Vegetarians

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I dare say they wouldn't be bred in the first place, so they'd be less likely to be toast.

Puns, I likes them.

Each to their own. What works for you etc. I'm most impressed by Scott User10571 who's a vegan but that's a tangent. If by green meat eaters you mean pastured high welfare meat then that's me. It's a choice based on the difference in the quality of meat. Not for this thread though. I'd agree if you mean it was to claim for the welfare of the animal. If that was the main concern then I wouldn't be eating it!

Drago

Legendary Member
Im a Meatatarian, but I've no issues with veggies. In truth I'm a terrible eater and should eat more veg. It's only large amounts of violent exercise that keep me trim. And jogging with a sausage suspended in a stick in front of my face!

Saddle bum

Über Member
I would suggest (or at least hope) Saddle Bum was trolling there.

In answer to the question at the top, yes there are many vegetarian and vegan cyclists, including tour riders. THere is no reason why a vegetarian diet should be any better or worse than an omnivorous one.

I'm not a vegetarian but quite often go days without eating any meat. I've never had any personal political/ethical objections to animal farming though, probably because I happen to know many farmers in that business.

There is no need to be provocative by suggest I was trolling.

We start from the basis that Homo Sapiens is omnivorous. Man is a herbivore mainly when game has disappeared due to drought or other abnormal events.

If individuals freely wish to give up meat, that is their choice. Depriving children of a major set of nutrients is neglect, especially as the N European/Anglo Saxon diet has always had a meat component, even during Medieval times. I heed the advice not to eat meat to excess - I shoot much of what I consume in the form of game and pigeon. I eat meat moderately, but consider it essential for a balanced diet.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
'Depriving' is strong word for something that is not substantiated. There is no deficiency in a well balanced vegetarian diet, whether that person is a child, adult or indeed elite athlete. Just because nutrients come from different sources does not mean they're not there.

Where I thought you were trolling was the comment about taking vegetarian's kids into care, which seemed nothing more than a deliberate wind up. Maybe you do actually believe that, but if so I would ask if you also believe that anyone who's child is overweight should also have their kids removed as poor diet, whether or not it contains meat, is a real rather than perceived health issue.

byegad

Legendary Member
I love most vegetarian food but with a bad reaction to most mushrooms I'd probably starve in most vegetarian restaurants.

I know a few Veggie Cyclists and they do well, but it's not for me. I do love meat, so a steak, if good and rare, or a salad are equally welcome on my plate.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
We've started to use quorn now as it's comparable in price to meat, compared to when it first came out when it was twice as much. We'll still have a beef joint, chicken or pork on Sunday, and i'll still have my bacon and eggs on Sunday but we've stopped buying that horrible so called lean mince from the supermarkets. God it's like chewing someone's cartilidge or similar!:ohmy:
I think that meat is way overpriced and way under quality compared to a few years ago. I also have issues regarding animal cruelty in slaughterhouses, especially with this halal being forced upon us without knowledge or consent!:dry:

Crankarm

Guru
We've started to use quorn now as it's comparable in price to meat, compared to when it first came out when it was twice as much. We'll still have a beef joint, chicken or pork on Sunday, and i'll still have my bacon and eggs on Sunday but we've stopped buying that horrible so called lean mince from the supermarkets. God it's like chewing someone's cartilidge or similar!:ohmy:
I think that meat is way overpriced and way under quality compared to a few years ago. I also have issues regarding animal cruelty in slaughterhouses, especially with this halal being forced upon us without knowledge or consent!:dry:

Tasteless awful stuff. I ate it a few times when I was veggie.

Being veggie and seriously sporting is incompatible IMHO. It didn't work for me. 11 years it took for me to see the light. I think how much better all those years could have been, but hey ho. You makes your choices and pays your money.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I tried it for a few weeks but found that the food was just bland and boring. I probably didn't try hard enough, it's true, but I often found the veggie option in a lot of places was just horrific, sorry.
I eventually gave in and had a salmon sandwich. :laugh:

.....Then my gut stopped working properly, but I don't think there was any coincidence.

I might try it again in the future, but ONLY if I can find more intresting things to eat!

Drago

Legendary Member
Genuine question - not knocking anyone, I'm genuinely curious, and also not the worlds best educated when it comes to nutirition!

Being a powerlifter I'm into me protein etc. Where do vegetarians get protein from, especially athletes etc?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Genuine question - not knocking anyone, I'm genuinely curious, and also not the worlds best educated when it comes to nutirition!

Being a powerlifter I'm into me protein etc. Where do vegetarians get protein from, especially athletes etc?

Pulses, legumes, nuts, green vegetables, some grains. Eggs, cheese and milk. Tempeh and quinoa if you want to annoy Linf. Lack of protein really isn't any kind of problem in the Western diet. Most people are getting far more of it than they need.

Top Bottom