Ventura cp 50 (argos)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Ventura CP50 in action,
image.jpg

On my way to 9th out of 18 riders (21 started 3 DNF's) on tonight's time trial, my third event. (Still using the R501's and cheap road tyres)

Last edited:

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Seen a couple of these around here, not a bad looking bike to be fair. One young lad I see quite a bit always in jeans and T-shirt obviously just uses it to get around but still going non the less.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Seen a couple of these around here, not a bad looking bike to be fair. One young lad I see quite a bit always in jeans and T-shirt obviously just uses it to get around but still going non the less.
I haven't seen another one yet! Yeah it seems a good bike but I've nothing to compare it to. I hold my own on it on our local club TT's regularly beating other bikes but also being beaten by other bikes! So it's no worse and no better than some other bikes it's mainly down to the rider!
Fitted my new superstar elite 30's, Scwalbe ultremos and ultegra 11-23 cassette at the weekend (£230) so now I've effectively changed the bike quite dramatically from stock shaving off over 700g. My bike still weighs in at 9.25kg with the new wheelset and TT bars fitted, so it's still not super light and never will be! I really can't fault the bike as yet.
image.jpg

And my first wheel road test
https://www.strava.com/activities/301997104

Drago

Legendary Member
Don't get too hung up on weight. Firstly, it's far from being the most important performance variable, and second, there's no universal method of weighing a bike. Not many manufacturers quote a figure that's ready to ride with tyres, pedals etc.

Glad to see you're enjoying it and doing a bit of giant killing into the bargain.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Don't get too hung up on weight. Firstly, it's far from being the most important performance variable, and second, there's no universal method of weighing a bike. Not many manufacturers quote a figure that's ready to ride with tyres, pedals etc.

Glad to see you're enjoying it and doing a bit of giant killing into the bargain.
Cheers, yeah your right, add my two bottles full up and that's another 1.5kg. I try not to think about it and only take off all the unnecessary stuff during TT's.
Was reading a mag the other day comparing £1500 bikes and they were all 7.5kg - 8.5kg so only really meant that the ventura is probably about right for its cost.
I like to think I'm doing some giant killing, but really I'm only racing myself! If I can keep improving my times over the season I'll be happy.

sight-pin

Veteran
Don't forget the weight of the "£1500 bikes and they were all 7.5kg - 8.5kg" is normally not including pedals an all the other paraphernalia you have fitted.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Don't forget the weight of the "£1500 bikes and they were all 7.5kg - 8.5kg" is normally not including pedals an all the other paraphernalia you have fitted.
Absolutely, saddle packs and spares, pumps, pedals, lights, bottles etc etc which we all generally load our bikes with.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Absolutely, saddle packs and spares, pumps, pedals, lights, bottles etc etc which we all generally load our bikes with.
Very true, BUT .... the 7.5kg bike plus all the above still ends up lighter than the 8.5kg bike plus all the above. If you start with a lighter bike you'll end with a lighter bike :okay:

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Very true, BUT .... the 7.5kg bike plus all the above still ends up lighter than the 8.5kg bike plus all the above. If you start with a lighter bike you'll end with a lighter bike :okay:
Fair point, and my 9.25kg weight was actually without most of the tat and was in "race" trim, so with all the equipment it's probably nearer 10kg. Which I'm totally cool with as it was cheap, I'm not expecting it to be featherweight for what I paid. But compared to other £400 - £600 bikes I don't think its too shabby.

Top Bottom