1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Velo South - West Sussex 23/09/2018 (Closed Road 100)

Discussion in 'Sportives' started by kingrollo, 9 Feb 2018.

Tags:
  1. kingrollo

kingrollo Über Member

"Taking place on Sunday September 23rd 2018, Vélo South is a major new 100 mile fully closed road sportive for the UK.

Starting and finishing on the iconic Goodwood Motor Racing Circuit, the route will take 15,000 riders on a truly unforgettable journey through the stunning West Sussex countryside and the magnificent rolling hills of the South Downs."

I did Velo Birmingham last year, which was a totally amazing day. The cost of the above event won't leave much change out of £100 - However if your local to this area I wouldn't miss this whatever the cost.

Dogtrousers likes this.
  2. PaulSB

PaulSB Guru

Just had the email for this event so I have pre-registered.

+/- £100 is mentioned above. Is this the suggested entry fee or an estimate of total cost including travel to the event etc.?

3. OP
    OP
    kingrollo

kingrollo Über Member

Well Velo birmingham was £75 entrance fee and sold out within 48 hours - so i would guess its just the entrance fee.

4. PaulSB

PaulSB Guru

Thanks. Big price but having a very small involvement in a local Elite Series race I’m well aware of the policing costs for a rolling road closure.

5. It’s a good route.

6. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry non-contributing ex-member

Do it while you can. I'll wager it won't get run a second time. We hate cyclists in West Sussex. And we hate road closures even more.

7. OP
    OP
    kingrollo

kingrollo Über Member

That was my approach to the Birmingham velo. I never expected a 2nd edition so made sure I did the first. ......Only problem it was so damn good !!!!

Actually if CSM hawk closed road velo's from location to location doing 1 year in each - to me it would be a matter of time - before a national ban (or legislation that takes the decision away from local councillors) is introduced.

Racing roadkill and GrumpyGregry like this.
  8. Mehhhhhhhhhhh

9. It’s happening as we speak. The first step is an attempt to ban cycles from DCs, that’s almost at the parliamentary stage already, it’s a short hop skip and a jump to banning large cycling events. I hate this country’s anti cycling sentiment.