Ventura cp 50 (argos)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Thanks for the info. to which I will look into. I think I'll leave my seat post alone, till later on in the year.

I was checking out those muddy fox bibs at Sports Direct, which seem a bargain at around 20 quid! They have the blue looking foam padding inside, which looks quite durable.

It'll be strange for me because I've never gone out without wearing any undies! How do our fellow cyclists feel, when they first ventured out wearing no undies?

I'm making small progress, each week as I am a total unfit newbie.
I'm 5' 10 and was 13.5 stones and after 3 weeks of smallish amounts of cycling, I'm down to 12.6 stones! Yay!

Talking about coincidence, I've got the crud 2 road racer mud guards too. They are fidgety to install, and I keep having to adjust the clearances because they keep tapping against the wheel rims.

Good luck with your timed ride event.

Did you install those little "furry" pads? I agree they are fiddly, but I've somehow managed to get mine to run pretty good, I just pull the guard over a bit or adjust the little screws on the slotted hole near where it attaches to the actual guard.
Yes not wearing underwear was strange at first and I didn't think it would be better but it definetly is for me! I've never had issues with chaffing though, just numb bum syndrome, usually takes me 5 miles or so to get comfy then it doesn't bother me until I start clocking higher milages when it returns, and for me the only cure is regular rides to get used to it.

andyfraser

Über Member
Swerve the Sports Direct bibs, they will almost certainly be awful. Wiggle's in house brand, DHB, have similarly priced bibs which are far superior (I've used both and learned so you don't have to).

You get used to the lack of undies very quickly. It's much more comfortable without them, and as long as you're not showing your baws to anyone, it really doesn't matter.
The Sports Direct cycling trousers and shorts (not bibs) are ok for short journeys like my commute. I've been using a pair that someone got me for Christmas. The Sports Direct in Cirencester is having a closing down sale this weekend and I was able to pick some more up for £6 per pair.

MikeW-71

Veteran
It'll be strange for me because I've never gone out without wearing any undies! How do our fellow cyclists feel, when they first ventured out wearing no undies?
It was wierd the first time... But it is better :smile:

I also echo the advice re- DHB. Their new Active range is excellent value (even more than usual!) and the pad in the bib tights is good. I know because I bought some for winter commuting :smile:

jeffo50

Regular
Swerve the Sports Direct bibs, they will almost certainly be awful. Wiggle's in house brand, DHB, have similarly priced bibs which are far superior (I've used both and learned so you don't have to).

You get used to the lack of undies very quickly. It's much more comfortable without them, and as long as you're not showing your baws to anyone, it really doesn't matter.
Cheers Andy.
Thanks and very much appreciated, indeed.

jeffo50

Regular
Did you install those little "furry" pads? I agree they are fiddly, but I've somehow managed to get mine to run pretty good, I just pull the guard over a bit or adjust the little screws on the slotted hole near where it attaches to the actual guard.
Yes not wearing underwear was strange at first and I didn't think it would be better but it definetly is for me! I've never had issues with chaffing though, just numb bum syndrome, usually takes me 5 miles or so to get comfy then it doesn't bother me until I start clocking higher milages when it returns, and for me the only cure is regular rides to get used to it.

Oh, I see. I attached those furry things but they where not properly aligned, and when I pulled them off, they got damaged. So I left them off.

I'll have to stick something else on, to stop the annoying tapping sound.

Going back to the seat comfort issue that I had, my arse is still alreet with the current setup. Looks like my gel seat cover will be made redundant.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Been doing a few cosmetic upgrades -

image.jpg

Changed the saddle for a Charge "spoon", thanks @davester65 ! And changed the bar tape for some spangly stuff to replace the now grubby oe white tape, I used "lifeline" essential which was quite easy to put on and came with new plugs, finishing tape and some strips for behind the shifters. The only issue is when pulled under tension it kind of goes from red to pinkish, oh well it was only £6 or so! So I've now got three shades of red going on, I wanted to do something different as most people go with black saddle and black tape.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
This was 17 August 2014

Part of my ride was one of the local tt rides 10 miles, which I did in 33 mins (the best guys do it in about 23) so some fitness required although I've hardly ridden in ages and I'm coming from a mountain bike. My mates are around 26-27mins so that's my target. My dream is to rock up next year on this and post a reasonable time -David and Goliath stuff - £400 bike v thousands, wish me luck!

On Thursday I completed my first time trial, managing a 28.42 time and was 19th out of 27 riders. The quickest time was 23.03 and the slowest 34.49 my mates were 28.30 (tt bike) 28.54 and 29.17 (road bikes).
There were some proper (quick) time trial bikes and riders, and some "ordinary" roadies present, the ventura performed admirably and no one laughed at me or my bike!
Modifications from stock were - Token clip on tt bars, shorter Deda 90mm stem, Charge spoon saddle, basic Shimano spd pedals, clarks cps 240 brake pads and a vittoria Rubino rear tyre.
A reasonable time was posted, as I hoped back in August, let's see if I can improve my times through the season.
image.jpg

Apologies if you are reading this twice as I have also posted in the racing section.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Why not just keep the new wheels and tyres for racing and wear the old ones into the ground .
Yeah I may well do that if I can be bothered to keep changing them over, but it's not so simple. My R501 cassette is over 1000 miles old and my chain obviously, it's not working well with the new cassette, so I've got to change the chain, then I'll be putting the old wheels back in with a new chain after a TT unless I swap chains aswell. Lots of hassle.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Or I suppose I could buy another new cassette for the R501's but I guess at some point there will be a mismatch as the TT's are really low milage.

Top Bottom