Ventura cp 50 (argos)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rodderstrotter

Calipers are fine, I just replaced blocks with clarks cps 240.
As to whether it's better or worth it to upgrade, I've no idea!
Thanks, one less think to worry about. I've got the clarks on my triban and am impressed so far, so much difference to my previous swissstops that cost 4 times the amount. I've got one reserved but can't make my mind up. I wonder if they'd take it back on the 30 day money back guarantee if I wasn't happy?

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Thanks, one less think to worry about. I've got the clarks on my triban and am impressed so far, so much difference to my previous swissstops that cost 4 times the amount. I've got one reserved but can't make my mind up. I wonder if they'd take it back on the 30 day money back guarantee if I wasn't happy?
Some items are excluded, not sure if the ventura is?

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Seems an apt time to update my bikes "progress" as it's exactly one year since I bought it, and it could be "last orders" for the bike at Argos.

image.jpg

Over the course of the year I've changed a few parts after riding it stock for a good few months first.
First off the pedals, basic spd shimano, then a slightly shorter 90mm deda zero stem. Brake blocks for clarks cps 240.
New bar tape as the white stuff was getting grubby and a charge spoon saddle as I came by one cheap.
Token TT bars were added as I began a season of club TT racing.
Next up was a wheel change, to superstar elite 30's and schwalbe ultremo zx tyres as i wanted something a bit more "sporty" for the TT racing. With the rear wheel I added an Ultegra 11-23 cassette leaving the original 11-25 on the R501's for winter and a Dura ace chain.
The last change I've made is to the crankset, replacing the stock ICE 50/34 and square taper BB with a second hand ebay Ultegra 6700 53/39 and new Ultegra hollow tech BB as I was looking for more speed on the TT's.
For the TT's the bottle cages, pump and saddle bag are removed and gives a bike weight of 8.85 kg with the TT bars (which is pretty much the same as several other higher spec/expensive road bikes and TT bikes I weighed at one of the TT's)

I have probably got a bit carried away with the "upgrades" but really just tried to address the bikes weak points. It's as far as I will go and the only other change would be to the rest of the groupset to remove the visible cables from the bars and go from 9 to 10 speed (as the crank is old Ultegra 10 speed) but I'm really not that bothered.
Total cost including the purchase price of the bike is probably around the £820 mark! Oops don't tell the wife :whistle: mainly due to the wheels, tyres, cassette and crankset.

I'm currently third in the clubs TT championship with two rounds to go and 18 points from first place. (Although points are awarded for every second improvement over your best time on four different courses through the season so you don't have to be the "fastest" to do well, just keep improving your own times through the season, I think it suits "newbies") I've had a "third" on the night and a couple of "fifths" out of 20 - 25 riders. I've no complaints with the bike..........

Last edited:
OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I'm glad you covered points . No matter where i ask no one can explain them to me :blink:
You also get 5 for starting 5 for finishing and 30 for being a Marshall which everyone has to be at least once.
I think other clubs do it a bit different - handicap or something, the problem with our system is once you become "good" it's hard to accumulate a lot of points because you may only improve by a few seconds each week, when you are a newbie you can make big jumps! This is my progress this year on our 10 course.

image.jpg

Blurb

Über Member
I'm considering this, does it have rack mounts? And im 5ft 9, would i be better off with the 22 or 23 inch frame?

Hi, i'm 182cm (5ft 11ish) and the 22" is perfect. Went out and did 80km today on mine. I would definitely say the 22" and probably a shorter stem depending on how "stretchy" you are, I think stock is 100mm.
I'm showing about the same amount of seatpost as in Justinslow's image above.

+1 Vickster's comment. There are no mounting points on the bike for a rack.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Hi, i'm 182cm (5ft 11ish) and the 22" is perfect. Went out and did 80km today on mine. I would definitely say the 22" and probably a shorter stem depending on how "stretchy" you are, I think stock is 100mm.
I'm showing about the same amount of seatpost as in Justinslow's image above.

+1 Vickster's comment. There are no mounting points on the bike for a rack.
How are you finding the bike, any changes yet or are you riding it stock for now?

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Seems an apt time to update my bikes "progress" as it's exactly one year since I bought it, and it could be "last orders" for the bike at Argos.

View attachment 100509

Over the course of the year I've changed a few parts after riding it stock for a good few months first.
First off the pedals, basic spd shimano, then a slightly shorter 90mm deda zero stem. Brake blocks for clarks cps 240.
New bar tape as the white stuff was getting grubby and a charge spoon saddle as I came by one cheap.
Token TT bars were added as I began a season of club TT racing.
Next up was a wheel change, to superstar elite 30's and schwalbe ultremo zx tyres as i wanted something a bit more "sporty" for the TT racing. With the rear wheel I added an Ultegra 11-23 cassette leaving the original 11-25 on the R501's for winter and a Dura ace chain.
The last change I've made is to the crankset, replacing the stock ICE 50/34 and square taper BB with a second hand ebay Ultegra 6700 53/39 and new Ultegra hollow tech BB as I was looking for more speed on the TT's.
For the TT's the bottle cages, pump and saddle bag are removed and gives a bike weight of 8.85 kg with the TT bars (which is pretty much the same as several other higher spec/expensive road bikes and TT bikes I weighed at one of the TT's)

I have probably got a bit carried away with the "upgrades" but really just tried to address the bikes weak points. It's as far as I will go and the only other change would be to the rest of the groupset to remove the visible cables from the bars and go from 9 to 10 speed (as the crank is old Ultegra 10 speed) but I'm really not that bothered.
Total cost including the purchase price of the bike is probably around the £820 mark! Oops don't tell the wife :whistle: mainly due to the wheels, tyres, cassette and crankset.

I'm currently third in the clubs TT championship with two rounds to go and 18 points from first place. (Although points are awarded for every second improvement over your best time on four different courses through the season so you don't have to be the "fastest" to do well, just keep improving your own times through the season, I think it suits "newbies") I've had a "third" on the night and a couple of "fifths" out of 20 - 25 riders. I've no complaints with the bike..........
Update,
Came 5th on the night again out of 22 riders on Thursday night on the 10 course. Beat my time again with a 24.29 (official time) to leapfrog the two riders in front of me in the championship as they didn't improve. So I now sit in first place with one round remaining.
I managed to beat on the night several high spec TT bikes costing many thousands of pounds, the ventura is quite capable.

My recent results on the 10 course, my first attempt was last August when I got the bike with a 33.27. So with a bit of training and regular rideouts it's amazing what you can achieve. I've added to my kit along the way also - skinsuit, TT helmet etc which have all helped to go faster.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom