Vertical Radiators

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Our kitchen is getting a make over in less than two weeks but I need to buy some vertical radiators . We got quoted a while back to supply and fit a couple of Barlo Slieve verticals (double) . 1800x505 . Anyone bought anything similar ? Or any other brands / models to suggest ? As this is getting done now under a kitchen refit , I’m gonna buy the radiators myself for fitting. Any online merchants recommended ?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Screwfix have a reasonable variety. It terms of heat output, they are quite expensive compared to horizontal ones.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-...rientation=vertical&page_size=20&page_start=0

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
I have just fitted one.
Absolute PITA as it has 4 seperate hangings getting it straight is hard.
The plaster has to be absolutely flat.
I used plumb world online. Reasonable price and good service as the first one was damaged in transit I sent it back with the delivery courier straight away and got a replacement next day.

IMG-20220425-WA0002.jpeg

We have a few of them - mostly from Screwfix
The people fitting them didn't mention any problems fitting them

We did get a lot of people saying they are not as hot as normal ones but we have found they world really well - get hot quickly and heat the room well

When the central heating is drained we do find we need to 'bleed' them a couple of times because the air seems to stay in them more than the normal radiators - but once this is done they are fine

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I had one in my lounge which I got rid of becasue it was old and started leaking. I found it put out more heat than my new one, perhaps because there was more surface area on show. But I've not heard anything bad about them, just that they seem to be massively over-priced compared to conventional ones, but if you like the look and can afford it then crack on!

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
It’s more about freeing wall space up to expand the kitchen into area. Certainly a hell of a lot more expensive but that’s the cost unfortunately. Im not fitting , kitchen fitters have all the trades covered .

Before you even get a vertical radiator you need to consider what your walls are made of. We have breezeblock with dot and dab over the top with single skin brick outer so had to throw the enclosed fixings out the window and get some robust ones. This is because Vertical radiators are very heavy and you will need to ensure you have sufficient heavyweight fixing points to hold the weight of the radiator and the weight of the water or else you’ll get problems. The weight is essentially on two bolts rather than four.

Design is another key point to consider. To avoid any issues with hot and cold spots you should ensure the radiator has a baffle installed to distribute the water evenly or else it can go straight through and leave the top stone cold. You may need a flow valve fitting to control the flow of water too.

Once installed and up and running they are great. Very warm especially if you put reflective film on the wall.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Before you even get a vertical radiator you need to consider what your walls are made of. We have breezeblock with dot and dab over the top with single skin brick outer so had to throw the enclosed fixings out the window and get some robust ones. This is because Vertical radiators are very heavy and you will need to ensure you have sufficient heavyweight fixing points to hold the weight of the radiator and the weight of the water or else you’ll get problems. The weight is essentially on two bolts rather than four.

Design is another key point to consider. To avoid any issues with hot and cold spots you should ensure the radiator has a baffle installed to distribute the water evenly or else it can go straight through and leave the top stone cold. You may need a flow valve fitting to control the flow of water too.

Once installed and up and running they are great. Very warm especially if you put reflective film on the wall.

I’m aware the wall will need strengthened as it’s plaster board .

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We've got column style radiators in our house, and three of them are vertical format where it made logical sense. They are a good bit dearer than standard style rads though not silly money but a lot cheaper than proper cast iron radiators which are very expensive indeed. We went for the varnished black steel finish which does look cool in my view. Got 'em from

https://www.columnrads.co.uk/column-radiators/raw-metal-radiators

F8156533-BF7E-416D-99CB-295ACBD57526.jpeg

Last edited:

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Bought this one from Trade Radiators and never regretted it:
Radiator*.jpg
The stainless steel means no rust and no maintenance; the ladder construction means it could be fitted so that the door handle goes into the wide gap in the rungs; the position behind the door means it is in exactly the right place to top up and hold the heat in the room; the ladder also gives a very useful tea-towel dryer. It has never given any problems in over 10 years: thoroughly recommended.

@MrGrumpy, I believe some radiators are also directional with the valves so check the temperature valve and the flow rate valves are on the correct sides for the wall location as some radiators can only be fitted one way round.

We had to run some extra pipework to get ours to work but in doing so we set the pipework so it’s come out the wall and straight into the valve rather than from below.

Looks neater and slicker in our opinion as there is no exposed pipe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom