Vehicles tooting just before passing a cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
on a single track road from a good distance back.
Yes, this. ^^^

I always take the toot as "I'm going to need action from you to continue my journey". And on a nice wide B-road, then no you don't. Just wait until traffic clears in the other direction and pass me safely. But on a single track, I agree it's fair use, because my action is required. It's good to have a lot of warning so I can carefully move into a passing place (which are always full of crap and potholes)

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's really a very difficult situation, since the meaning of any audible warning seems to have largely morphed in the common psyche from the 1960s "Be aware, I'm here" meaning, to the 2010s meaning of "F@cking move!" or "I don't like your driving", or similar.

On the bike I used to ping my bell (one ping only!) to warn people on pathways that I was approaching... until one too many people turned round, gave me a hurt look and told me to F off, mistaking it for agression, or a request for them to move. So I don't much use a bell now, preferring to just go dead slow, and perhaps whistle a merry tune.

And now thanks to modern use of the horn I seem to have become that offended person on the road... I was out riding in a group on Sunday and a car approached from behind on a quiet, narrow road... I was tail end charlie, and this car gave a good loud blast on the horn. I turned round with that offended look on my face and mouthed "WHAT?" at the driver, expecting it to be the usual gesticulating, impatient and brain dead Transit driver. Except for the first time in a long time, it was a little old lady who was only warning us of her presence.
:sad:

If only there was some kind of written guide to the meanings of horns, flashing lights etc, that everyone could agree to recognise. Some kind of a code, if you like.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I hate it. No matter how friendly the tone of the toot, it seems assertive if not aggressive.

I only use my bell on bicycle** paths when I require action from pedestrians. If I am able to pass them with a wide berth, then I will do so without disturbing them, or maybe a nod or a "good morning" if that seems appropriate. I use the bell to warn them that I will be passing close enough to possibly startle them or to ask them to move out of the way so there is room to pass.

If a car or motorcycle toots their horn before passing, then I assume it's because of a close pass or to ask me to move out of the way. Either way it's annoying. Don't close pass me, ever. And I can hear you, you have an engine. I will move out of your way when I deem it is safe to do.

From a sidetrack in another thread

**I have a bell on one bicycle. I have been known to say "ting ting" on the others, as pedestrians seem prefer a bell.
I'm with you on this one, farking hate it. In fact people who know me and have 'tooted' when they saw me have been dismayed to get a single digit 'salute' in reply. :laugh:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
There is a distinct difference between an aggressive blast and a friendly toot. On single track roads I generally give a gentle toot as a thank you for letting me past. I have never noticed nor would I expect any adverse reaction to this. When cycling I have no objection to this behaviour. Lighten up, not all drivers are aggressive morons and in fact most are just ordinary reasonable people. Aggressive reaction to a friendly gesture simply generates dislike.

Dan B

Disengaged member
There is a distinct difference between an aggressive blast and a friendly toot.
Unless your horn has a volume control, no there isn't. There is more aggressive and less aggressive, but 109dB is basically Too Loud for anyone who is nearby and not inside a steel-and-glass shell.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A semi-quaver or two can be a friendly toot but a minim is clearly agressive - or urgent warning of danger

gaijintendo

Veteran
I wouldn't mind an "I'm here" toot, but I invariably get a double-I'm-about-to-do-something-reckless-toot. Usually someone about to overtake on a particular slip road into traffic.

Daftest thing I witnessed was a bell end ringing his bell to warn a horse (and rider ) he was behind them.
Possibly not - a rider I met told me she'd trained her horse to recognise bells.

Daft me - I didn't ask the obvious follow-up. So I've no idea what the horse was trained to do when it heard a bell ... duuuh! And I've no idea how common that might be ... any horse riders among us?

Top Bottom