Wales : South Glamorgan Velothon Wales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dickyknees

Guru
Mudguards on, off, maybe. Should I take them? Also the wind has gone down and from a more northerly direction.

I suppose that closer to the day the forecast "might" be more accurate.

Who knows!

sleaver

Veteran
I officially have more money than sense!

As I need a car park from tomorrow until Monday and taking into account the number of things going on in Cardiff and that some of the roads will be closed due to racing, I've decided convenience is better rather than trying to drive around finding a 24hr car park and have pre-booked an NCP one :rolleyes:

Funny thing is that I think it will be no more, maybe even less, than if I used the car park the hotel uses and gets a discount with.

U

User33236

Parked up, bikes in hotel room and having a brew. Drive down was hell!

EDIT: Registration was a breeze. No queue :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
U

User33236

Weather report for tomorrow looking a bit better :smile:

image.jpg

sleaver

Veteran
I'm now in Cardiff and I have a room with a view. No joke, the prison is basically across the road and a train track from my window.

Just off the register now.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Done a wee reccy of the route from the bottom of the tumble back to Cardiff.

Tumble has some steep bits for sure, don't believe what they say about it going easy after the cattle grid - it goes steeper yet.

Not much of a payoff in the downhill either. Some steep climbs between tumble top and newbridge, then s long fairly flat section to Caerphilly.

Took slight wrong turn in one way system so missed very bottom part of the hill, but at the top of the high street there is an extremely long stretch with a gradient that easily matches anything the tumble has. Save your legs for Caerphilly is my advice.

Also, the stuff about downhill all the way to Cardiff is a lie. There is plenty of down, but just as much up.

So my view on route -

first forty is flat enough bar Celtic manor bump.

Usk to tumble seemed up and down (wasn't following exact route here though)

tumble is a long grindy challenge with some steep ramps especially up second hairpin

tumble top to newbridge has short twisty downs and a fair few ups

Newbridge to Caerphilly is dual carriageway and fairly easy

Caerphilly is horrible

After Travellers Rest Pub on left there is a second fast downhill section and at the bottom has a 90 degree turn into a very narrow lane. Be careful, I guarantee there will be accidents here.

The last stretch is not a downhill rest and watch out for some VERY steep speed bumps as you come to Cardiff.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Also beware that caerleon to the tumble is quite rolling terrain and by no means flat......there are some little stingers to warm the legs up for the tumble

Top Bottom