VelocityLight - the bike light that shows your speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
why?

They're a known entity in a totally different context which could easily be misinterpreted or used as a defence in court & in exactly the same way we've had threads on here about triggering those things and using them as to set new personal bests, do you honestly think nobody would play silly buggers with someone with one on their bike?
The only similarity is that they show speed and the numbers are red.

Have you ever seen one down low, on the road and wiggling around?

That's like saying traffic lights are red, brake lights are red. oh the confusion.

400bhp

Guru
pointless.

Oh look a cyclist doing 15 mph.

And?...............

euan

Hi, Im one of the team that made it. Thanks for all the positive comments !! To try and answer some of your questions, you can see the numbers clearly at 40m in the dark at the lowest light settings giving a driver travelling at 30mph twice the recommended stopping distance. As was pointed out the film cant really capture how effective it is. For us its really quite fun riding using one and having someone ride in front with one. Tends to make you push a wee bit harder. My strava commutes seem to get faster when i've been testing it. I like the big/small comment, we thought that might be a real issue at the planning stage It is actually a lot lighter than it looks and is rather sleek on the bike.

Re production plans just ask and ill try and respond promptly. Three of the team have worked in electronics manufacturing so we are reasonably well placed to get a really professional product out.

Essentially as a group of cyclists of all sorts of abilities and styles we thought it would be a cool light which would promote safety and be fun to use,

Cheers
Euan

Last edited by a moderator:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
The only similarity is that they show speed and the numbers are red.

Have you ever seen one down low, on the road and wiggling around?

That's like saying traffic lights are red, brake lights are red. oh the confusion.

No it isn't, for a start they're both long established and clearly defined entities in their own right and both operate in a very different manner from one another, Brake lights are only red and on or off they also usually come in closely bunched twos or threes, traffic lights even at a distance where they could look close enough to be mistaken for brakes are solidly on for longer than hitting the brakes and then change to a couple of different colours and combinations, the similarities are non existent.

as for low down and wiggling about (hardly that much & covered by far away minor road variations of the viewing vehicle also) I clearly said they would be misconstrued by context and conditioned expectation. I refer you to Father Ted.

It would need and expensive and extensive campaign of re-education and awareness for other road users that they can't simply continue to expect something already uniquely & firmly established, familar to them in its own context (showing their speed on a roadside post) suddenly presented in an entirely different manner with a soft squidgy thing added into the equation or like it ot not it could easily be misinterpreted with a very dangerous consequence to the squidgy.

I'm not knocking it as an idea totally but I'll let others firmly establish the concept in drivers minds before I take my chances on them knowing the difference instinctively. TBH though I think its in the same ballpark as bike indicators or the little lasers that deleneate a safe zone on the road around your bike - both that are already to market. I bet only a handful of people on here have ever seen them used to good effect for real and if so probably on the same person or two over and over again? I've certainly never seen either on any bike in Manchester.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It would need and expensive and extensive campaign of re-education and awareness for other road users that they can't simply continue to expect something already uniquely & firmly established, familar to them in its own context (showing their speed on a roadside post) suddenly presented in an entirely different manner with a soft squidgy thing added into the equation or like it ot not it could easily be misinterpreted with a very dangerous consequence to the squidgy.
Like I said, that's a bit far fetched. We don't get re-educated or educated when something new comes into existence on the road.

No it isn't, for a start they're both long established and clearly defined entities in their own right and both operate in a very different manner from one another, Brake lights are only red and on or off they also usually come in closely bunched twos or threes, traffic lights even at a distance where they could look close enough to be mistaken for brakes are solidly on for longer than hitting the brakes and then change to a couple of different colours and combinations, the similarities are non existent.
Just because they both show numbers and both are red, doesn't mean that people are going to think they are the same thing. One is static, high up and off the road. The other is low down, moving and on the road.

You're right, in the perfect world we would have re-education for such things being added onto the road network. But we don't have that for anything. Add a new sign, re-educate all the drivers. That's being unrealistic to the system that we live in.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
More Kickstarter junk!

PS. I don't know whether anyone has remarked on this but... how is the driver supposed to know what the number is? It could be anything! Additionally, I wouldn't trust anyone elses "speedo" when making a decision.

Onyer

Hi, Im one of the team that made it. Thanks for all the positive comments !! To try and answer some of your questions, you can see the numbers clearly at 40m in the dark at the lowest light settings giving a driver travelling at 30mph twice the recommended stopping distance. As was pointed out the film cant really capture how effective it is. For us its really quite fun riding using one and having someone ride in front with one. Tends to make you push a wee bit harder. My strava commutes seem to get faster when i've been testing it. I like the big/small comment, we thought that might be a real issue at the planning stage It is actually a lot lighter than it looks and is rather sleek on the bike.

Re production plans just ask and ill try and respond promptly. Three of the team have worked in electronics manufacturing so we are reasonably well placed to get a really professional product out.

Essentially as a group of cyclists of all sorts of abilities and styles we thought it would be a cool light which would promote safety and be fun to use,

Cheers
Euan
Well done Euan on having an idea and pursuing it. Whether it will take off is up to the market place, but I hope that you raise enough to start the production. I hope that you have patent protection worldwide? Otherwise the chinese will copy your idea. Good luck to you and your team.

Top Bottom