Vehicles tooting just before passing a cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I hate it. No matter how friendly the tone of the toot, it seems assertive if not aggressive.

I only use my bell on bicycle** paths when I require action from pedestrians. If I am able to pass them with a wide berth, then I will do so without disturbing them, or maybe a nod or a "good morning" if that seems appropriate. I use the bell to warn them that I will be passing close enough to possibly startle them or to ask them to move out of the way so there is room to pass.

If a car or motorcycle toots their horn before passing, then I assume it's because of a close pass or to ask me to move out of the way. Either way it's annoying. Don't close pass me, ever. And I can hear you, you have an engine. I will move out of your way when I deem it is safe to do.

From a sidetrack in another thread

**I have a bell on one bicycle. I have been known to say "ting ting" on the others, as pedestrians seem prefer a bell.

I thought bells on cycle had been outlawed, cyclists on the towpath of the Kennet seem to delight in waking me from my early morning reveries by hurtling past me , no bells on bikes here, [well, mine has]

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Daftest thing I witnessed was a bell end ringing his bell to warn a horse (and rider ) he was behind them.

It really does depend on the circumstances. I'd never appreciate a toot on a horn from close behind, but I certainly do on a single track road from a good distance back. Whilst I do check behind fairly often, and whilst I can often hear approaching vehicles, wind noise can certainly obscure them and being warned that there is someone there is potentially useful. It's one of those relatively rare, perfectly valid uses of the horn (as per the Highway Code I mean) in that it simply says 'I am here' and is thus providing information, not instruction or reprimand.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I use the bell to warn them that I will be passing close enough to possibly startle them or to ask them to move out of the way so there is room to pass.
Apply the same principles to bikes and motorists IMO: yes to warning that a pass will be safe but possibly surprising (especially if a startled walker may hurt themselves by falling into a canal or live carriageway), or to let them know that you're there rather than sneaking up behind them and joining in their conversation by speaking, but it should absolutely not be a "get aaaht of moi way".

If you rode up here with the wind noise we often get then a toot on the horn is well received, not I hasten to add when they are 2 feet from your back wheel though.
The wind ain't noisy enough to hide a car for long until it's strong enough to make it difficult to ride a bike. If you think it is, maybe you have noise generators in front of your ears and should consider Cat-Ears or similar products (or not having the noise generators). Oh and looking behind one occasionally is a good idea anyway - electric cars, faster cyclists, ...

screenman

Legendary Member
Apply the same principles to bikes and motorists IMO: yes to warning that a pass will be safe but possibly surprising (especially if a startled walker may hurt themselves by falling into a canal or live carriageway), or to let them know that you're there rather than sneaking up behind them and joining in their conversation by speaking, but it should absolutely not be a "get aaaht of moi way".

The wind ain't noisy enough to hide a car for long until it's strong enough to make it difficult to ride a bike. If you think it is, maybe you have noise generators in front of your ears and should consider Cat-Ears or similar products (or not having the noise generators). Oh and looking behind one occasionally is a good idea anyway - electric cars, faster cyclists, ...

Do you actually ride a bike?

Daftest thing I witnessed was a bell end ringing his bell to warn a horse (and rider ) he was behind them.

I can top that.
In a 8ft wide lane an idiot car driver frantically pressing his horn button with an escaped herd of cows browsing on the banks.

Further down same lane another sounding his horn at two swans and 12 cygnets sitting in the road.

Best of all is an HGV unloading at my place in same lane, I can swear better than swans and cows.

I wish more bikes used mirrors, they are not that heavy.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I wish more bikes used mirrors, they are not that heavy.
Most bike mirrors aren't that useful either, never quite catching the right thing in a steady image at the right time.

On shared paths I slow until the other folk hear me or i say rider coming through. I then always thank them and get a 'no problem' back.

I should correct myself: the reason I got a bell was to ring when pedestrians were moving towards the roadway without casting a glance in my direction. A ting on a bell alerts them to my presence without "accusing" them of being about to step on to the road which vocal call would do - because most of them aren't about to step out, of course.

On shared paths I also prefer to talk, but in contrast to you, I often find other path users asking "don't you have a bell?" London I guess. No eye contact and no conversation.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ah no probs. No issue with conversation here. Even had to chat to the collie that was herding me last night as every time I set off he'd dive in front of my wheel. His owners were calling him but he had other ideas.

I'm OK with non-aggresive toots that are meant to alert me to the presence of a car approaching from behind. I don't get many and can't remember being brassed of by any. The only times I toot myself when driving is when its a bunch of kids that are all over the place.

Regarding bells, I do use one to alert pedestrians I'm approaching from behind, however slowly, and then speak once they now I'm there. I ring from well back. The main reason for using a bell is I find it the best way to avoid startling them.

Reactions: mjr
I have just found that what this pillock shouted out was "get out the farking way" which he is using as a defence of some kind.
In future I will desist from tooting and shout that instead.

Top Bottom