Velobici Modernist Ride Cap - HOW MUCH?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Each to their own and all that but the British brand Velobici seems to be extracting the urine a little with the pricing of it's 'Modernist' kit.

Now we all might want to wear super expensive kit designed by a photographer who seems to model himself on Bradley Wiggins but I was staggered that they are charging £35 for a cycling cap.

Other items in the range:

Jersey - £185
Bibs - £190
Or both for a reasonable £330

Now I know us cyclist are easily parted with our money but that's a lorra lorra money.

Each to their own and all that but the British brand Velobici seems to be extracting the urine a little with the pricing of it's 'Modernist' kit.

Now we all might want to wear super expensive kit designed by a photographer who seems to model himself on Bradley Wiggins but I was staggered that they are charging £35 for a cycling cap.

Other items in the range:

Jersey - £185
Bibs - £190
Or both for a reasonable £330

Now I know us cyclist are easily parted with our money but that's a lorra lorra money.
Lorra lorra money for you but potentially not for someone else.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well if the kit was cheap, people wouldn't think it was any good!

I'll never forget the story of the super groupset that Suntour developed for pro riders. They priced it too cheap, the teams thought it couldn't be any good and it bombed, almost bankrupting Suntour, who now make cheapo bits and pieces rather then good bike equipment.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I was blissfully unaware of the brand until 10 minutes ago and TBH will be equally unaware in a further 10 minutes. Why are you so angry about the price they are charging? If it is a desirable product (I guess you want some, hence the thread) then they can charge what they want and the people that want it enough will pay the price.
Some items are desirable purely for the ownership experience rather than what they actually do and this is true of many things. Many people would like an Aston Martin but could never hope to afford one. Should Aston Martin sell their cars for the same price as a Kia because people are annoyed by the 'ridiculous' cost of the Aston Martin?
If you are suffering inner turmoil because you want something that you cannot afford or are not prepared to pay for then perhaps you need to reassess your priorities?

Tim Hall

The cap looks quite nice.
The shots of the models in bib shorts need the lighting sorted out, to get rid of the shadows.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Ha, and I remember buying a Rapha cycling cap for £15 and thought they were taking the p***, which they were, but... £35 for a cap!! I'd want one signed by Eddy Merckx that he wore for a TDF win for that.

I've never heard of them, no heritage, racing pedigree or anything, but more importantly its all really rather dull and uninspiring looking kit, Do not want.

£170 for a jersey is about £100 more than I've ever paid, but if someone insisted I get a jersey for that money, I'd get this, even though it too is overpriced, and second hand, but its so much nicer than anything Velobici offer
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIRT-BI...340152?hash=item4b3ce752b8:g:ToQAAOSwLx5aqTRU

OP
OP
Joffey

Joffey

Big Dosser
I was blissfully unaware of the brand until 10 minutes ago and TBH will be equally unaware in a further 10 minutes. Why are you so angry about the price they are charging? If it is a desirable product (I guess you want some, hence the thread) then they can charge what they want and the people that want it enough will pay the price.
Some items are desirable purely for the ownership experience rather than what they actually do and this is true of many things. Many people would like an Aston Martin but could never hope to afford one. Should Aston Martin sell their cars for the same price as a Kia because people are annoyed by the 'ridiculous' cost of the Aston Martin?
If you are suffering inner turmoil because you want something that you cannot afford or are not prepared to pay for then perhaps you need to reassess your priorities?

I'm not upset, just think that £35 for a cap is quite a lot when it appears to offer no performance benefits compared to other cheaper products. And if I wanted it I could afford it, all of it in fact, but there is a difference between cost and value. These products appear to be high cost and low value.

I'm not upset, just think that £35 for a cap is quite a lot when it appears to offer no performance benefits compared to other cheaper products. And if I wanted it I could afford it, all of it in fact, but there is a difference between cost and value. These products appear to be high cost and low value.
Indeed. But as I am sure you know, people value things differently and some will place a different value on these items to you. That is who this is aimed at.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Compare the prices with those of Lusso clothing, which is made in Radcliffe, Manchester by a small group of women in a ropey factory unit, owned by a man with very modest aspirations (as far as I can see) as a measure of how expensive British-made kit should be.

Lusso's caps, for example, are £10.99 each.

Top Bottom