Velo Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
50 mile trip this morning, and picked up one tile that had been eluding me. South of Kilmarnock, on the stretch between the prison and Crosshands, There’s only one road through it, and that’s the A76. Several times I’ve been down that way, stopped at the crossroads, thought “there’s a tile half a mile north of here”, but the traffic’s just been too crazy on the A76. One time it took me the best part of 5 mins just to cross over.

But today - Sunday morning, during lockdown - it was a lot quieter. Cars still doing silly speeds, but far fewer.

And I got lucky - a tractor pulling a trailer of cut grass pulled out in front of me, and trundled up the road at about 20mph. I sat behind it for a few minutes to get into the square, stopped, turned back, and got onto the quiet country roads again.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Three new tiles this morning to the north of me.

I need to get three tiles to the south of me. Unfortunately, they are on private land and the landowner is quite quick on his feet (according to a club mate who wanted the same three tiles), "Get off my land!" Which is fair enough as it is his land. And I'm sure he wouldn't take kindly to a polite request as it would no doubt encourage other tile-seekers.

Three new tiles this morning to the north of me.

I need to get three tiles to the south of me. Unfortunately, they are on private land and the landowner is quite quick on his feet (according to a club mate who wanted the same three tiles), "Get off my land!" Which is fair enough as it is his land. And I'm sure he wouldn't take kindly to a polite request as it would no doubt encourage other tile-seekers.

Are there no footpaths going through there?

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Are there no footpaths going through there?
And walk the bike through? I'm not sure if there are public footpaths through there. Just had a quick look on Google Street Maps and can't see signage - some of the entrances have PRIVATE, some have nothing, none have Public Footpath that I can see.

EDIT - looked at Map Data on Open Street Map and all access is marked as Private.

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
And walk the bike through? I'm not sure if there are public footpaths through there. Just had a quick look on Google Street Maps and can't see signage - some of the entrances have PRIVATE, some have nothing, none have Public Footpath that I can see.

If you look on veloviewer you can select OS mapping, that will show if there are any rights of way

Quite frustrating that! I think I'm lucky here that there a few truly difficult squares.

12 tiles got this morning, taking my max up to 19x19. One tile was a bit iffy to get which involved a private track and prying eyes but it appears to have been got so we’ll say no more about it eh?:whistle:

D

Deleted member 26715

Picked up 5 tiles today & went from a lowly 9x9 to a slightly less lowly 11x11 but there is one still eluding me, not sure how to get to it, the green road is a dual carriageway part of the A1 I really don't fancy riding on it, I suppose the only way is up the farm lane then plead ignorance if get stopped, but I'm not keen on doing that.

Top Bottom