Velo Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
Got to say I'm a big fan of VeloViewer as well - far better value than going Premium on Strava. Not going to post my yearly stats infographic yet as I've hopefully got at least one more ride in 2016 in me.

I've got to admit though I've been a little addicted about increasing my Explorer Max Square score over the past 12 months. Yesterday's ride got me up to 13x13 and I'm just one empty square away from getting to 18x18. Trouble is, that square has no roads or footpaths at all in it, so it'll have to be a cross country style run if I'm to get it, so I don't see that happening for a good few months yet.

Tom B

Guru
Not going to post my yearly stats infographic yet as I've hopefully got at least one more ride in 2016 in me.

Ditto

I've got to admit though I've been a little addicted about increasing my Explorer Max Square score over the past 12 months. Yesterday's ride got me up to 13x13 and I'm just one empty square away from getting to 18x18. Trouble is, that square has no roads or footpaths at all in it, so it'll have to be a cross country style run if I'm to get it, so I don't see that happening for a good few months yet.

Why did you have to tell me about that! sounds like my kinda thing!

I can see the explorer score on my summery page

upload_2016-12-30_12-14-47.png

But how to get to view more in depth such as missing tiles etc? I have a Pro subscription.

steverob

Guru
Go into the Activities page and switch on the Map button at top right. Underneath the map will be a tickbox to turn on the Explorer viewer; this will show you all the squares you've already crossed, plus highlighted in blue will be your current max square(s) so you can easily see what you need to cross to improve your score.

Just a warning though - once you start down this path, you'll spend the next few months obsessing over that one square that you can't find any way of getting to on your bike!

Tom B

Guru
I don't know where it got the running data from, I couldn't run a bath !!

One of your activities will be incorrectly classified. Just check for runs, edit and reclassify.

On my vv they show on the top right on the summery page.

Last edited:

Tom B

Guru
Go into the Activities page..................

Just a warning though - once you start down this path, you'll spend the next few months obsessing over that one square that you can't find any way of getting to on your bike!

Cheers I'll give it a go on the proper computer.

Apparently according to the vv guy it is to encourage us to try other modes such a kayak...

Ian193

Über Member
Is it worth paying £10 a year for veloviewer

Tom B

Guru
Go into the Activities page and switch on the Map button at top right. Underneath the map will be a tickbox to turn on the Explorer viewer; this will show you all the squares you've already crossed, plus highlighted in blue will be your current max square(s) so you can easily see what you need to cross to improve your score.

upload_2016-12-31_12-24-0.png

Genius.. This needs a VV tab of its own and probably a CC thread!

Am I correct in thinking that if I manage to do a ride into Square marked 1 in green ill get my 9x9?

Then if I do Squares 2 - 7 ill get my 10x10 - looks like the MTB is going to be getting dusted off!?

Tom B

Guru
Is it worth paying £10 a year for veloviewer

I suppose it depends on you, how geeky you are and how attached to your tenner you are.

I'm pretty parsimonious, but I'm also pretty geeky so I love it and think it is great value - though it does take some getting used to and I am not sure I understand all the features!

Have you tried the free version first?

steverob

Guru
Genius.. This needs a VV tab of its own and probably a CC thread!

Am I correct in thinking that if I manage to do a ride into Square marked 1 in green ill get my 9x9?

Then if I do Squares 2 - 7 ill get my 10x10 - looks like the MTB is going to be getting dusted off!?

That's exactly right. Take a look at my map if you want to see the lengths that I've gone to in order to get to 13x13 - if you look carefully, you can see below all the roads I've been on that seem to be dead ends where I've just turned back as soon as I've got across the border to the next square. Most of these were single track farm "roads" that were really just giant potholes joined up by small amounts of bumpy tarmac or rough concrete. Not really suitable for a road bike, but couldn't find anyone who'd loan me an MTB!

upload_2016-12-31_17-27-24.png

And the cell highlighted in yellow is my nemesis - considering it's only two squares away from where I live, it's almost impossible to find a route to cross it as most of the land is a private solar farm guarded by tall fences. There's supposed to be a footpath across it, but when I looked once, I couldn't see how to access it when at ground level. The cell to its right and the one above that were also very difficult but I just literally crept far enough over the line to get them (though had to walk my bike both times!)

Top Bottom