Very close police car overtake...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rusky

CC Addict
Considering the road was clear, it was unacceptable. Report it.

Mark_Robson

Wow.......that was way way too close. Even if they are on a call they still need to respect other road users.
If you report it though I doubt that any action will be taken against them as your still in one piece.

Yes

Doesn't matter what the emergency is, no point creating another emergency in order to get there.

Yes, perhaps there is more "excuse" (I use the word loosely) than the average close pass but given that as mentioned there was no need to pass so close, at the very least the driver should be made aware of how close he got (probably isn't even aware of it, and if not reported, never will be)

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Cripes that was close!

Mikey, the rear view seems to have a bit missing between seeing the car in the distance and you exclaiming. I see 45 seconds and then it jumps to 49.

Abs

User3143 said:
I never said he was.

You shouldn't drive that close to vulnerable road users, so the police shouldn't be doing the same. The blue lights do not give them and instant "push the boundaries of safety to their limits"...

User3143 said:
I never said he was.

Stop being so defensive.My statement was meant in the context of saying if BM was a car then it would have been acceptable to an extent but as he isn't it's not.

potsy

Rambler
Would expect better from a well trained driver like that tbh,especially as there was plenty of room for the overtake.Can't see you getting much of a response other than 'emergency call' kind of excuse,but might be worth a mention anyway.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
It would have been way too close if you were moving, but given that you had clearly seen them, pulled over and were stationary, and that there was moving oncoming traffic (which is by definition unpredictable in what it might do), I would say this was ok.

If they had run wider, and then been forced to swerve by the oncoming traffic, things would have been a whole lot less controllable.

We all have different thresholds, of course, but I'd have been happy enough if it had been me rather than you.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
HaloJ said:
Cripes that was close!

Mikey, the rear view seems to have a bit missing between seeing the car in the distance and you exclaiming. I see 45 seconds and then it jumps to 49.

Abs

Yeah thanks - I'm just trying a re-upload. It was fine in Adobe Premiere, not sure what happened there.

GrasB

Veteran
It's an absolutely disgraceful piece of driving from someone who has been trained to a high level of competency & completely inappropriate for a high speed pass like that to be made. If it has to be that close then they slow down or if they can go wider they should.

Sorry lee but no, BM only had to lose balance, something which the wake could cause & he could easily hit the side of the vehicle that's travelling at high speed. Or put it another way had I done a pass that close to a cyclist at highish speeds on my RoSPA examination, the standard that Police drivers should be trained up from what I understand, I'd be instantly failed.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
50cm from my right shoulder is enough to make me want to cack my pants when he's doing at least 40mph, if not 50. This is after I'm leaning well over towards the kerb, too. I was NOT happy at the time, and still not now.

Top Bottom