VeloVixen gone into administration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndreaJ

Veteran
I’ve bought a few things from Velo Vixen, it’s sad to see them go. Daughter actually got me a jersey from them for Christmas. Also like the FB group.

Ozzo from the back of CW!! 🤣🤣🤣

I definitely had some Ozzo kit I can recall the oval logo now. I wonder what they were...

A lot of my kit is DHB from wiggle. The sizes are accurate so I know what I'm getting.

Castelli sizing is all over the place. I think I had XXL tights from them once. I'm a medium everywhere else!

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Not that fit larger women consistently though!

I find SG clothing inconsistent, two of the same style of jersey in same labelled size would fit completely differently so one would have to go back even though I was happy to have both.

I've only bought two things from SG - bibs and a ls Jersey. The first jersey I had to return because it was far too big (the advice to go on hip size isn't great - it was flapping everywhere). I returned for another size and although better it was still a weird fit. I've since lost a lot of weight and although it fits nicely on my chest it's just far too big everywhere else. I just don't fit into their measurements which is a shame because the kit is jazzy. I didn't get on with the bib shorts either.

I tend to buy castelli or rapha, which for all its complaints of being 'Italian' sizing, is actually pretty good and fits well.

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Those don’t fit someone of my size. I look at Castelli ladies and it’s tiny!
Luckily I have loads of kit, shouldn’t need anything this year

I like that rapha tend to cater for more normal bodies tbh and wish more companies would do away with stupid women's sizing (even castelli - a 40 inch hip isn't large by any stretch) . I've not got the physique of a racer by any standards but I do cope okay with finding kit. I do wish places would offer a better range to women tho - I had a rant at Rapha as to why they kept releasing great rain jacket tech for men but women there was one jacket - the insulated rain jacket, suitable for approximately 2 days of the year 😂

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Blimey those are seriously dull colours and designs ;)

Seems to be they way bike fashion is nowadays . Dull AF.

OP
OP
A

AuroraSaab

Veteran
New bike frames are a bit the same to me at the moment. Lots of dull greens and greys.

I wish Planet X had kept 'Clearance' as a section on their menu. Made it easier to look for deals.

Last edited:

byegad

Legendary Member
On the returns thing - I think the main issue is that sizes and the actual fit in cycle clothing are very, very variable - I can be anything from a medium to an X-Large depending on the manufacturer. Sizing charts are often not that helpful and you can be right on border of two sizes. As a consequence I think customers are ordering two of the same item and seeing which fits best then returning the one that doesn't.
It is very sad that they have gone as they were one of a very few companies dedicated to support women cycling kit needs.
Another factor may aslo be that some of the bigger brands have also now started offering women a good range of kit designed specifically for women cyclists and not just scale down versions of mens' kit and also in a range of colours & designs.

Spot on regarding sizing!

Until I discovered Fat Lad at the Back I bought and returned loads of XL and XXL stuff that made me look like the proverbial sack of poo tied up ugly.

It's not only cycling kit!

I'm going to my son's wedding in April and all the family have hired suits. After giving the firm my measurements I went for a 'try on'. The suit came on a hanger saying 48R. Now I own a few jackets which are 48 or, in only one case 50". My waist is a 40/42/44 depending on the manufacturer and fit. and my inside leg is a short 27", so none of my trousers are an R.

The trousers were a good 2" too tight around what passes for my waist. as a bonus there was 6" too much leg, I suppose I could have not bothered with shoes. The waistcoat and jacket were 6" too tight!

Their reaction was....'Well this suit always comes up a bit small.' In which case they should have made allowances.

My wife takes a 12, 14, 16 or in one case,18* blouse depending on the shop. Why do they bother with size labels when they don't make them to that size?

*You are sworn to secrecy on the 18, on pain of my mysterious disappearance coinciding with a new vegetable plot appearing in our back garden.

Top Bottom