Very close police car overtake...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
8 seconds in the police vehicle is along side. Would there be any way of accurately measuring the proximity of the police vehicle to the cyclist save re-enacting the pass? The traffic island in the middle of the road APPEARS some way off and there MAY be sufficient room for the police vehicle driver to position his vehicle to give the cyclist more space. There is also a vehicle ahead emerging from a junction on the left, turning right onto the other side of the road to come toward the police vehicle. There does not seem to be any other vehicle approaching the police vehicle on the other side of the road at the time of the pass necessitating the police vehicle to be driven closer to the nearside kerb as occurred.

For this matter to progress BM really has to make a complaint to the police and for them to investigate.

Varying small annoyances, but your point is still total and utter rubbish.

Crankarm

Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by User3143
No, it's people that take into account the ''what if'' scenarios that make the roads more dangerous for people that don't account for them.

You could go on all day about ''what if's'' and still come to the same conclusion and on this basis - it's bollox.

What on earth are you on about?

People who drive more safely(taking into account possibilities... ifs) are making the road more dangerous for the people that don't??

Can't you see how crazy that is?

There is a balance needed for the if, and the amount of risk something poses...
Here we have the risks of speed and a vulnerable road user, matched with (as people want to point out, but wasn't that close) oncoming traffic, and maybe the traffic island. Tell me, which risks can the driver control... (note: speed + passing distance).

Instead here, they decided not to reduce the speed or increase the passing distance... if they couldn't increase the passing distance because of the oncoming traffic/island, they should have used a more suitable speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentMikey
All he had to do was place his offside wheels near the dotted line like the other cars did, and it would have been a perfectly fine overtake, no risks from the oncoming traffic, and no risk to me either.

People are missing out that oncoming traffic would have most likely been slowing + moving as far to their left...
Even if they didn't "behave" there was still enough room... and after all a clipped wing mirror is a bit better than a broken elbow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lovejoy
No, it's an agreement to a like-for-like experience. If it hadn't been a police response car, I'd have been every bit as upset as you.

Anyway, as I say, let's just agree to disagree.

You need to calm down. I doubt any Class One driver would even want to attempt it anyway, and most people know this... thus people can bravado it up and say "yea sure, my kids can stand there all day and I won't be worried one bit...".

Ben Lovejoy said:
Like I say, let's just agree to disagree. What matters is that it happened to you, and you're unhappy about it. I wish you success if you decide to pursue it.

BentMikey said:
No Ben, admit your error. You've lost your debate point, move on. You don't have the courage to place your family in a similar situation, so you know you're wrong, and your refusal to admit it is p1$$ poor. I no longer have any respect for your debating, you're all mouth and no trousers.

drsquirrel said:
Varying small annoyances, but your point is still total and utter rubbish.

User3143 said:
No it's not

:smooch:

I seem to have inadvertantly interrupted a big love in ;).

Or .........fight, fight

:thumbsup: ;)

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Here's a streetview link, I couldn't find any cars closer to the spot I pulled over at, but it's pretty close by and IMO the road is the same width. There's loads of room - just look at how much room the red and silver cars gave me, and neither of them had a wheel across the centreline.

Ashtrayhead said:
I don't think the driver saw you as his road position doesn't deviate at all.

It's possible, this also crossed my mind. Mind, that would still be poor driving given that all the other cars saw me. Or perhaps it's a good argument for not cowering in the gutter like I did in this video since the other cars saw me riding in a normal secondary!!

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
So Lee, would you dare to drive a car exactly like that past Ben's wife and children standing in the road in the same spot as I was parked?

Crankarm

Guru
BM - have you thought of fixing one of those flashing amber lights such as tractors, street sweepers and rubbish lorries use, to the back of your recumbent? Might make you more visible. Just a thought. Don't flame me.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
:thumbsup: I don't think I have any problem with being seen. If anything, the reverse is true. Whether people care after seeing me, well that's a whole different problem.

NigC

Well, this thread has certainly stirred things up :thumbsup:

I've had a look and as with a lot of these videos, it's really difficult to appreciate the how such a pass makes you feel. I've had passes of that distance and closer and they're no fun at all :smooch: Being stationery may make it a little easier, but it's still scary at that speed.

I'd say, given your obvious frustration with some of the comments, BM, you really have to submit this video to the police and see what response they have.

User3143 said:
No it's not

This is typical of most of your replies, worthless one line statments.

-No its not.
-I didn't mean that.
-You missed the meaning.
-He wasn't moving.
-etc

Which pretty sums up how you are approaching the whole lot, childish.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
So that's a no then. I'm not surprised, really, when a several of coppers have said it's not acceptable, and that no reasonable man would overtake his own wife and kids like that.

Crankarm

Guru
BentMikey said:
So that's a no then. I'm not surprised, really, when a several of coppers have said it's not acceptable, and that no reasonable man would overtake his own wife and kids like that.

Then make a formal complaint to the police ................. ;).

Top Bottom