Wales : South Glamorgan Velothon Wales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wightdragon

I
God forbid the extra money 15,000 participants along with volunteers, pro teams, staff etc. are going to bring into the community :rolleyes:
I live on the Isle of Wight and we have the festival this weekend. It's disruptive but so what.70,000 people come here and have fun, spend money and hopefully come back for holidays. It's half our population visiting for the weekend. There are always moaners, who are always in the minority. I'm sure most of Gwent will be happy to see us, ignore the noisy ones and if they are out protesting give them a smile and a wave!

Nig mtb

Über Member
Mudguards and or overshoes then.
Yes fitted mine last night and bringing my winter gear

sleaver

Veteran
The temperature reported and then not forgetting wind and possible rain, that is verging on full winter woollys for me :blush:

If I was at home, I could just go out, see what it is like for a couple of hundred meters and quickly put something else on if needed.

I don't really want to have to take a soft shell jacket and if I did and wore it, I would probably pay the price later on if it warms up.

RideLondon last year, I wore summer cloths but with arm warmers and "boil in the bag" jacket with no leg warmers. Except for a couple of times, I was fine as it was also warm considering the amount of rain.

Decisions decisions.

sleaver

Veteran
Skull cap under helmet or cycling hat (with brim) under helmet?

Thoughts?
You left off "Or Rule 5" ^_^

Not that I can talk :whistle:

If it was me, it would be simple as I only have one out of the two. Thinking back to RideLondon, if you want it to stop rain, the brim will stop what is coming from the sky, but it won't stop the crud coming off the road or what is being thrown in your face from the wheel in front. :smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My plan
Mudguards ... natch. (I never realised it was possible for a bike to work without them ;)
Footwear: Usual shoes and wet feet probably. But I'll take my winter boots with me in case it looks really bad. Decide on the day.
Gear: Shorts & SS jersey. Probably also little tiny foldaway Decathlon waterproof, but I'll take my proper Goretex jacket too and decide on the day. Fingerless mitts.
Nosh: Fig rolls and pork pies. I'll be taking a reduced toolkit so there will be space in my wedge bag for some extra nosh.

I'm also going to tape this to my handlebars somewhere. It's a table of how far the broom wagon will be at different times, to enable me to figure out how much lead (if any) we have:

Time km
09:20 0
09:30 3.2
10:00 12.7
10:30 22.2
11:00 31.7
11:30 41.2
12:00 50.7
12:30 60.2
13:00 69.7
13:30 79.2
14:00 88.7
14:30 98.2
15:00 107.7
15:30 117.2
16:00 126.7
16:30 136.2

sleaver

Veteran
Just to check, do we need to take anything, such as a copy of the email, apart from ID to collect our numbers?

sleaver

Veteran
This just made my day, someone on Facebook is meaning that they can't get to the golf course!

Egging has also apparently been talked about. Wonder if we can put in a request for boiled or scrambled ^_^

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well if is the same reliability as the forecast for last night you might be alright. I went to bed expecting storms and now I've woken to find it was dry overnight.

Top Bottom