Velo South - West Sussex 23/09/2018 (Closed Road 100)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I recon £85 entry fee.
I have registered not too sure if I can be bothered, it's right on my door step and i ride these roads a lot. Doing the ride 100 and was going to do the New Forest 100 sportive, which is the week before.
Interesting on how the road closures work out as it looks like the south coast is cut off for the day
I've ridden some of those roads occasionally, when holidaying in Pagham, so I'm really looking forward to riding them closed.

I'm toying with the idea of staying at Church Farm for the weekend, actually

Dec66

Priority entry was £69 (tenner off the usual price). Some admin fees get added on bringing it to £72-odd.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I recon £85 entry fee.
I have registered not too sure if I can be bothered, it's right on my door step and i ride these roads a lot. Doing the ride 100 and was going to do the New Forest 100 sportive, which is the week before.
Interesting on how the road closures work out as it looks like the south coast is cut off for the day

IMO they should just close all the roads in the uk for that day. Then there can be no arguments.

Dec66

Would others like to share the rider name they chose?

I picked "L'Escargot", as "Le Branleur" would have been one too many characters :rolleyes:

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Signed up for this - cost me £109 with parking.

Looking for cheap hotels now if anyone has any suggestions ?

Dec66

I mentioned above that I might consider a weekend at Church Farm in Pagham.

Prices seem to have risen since yesterday though... Now £183 for a standard caravan for that weekend. Still, they sleep 4, so £15 a night for three nights if you can find three mates to bunk with isn't too shabby.

The old school B&B at Westhampnett is lovely.

http://bed-and-breakfast-chichester.co.uk/

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I booked the comfort inn arundel for £107 - seems to avoid the road closures - its about 10 miles from goodwood.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The event is now open for general sale tickets, including those who didn't pre-register. General entry is £79, 'fast track' entry is £129. "An administration fee of 5.75% per entry fee & 3% for additional purchases (e.g. merchandise, car parking) will be added at checkout by our processing partner Active Network."

Interesting that it's not actually sold out already - they had 25,000 pre-registrations before the bike show, and presumably a good few more after that, but only 10,000 took up the option to buy tickets during the priority booking window.

The event is now open for general sale tickets, including those who didn't pre-register. General entry is £79, 'fast track' entry is £129. "An administration fee of 5.75% per entry fee & 3% for additional purchases (e.g. merchandise, car parking) will be added at checkout by our processing partner Active Network."

Interesting that it's not actually sold out already - they had 25,000 pre-registrations before the bike show, and presumably a good few more after that, but only 10,000 took up the option to buy tickets during the priority booking window.
Lots of people put off by the cost I’d imagine.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru

Almost the exact same take up as velo birmingham. Think they sold 11,000 places to pre registered folk. the rest went over the next week or so - it will sell out or pretty close to it IMO

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Lots of people put off by the cost I’d imagine.

I pre-registered but decided against it on cost. I love the idea of a 100 mile closed road event and if I lived locally I’d pay £79. However being in Lancashire I’d be looking at two nights accommodation £200+, two evening meals and fuel. This would very quickly add up to £500 for a bike ride. A group from my club have organised four nights in Mallorca for £370 including flights which puts UK costs in perspective.

Having said that I’m still hoping to get on PRL which will cost £300-400. The difference being PRL has something of an iconic status and it would be a great weekend away with friends.

I had four emails from the organisers in 48 hours, 3 on Thursday, and two from BC in the previous 24 hours. I thought this smacked of desperation. It probably isn’t but that’s the impression I was given - overselling can create a poor impression.

Top Bottom