VelocityLight - the bike light that shows your speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
"A number is a meaningful symbol that has to be processed, registered and stored in semantic memory."

Otherwise known as a "distraction".

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I want one! When you scalp people they'll either think 'fair play' or 'scalped at 20mph!? I should up my game!'
Scalped at 20mph? You must know the CS7 is more competitive than that. I'm scalping people up balham hill at more than 25 :P

I got scalped along clapham common when I was doing 28mph by a guy on a TT bike doing at least 10mph faster.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
am I missing an obvious thing here? Whenever I'm driving and see a speed LED light number ahead of me, it relates to my car, not the speed of the host object, which us invariably a post on the pavement.

Without a huge re-education program I fear many would see a red LED 15 ahead, assume it is a faulty roadside sign quite a distance away and be even less switched on to the fact there is someone on a bike directly there in front of them.

If people did pick up on it tho, I fear there may be a minority that would either sit an inch off your wheel to test its calibration against their speedo or have a lovely little game of how fast can we force the cyclist up to, with a big red heads up display to tell them.

thefollen

Veteran
Scalped at 20mph? You must know the CS7 is more competitive than that. I'm scalping people up balham hill at more than 25 :P

I got scalped along clapham common when I was doing 28mph by a guy on a TT bike doing at least 10mph faster.

Balham Hill is a good one, unless the busses/lights break the momentum! Waterloo Bridge southbound and the Millbank/Grosvenor road combo stretches are favourites of mine. Usually fare quite well but like you say, if you encounter an aero'd tri bike there's no way you're catching them!

The light would be great as well if it had a setting to activate a proximity beeper that detects wheel suckers (or anything else) on your tail. Blip........blip.....blip...blip..blip.blipblipblipblipblip

Reactions: gaz
D

Deleted member 23692

Due to the amount of LEDs lit, you're approx 3 times more visible when stopped than when you're doing 11mph.

Can't see any value in this TBH

Reactions: gaz

Linford

Don't see the point. If a car is pasing at a much faster rate, they need to know how much room they need to give me, and not how fast I'm going.

I've had a line of cars overtaking me on solid white lines when I've been cycling downhill at nearly 50mph.....in a 50mph limit ....they just have to get past at any cost.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Don't see the point. If a car is pasing at a much faster rate, they need to know how much room they need to give me, and not how fast I'm going.

I've had a line of cars overtaking me on solid white lines when I've been cycling downhill at nearly 50mph.....in a 50mph limit ....they just have to get past at any cost.
Perhaps there isn't much point in your situation. But I can see it being useful in a busy city/town where the traffic is often moving slower than 30mph. They will see cyclists ahead of them who are doing 20mph and will overtake even if it only gains them 10m. They may in this case see that the cyclists are in fact travelling at a reasonable speed and not overtake.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
am I missing an obvious thing here? Whenever I'm driving and see a speed LED light number ahead of me, it relates to my car, not the speed of the host object, which us invariably a post on the pavement.

Without a huge re-education program I fear many would see a red LED 15 ahead, assume it is a faulty roadside sign quite a distance away and be even less switched on to the fact there is someone on a bike directly there in front of them.

If people did pick up on it tho, I fear there may be a minority that would either sit an inch off your wheel to test its calibration against their speedo or have a lovely little game of how fast can we force the cyclist up to, with a big red heads up display to tell them.
Oh come on, that's being a bit silly.

albion

Guru
There is one obvious flaw.

The small size of it may mean the driver will get distracted squinting to see what it says thus rear ending the bike.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Oh come on, that's being a bit silly.
why?

They're a known entity in a totally different context which could easily be misinterpreted or used as a defence in court & in exactly the same way we've had threads on here about triggering those things and using them as to set new personal bests, do you honestly think nobody would play silly buggers with someone with one on their bike?

Top Bottom