Wales : South Glamorgan Velothon Wales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleaver

Veteran
Looks like you now have good sunny weather and low winds forecast - enjoy guys
What, I came to Wales for a true authentic experience and it isn't going to rain all the time :smile:

It was raining today while I was walking around the castle so its OK :smile:

U

User33236

All the Italian restaurants in the centre of town are really busy. Wonder why? Lol

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've just realised I'm intending to go into Cardiff tomorrow and there are going to be road closures.... What time will the roads be closed near central Cardiff!

bpsmith

Veteran
Feels like I only just went to bed. Barely slept and now getting sorted before the boys turn up.

Enjoy today guys!

3 bikes, 3 seats...3 riders strangely enough. :smile:

I am on the right. Pen C2, Wave 17 for me.

image.jpg

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I also had trouble sleeping, due to the anticipation!
Good luck everyone.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Caned it. 5 hours. Very happy with that.

Yep, there were a few pins on the road at one point, but as far as I could tell nothing more serious than punctures was caused.

Caerphilly mountain wasn't as bad as I was expecting, so I had a bit left at the end and gave it maximum beans for the last 10k which was fun.

Weather was very kind to us.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I saw lots of the finishers cycling around Cardiff and made it in and out of the area ok ish though I did manage to miss a turning or two going an unfamiliar route. Weather here looks nice, hopefully it was the same all the way round.

sleaver

Veteran
Thanks for
Seems like the anti bike brigade were out today. Hope everyone is okay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-33113259
thanks for posting the link but I may not read it. I saw one sign that said "Prison" and a white van man shout abuse at a group in front of me.

I think just the other side of when the road went up noticbly, there was congestion with people getting off for no obvious reason. There were a hell of a lot of bar and gel wrappers on the road so there were some suggestions they had tacks in them. But I didn't actually see any.

Other than that, I thought the local residents were excellent and supportive. Although, if I heard "This is the last hill" one more time there may have been trouble :smile:

I may do more of a write up someone but I'll just say now that I think I need a new pair of cleats. Due to no training, the Tumble and Caerphilly Mountain broke me and I had to walk and they aren't looking pretty. Even walking was hard :sad: On the Tumble, I looked around and there were more walkers than people riding. I just thought that it was about getting to the finish.

When I was at the top of Caerphilly, someone shouted "In you face Caerphilly Mountain" that got a laugh from everyone.

I haven't looked at my time, but with stops I'm guessing around 6h30.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There was a hold up at 40k ish that was rumoured to be due to tacks.

Great fun, lots of camaraderie and banter on the hills. Fun support from the roadside. Perfect weather. A great day's riding.

Saw the aftermath of two crashes, one of which looked serious (Blaenavon descent) Hope no one badly hurt.

Speedy exit from Cardiff and the next 30k ish was no fun at all but the rest was lovely.

I took my own food as I didn't trust the feed stations. Reportedly they were rubbish with precious little more than bananas (so I'm told).

Top Bottom