jpg

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Cheers. I could do with improving my diet while keeping the protein levels high. Downside is I'm dangerously alergic to nuts, though fine with peanuts, which aren't actually nuts but are legumes...I think...?

I believe so. I must add that I know nothing about powerlifting - I was speaking in general terms when I said most people get more than enough protein.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Could never be a veggie, like meat too much! Don't have too much though as try to buy british free range and thats expensive so have more veggie bits n less meat. I don't understand vergetarians (unless its health related), Vegans I can deal with, brother in Law was a Vegan for a few years and did enjoy cooking for him and his misses but cannot understand the whole won't eat meat but will drink milk situation. The direct killing of thousands of bull calfs each year as a result of the milk industry kinda spoils the whole don't harm animals debate for me.

For the fitness aspect, bro in law does triathlons and started when a vegan, fair enough he doesn't have excess baggage to his person but he was very healthy and had lots of energy so if you eat the right things then can be fine.

Anywho thats my tuppence.

People are vegetarian for lots of different reasons... most just don't like the taste, texture, etc... some stop after a bout of food poisoning... it's not always some happy clappy 'i'm an animal lover' point of view.

IMO... people should be free to eat what they want without criticism.

I'll eat pretty much whatever is put in front of me... but I draw the line at foie gras and veal.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Foie Gras I agree with you but not veal. True the old version was a food produced through shocking animal treatment, but modern rose veal is actually a completely different thing.

The veal currently produced in the UK is actually male dairy calves that otherwise are shot immediately after birth. Compassion in World Farming actually promote veal (to UK standards) as part of their 'Calf life - wanted not wasted' campaign.

http://www.ciwf.org.uk/farm_animals/cows/veal_calves/default.aspx?gclid=CJzHw4nM87ECFUQOfAodzFkALw

Arch

Married to Night Train
Nothing against veggies personally:whistle: , only, when attending a dinner party I wish they'd let you bleeding know first !

My Godmother came to stay for a long weekend, and only announced her new vegetarianism on arrival... We were the sort of family who planned meals carefully to use up what we had, and all the weekend had revolved around a roast chicken and its leftovers....

I'm not veggie, but thinking I might take to abandoning meat during the week, since NT's parents feed me plenty of meat at the weekends!

Top Bottom